Another Guardian post about Ebay and Paypal Rip off - This time with local pickup

9 REPLIES 9

Another Guardian post about Ebay and Paypal Rip off - This time with local pickup

This was a local pick up paid using Paypal.

An absolute... NO.. NO

Local pickups should be a cash payment...  a direct transaction between seller and buyer.

Buyer should have tested to see if it works... and if there is a problem... seller  can show what buyer must do to make it work.

No check ... no cashier's check,  and no money order. and no possibility of a scam

Cash and cash only.

This report is an indication of what can happen.....  if Paypal was used with a local pick up...

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

This was a local pick up paid using Paypal.

An absolute... NO.. NO

Some people really set themselves up for failure unfortunately. It doesn't seem like the seller talked to paypal via phone. If you don't you run the risk of fighting against an algorithm at best, and a contracted third party employee at worst. I've been mostly satisfied when I called in about particular cases where something dodgy seemed to be going on. Nice to see that consumer advocates through the media are still going these days when that business is in the toilet.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I offer Local Pickup on all but about three of my listings that have been designated Immediate Payment Required to avoid problems with Unpaid Item Cases on those items. Local Pickup and Immediate Payment Required are mutually exclusive.

I have also spoken at length with PayPal about Seller Protection when using Paypal for a Local Pickup. 

Paypal for a Local Pickup is most certainly safe to do providing certain criteria are met. I have used Local Pickup with success for five years, mostly with Cash Payment and sometimes with Paypal payment.

First of all, Paypal Buyer Protection does not cover Local Pickup.

Therefore, if a seller wants to avoid a problem as is described in this article, they must note on the paypal invoice that it is LOCAL PICKUP. The seller will have to prove absolutely that the buyer used Paypal and then picked it up. Photographic evidence of a buyer on your doorstep and/or signature does not suffice. It must say on the Paid Invoice that the buyer paid and then collected in person. 

Also, a seller may limit their Local Pickups to Cash Only.

There are two places in an ebay listing whereby Local Pickup is referenced. One is on Payments and the other is on Shipping.

You can allow Cash on Pickup as a Payment Option.

Or you can allow Paypal to be used as a payment option where Local Pickup is the Shipping selection.

Either way, if you're okay with people attending your residence or place of business to collect their orders, Local Pickup is not a bad option to offer, provided you are smart about it.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

And being smart about it includes offering Paypal for Local Pickup if you have the ebay Item and/or Invoice set-up correctly and use it correctly as a seller. 

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security?locale.x=en_US

and

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#purchase-protection

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Ineligible for a claim on Paypal 

• For Item Not Received claims, items which you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf, including items bought in a seller’s store location.

Did Paypal do something wrong?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Ineligible for a claim on Paypal 

• For Item Not Received claims, items which you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf, including items bought in a seller’s store location.

Did Paypal do something wrong?

It's said that as long as I can remember but as I don't allow pickups I've never had to test it.

But they specify inr claims in the agreement and the situation in the article was nad.

In the seller protection policy of the agreement it does give a list of items ineligible for seller protection and on the list is.....Items that you deliver in person, including at a retail point of sale

So although there is supposedly no buyer protection for local pick up inr's , there is no seller protection for pickups at all...??

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

This was a SNAD claim, the same thing could happen on any transaction that wasn't local pickup.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

well technically if someone wants to scam you they can even with cash. If they're counterfeit. But I get your point and I agree. It is safer that way
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

ZOMBIE thread from 2017

@happy_pigeon

Message 10 of 10
latest reply