Managed Payments - Observations...

Observation Number 1 - Now that our "funds" are transferred to our bank accounts, I have actually almost completely stopped spending money on eBay. Except to pay the difference on those overpriced eBay packaging supplies...

Observation Number 2 - It pushed me to downgrade my eBay store to Basic...

Observation Number 3 - My own website traffic has increased since eBay implemented managed payments from eBay shoppers looking for other venues to shop on...

Good Job eBay...

Thank You, a "Client" since 2001...

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

marnotom!
Community Member

I'm not trying to be a cheerleader for Managed Payments, but I am confused by your reasoning.

@brettjet38 wrote:

It pushed me to downgrade my eBay store to Basic...

I don't get the sense that MP has forced anybody to make any changes to how they merchandise on eBay.  The suggestion to downgrade has been made by a few sellers on the Discussion Boards as part of "taking stock" (so to speak) of one's selling practices.  Now that sellers are keeping track of one set of fees instead of two and that set of fees is more transparent under this system, many sellers are now more aware of what the real costs involved in selling on eBay are and are adapting and adjusting their business models.

@brettjet38 wrote:

My own website traffic has increased since eBay implemented managed payments from eBay shoppers looking for other venues to shop on...

You say traffic has increased, but have sales increased?

eBay itself is going through a major renovation of sorts and Managed Payments is just part of the equation, although for sellers that is a significant part.  The Managed Payments switch is not such a big thing from buyers' perspective, so I'd say there's other stuff going on here that may or may not involve eBay.  If your buyers were paying with PayPal funds accrued from eBay sales prior to Managed Payments, I don't think the loss of their ability to do this would necessarily drive them to your website.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

??

I do not discuss sales, I am only pointing out observations. But yes not only have my sales gone up on my website but so have the number of people offering to sell items to me through said site, most used eBay in the past, but no longer do...

You seem to forget that most individuals are both Buyers AND Sellers on eBay or at least they used to be...

...and many have been burned by eBay and its ever-changing rules and regulations. So it's easier to use Socal Media or Shopify, yes I have one of those too...

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

1.) Yes. This was a truly stupid move on eBay's part. Can anyone who also sells on etsy, which uses Ayden for payment processing, tell us if etsy allows their payments to be held as a balance for buying?

2.) I downgraded my Store, but not because of Managed Payments. We've had so many promotions with thousands of Free Listings, that I even considered dropping my Stores entirely, but I like the opportunity to put listings into my own sub-categories and also the discounts on branded shipping products.

3.) I also sell on AZ and on PoshMark. They are still just as dead as they ever were.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

I do not discuss sales, I am only pointing out observations. But yes not only have my sales gone up on my website but so have the number of people offering to sell items to me through said site, most used eBay in the past, but no longer do...

You seem to forget that most individuals are both Buyers AND Sellers on eBay or at least they used to be...

...and many have been burned by eBay and its ever-changing rules and regulations. So it's easier to use Socal Media or Shopify, yes I have one of those too...

I think that if you re-read my previous post, you'll see that I do make the connection that many buyers are also sellers.

My confusion with your post is that you seem to be attributing what you're observing to the implimentation of Managed Payments, and I think there are too many variables at play to make a cause-and-effect connection here.  Apologies if I'm off base here, but the title of your post implies that there's a connection between Managed Payments and these changes you're observing.  I don't think it's that cut and dried as there are many other changes happening with eBay and eCommerce in general.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply