When to ship a sold listing

van-tt
Community Member
I received a message that one of my items has sold. This is my first sale. But it also says the buyer hasn’t paid yet. When I check the status it says waiting for payment. So at what point I should ship the item? Do I wait until receiving the money? How long does it normally take? Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

EBay will tell you when the buyer pays AND the payment has cleared.

Then you ship.

Disconcertingly, as a new seller, that payment will still be Held by eBay against your performance for 21 days.

You can shorten this Hold by using tracking.

• Tracking is very expensive and many Canadian sellers ship without it. Long story -Search the Boards for Cookie Jar Insurance.

After the Hold eBay will transfer your payment to the checking account you set up for Managed Payments. Some sellers have this done daily. Others choose weekly (Tuesday) payments.

Even more disconcertingly, it takes a day or so for your Payment to reach your bank.

Come back here if you have problems or need your hand held. First sales (YAY! A Sale!) can be scary because you are not used to the system.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

BTW- if the buyer doesn't pay, eBay will automatically cancel the transaction after four days, unless you have instructed them otherwise.

Meanwhile eBay has invoiced them and will send a Day Three reminder.

The Cancellation (formerly called a Dispute) allows you to relist immediately, gives the deadbeat a Strike, and returns any fees you may have been charged.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You ship it when it shows as being paid in your sold items.  In sellers hub there is an awaiting shipment section and once the item is in that section it means that the buyers payment is confirmed and that it will be deposited into your account less the eBay fees.  As stamps mentioned it can take longer for newer sellers to receive their money.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

BTW- if the buyer doesn't pay, eBay will automatically cancel the transaction after four days, unless you have instructed them otherwise.

@reallynicestamps 

I don't believe that is true. As far as I know it is only automatic if your settings are set up to do so.   If you already had the old system set up automatically to open a claim then it will now cancel automatically on the fifth day.  But if you didn't use the unpaid item assistant in the old system, it won't be canceled automatically unless you now set it up to do so.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I've been told both and haven't had a UID is ages.

Shall we ask tyler@ebay ?

I suspect you are right, and better to  be too cautious than not careful enough.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Other way around.

Automatic cancellation has to be set up.  If not set up, the Seller manually uses the Cancel Order button if still unpaid (there are reasons not to have unpaid on automatic).

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items?id=4137

-|-

Message 7 of 7
latest reply