About Insuring a Return

Has anyone had experience with the following?

I'm in the process of buying a return label for a buyer.  I'm considering insuring the shipment but I don't know if there"s a point.

I'm buying the label but the buyer is the shipper, so if a claim is to be made who would file the claim and collect the insurance money should the item get lost en route?  (The shipper or the person paying for the label?)

It will be shipped via USPS.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

About Insuring a Return

@sylviebee wrote:

Has anyone had experience with the following?

I'm in the process of buying a return label for a buyer.  I'm considering insuring the shipment but I don't know if there"s a point.

I'm buying the label but the buyer is the shipper, so if a claim is to be made who would file the claim and collect the insurance money should the item get lost en route?  (The shipper or the person paying for the label?)

It will be shipped via USPS.

If they are shipping with a tracked service as per eBay requirements it should include 100 free insurance. From your end it really depends on the value of the item if you wanted to add extra insurance. The post office covers loss but damage is not so easy to claim especially if it arrives and damage is considered concealed. As far as I know the only requirement is tracking. I've never seen anything in regards to buyer packing up safely. I've witnessed many a customer arrive at the post office without a box, purchase a box and then not include packing material to help with its safe arrival. You may want to include that when you message your buyer. (If a claim is required

-Lotz

Link for making a claim with USPS

https://www.usps.com/help/international-claims.htm

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

About Insuring a Return

Does USPS First Class include $100 insurance?

I'm not sure you answered the question.  🙂

If I buy extra insurance and something happens would I file the claim and potentially collect with USPS or would the shipper (buyer) file the claim?

I would still have to refund the buyer if it arrives damaged, but wouldn't the buyer also be the one who has to file the claim and potentially collect with USPS?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

About Insuring a Return

The person who pays for the insurance is the one who makes the claim.

But if the return is for 'damage' that's pretty moot. Who is to say that the damage happened after shipping ?

USPS is not bad, evidently, about refunding postage, but damage claims involving a second postal service?

This may help with the included insurance part:

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

But the best insurance is Tracking, which you can control, and good packaging, which you cannot.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

About Insuring a Return

According to the information on the page to which Lotz linked, only the “U.S. shipper” can file an insurance claim for an international mail item sent through USPS.

As you’ve figured out, First Class International is not insurable through USPS. You might be able to get third-party insurance, though, I’m not sure.

As you said in your first post, is it worth bothering with insurance, anyway? Is it loss that you're concerned about, damage, or both?  

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

About Insuring a Return

@sylviebee 

For First Class domestic(USA to USA) insurance is included. For First Class Intl. it is not included. 16.30 Additional to send it Registered.  (Right hand side of page.)

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#_c432

@marnotom! 

I'm not sure how often this happens but I've seen a number of posts on dot com and people trying to file claims being told they had to bring item to their local post office to have a formal inspection done.(Buyers were none to pleased). This could be random or value generated or by descretion.  Even for lost shipments there can be a silly wait time for paying off on claims.

The rules and hoops for damage claims  with canadapost can be many.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/receiving/mail-delivery/received-damaged-mail

-Lotz

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

About Insuring a Return

Thanks for the replies.   I wanted to insure for damage because it's the kind of item that could easily sustain some damage but it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Suppose I'm a little miffed about this return because the buyer claimed the item wasn't described accurately and is damaged.  In reality it's in outstanding condition and finding an item in the condition of the one I sent him is rare.  What he saw as damage is actually the way the item was made.  I sent him photos of 6 identicle items made the same way to show it's not damage but he's still sticking me with return postage.  (This is me venting 🙂 )

I just wanted to send him a message giving him that information but eBay processed it as an accepted  return instead.  I guess that makes things easier for eBay and I'm stuck with the tab.  

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

About Insuring a Return

There is no insurance included with first class domestic or international.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

About Insuring a Return

If you really want to insure it, I would go with a third party insurance like InsurePost.

https://www.insurepost.com/

I did have to claim insurance one time on a shipment to South America (can't remember which country) and they paid very quickly (if item is lost, you have to wait 45 days to open a claim though).

Message 9 of 9
latest reply