has anyone else solved this problem - Paypal

Paypal and ebay

I attempted to register a PayPal account but couldn’t because “There is already a PayPal account connected to my email address”.  (I had one (a PayPal account) over 10 years ago when I had a different phone number.

(I couldn’t sign in to the old account, because they couldn’t call me at the old # and there was no way to change the #.  Pay Pal Help said “go to SETTIINGS to change the phone no., but you  have to be IN your account before you can get into SETTINGS, and I couldn’t Sign In because of the wrong phone #.

How can I solve this problem?

PayPal’s log-in process wouldn’t let me continue to Log in after asking me to confirm a number that was 12 years old & not mine any more & I couldn’t change it to my current one.

One answer I received & followed the instructions & got a non-answer:

Go here to contact Paypal - fill up the form

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/contact-us?email=privacy

267 views

View Upvoters

I did the above & Got this reply form the Help Centre: 

“Sorry, we're unable to display this information. Please try again soon.”

After trying different methods to contact them for a whole week-end.

I tried sending them a message through their FaceBook page & got this answer:

“Sorry, I don’t understand.”  I really did use simple English.

Other people with the same problem got these idiotic answers:

Tech Support

+3How can I log in to PayPal if my phone number changed?

Answer

Hello.

Steps on how to change phone number on PayPal without logging in:

1. First of all, log in to your PayPal account.    !!!!
  2. Go to Settings.
  3. Click on Update choice in order to edit the existing information.
  4. Enter the new phone number if you have PayPal phone number changed in the field provided.
  5. Click on update number.
  6. In case, you want to assign a brand-new number, then click on “+” icon.
  7. Click on the Add range choice.
  8. After adding a brand range to your PayPal account, you will have to verify the amount also

Someone replied:

The question is *NOT* “How can I change the phone number I have registered with Paypal?”.

The question is “How can I log in to PayPal if my phone number changed?”

So why does the first step in your solution read; “First of all, log in to your PayPal account.”?

Another reply:

I can’t login because I forgot my password and I’ve changed my phone number, which is needed to verify my existence in order to change my password. Circle of doom.  -  EXACTLY.

Upvote

·

I found the same issue. Every form of help also asks for you to use the mobile number associated with the account but a) I can't remember it and b) it's not in use so I can't receive codes to it anyway.

Can't find any information anywhere to resolve this.

Upvote

how to change phone number on PayPal without logging in:

1. First of all, log in to your PayPal account.

REALLY?

Upvote

·

November 30

You cannot log in to paypal without your phone. If so, how?

Upvote

·

·

January 20

Why would you title this “without logging in” and then state the first step is to log in? No help at all.

Upvote

·

Add Comment

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You didn't mention a password until the last part of your post so I'm not sure if the real problem is that you can't log in because you forgot your password or do you normally log in with your email address and phone number?  I just log in with my email and password so that's why I'm confused as to why the issue is your phone number.

If it is a password problem, according to PP help there are a few different ways that you can reset that but they aren't giving you any options?

1. Go to our Log In page.
  2. Click Having trouble logging in? 
  3. Enter the email address you use for PayPal and click Next. (You'll be asked to confirm your identity by selecting a verification method.)
  4. Select how you want to recover your password and click Next. (You'll be shown some options such as Have us call you, Receive a textReceive an emailAnswer your security questions or Confirm through Facebook Messenger.)

I don't know if that will help.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

In general you can change a phone number or change a password, but you cannot do both at the same time -- you need one to change the other. Otherwise anyone could take over your account simply by requesting a new phone number and a new password at the same time. If you do not know your password and no longer have access to your old phone number, you could be trying to take over someone else's account as far as PayPal knows.

Use a different email address to register a new PayPal account.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

When I attempted to log in, I tried to use just my email & password, but there was a third question that I couldnt get past.  It said  Confirm this phone no. and we will call you on this no.  - it was my old no. so, I couldnt confirm it and of course they couldnt send me a code on it, since it was no longer my no.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I only have one email address.  I tried getting a Gmail address once, but they have such strict security that I couldnèt even get into my own email.  I worked over that for about a week-end a few years ago.  I have a deadline to downsize, now.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

couldn’t because “There is already a PayPal account connected to my email address”.

Open a new gmail or hotmail account.

Use your new credit card.

EASY.pngI opened a gmail account last year and it took literally 10 minutes.

But you can also get hotmail, sympatico, videotron, yahoo, outlook,  and shaw emails.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

This message reinforce my belief that I should not enter my cell phone when logging in. PayPal is always asking me to enter it, and I always say "Not now". I don't want to be stuck in a loop like this if I don't remember my password and if my phone number changes.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Being forced to open a new email account on top of a new PP account is frustrating to say the least.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

sopsie20
Community Member
Yeah I had this exact problem. Ended up calling Customer service and they still couldn’t do anything but cancel my account. Absolutely ridiculous right?!
Message 8 of 8
latest reply