Another bone to pick with Canada Post

Am I being too demanding?  Is it asking too much to pay nearly $60.00 Cdn to send a parcel to Michigan from Nova Scotia by Xpresspost on March 9th and expecting to have that parcel delivered by March 15th (as promised by CPC when I purchased the label)? 

As things stand, my parcel will not get delivered until March 16th, possibly 17th.  That is 6 business days for Xpresspost.  A little while ago I sent a Light Packet item to Australia and it got there in 6 business days.  

I realize I can probably do battle with Canada Post over its "guaranteed delivery" on this parcel, but that's not the point.  I told the customer it would get there quickly, and the customer was expecting it by today at the latest.  It seems to me I've had even Expedited Parcel get from my location to California or Washington State well within 6 days.  Why bother paying the extra cash for better service?  I expected much better from Xpresspost.  

Has anyone had a similar experience with Xpresspost to the USA lately?

Now I feel better just barking and griping about it.  Woman Very Happy

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I think there is some snow in the NorthEastern USA.

Whether the weather specifically affected shipping, the fear of the weather may have affected shipping.

You'll be getting the cost of the ExpressPost service back, I assume?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Whether the weather specifically affected shipping, the fear of the weather may have affected shipping.

You'll be getting the cost of the ExpressPost service back, I assume?

LOL.  Yeah, we got it yesterday from them, then it fortunately turned to rain (at least here in SW Nova -- poor New Brunswick, they were hammered). 

Well, from what I could see on the tracking, the parcel had already cleared through Ville St-Laurent by the time the snowstorm hit Québec.  It took as long to get from my post office here to that point than Expedited USA usually takes, which I thought was odd.  Actually, it took a full 3 days just to get out of Halifax, and that was before the storm. 

So although weather was my first thought as well, I'm not so sure.  Usually if CPC wants to revise their delivery guarantee, they send a notification by email.  I've had that happen with Xpresspost USA and was none too pleased about it.  In other words, we guarantee -- until we no longer guarantee. 

As I said above, I'm likely going to have wrangle with Canada Post to get the cost of this delivery back.  I'll certainly think twice next time before paying the far higher price for faster service that isn't. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

As a former longtime resident of Victoria, BC, I think I can say this and be sure you'll smile:  it might be best to avoid using the word "some" when referring to snow anywhere on the east coast.  

I admit I used to be guilty of the same thing when I lived in balmy BC (although I'm originally from Ontario and should have known better).  One forgets about blizzards so easily. Woman Very Happy

Now I'm getting used to 40-50cm of snow at a time.  

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

My experience with XpressPost to California at any time (in fact it has been late over 20 times) and each time I get $$ back.  The point is "on time guarantee" and Canada Post have to follow it and refund it each time regardless of what reasons you think.  It doesn't matter if you complain to Canada Post and that is what "on time guarantee" is for and if they are late even 1 days, Canada Post still have to refund you, period!  In fact I like it when the buyers in California wanted their items to be shipped by XpressPost because I knew I will get a refund which go to my buyers which make them happy!  Smile!!

The most fastest XpressPost is to Florida, same length from Manitoba to California!

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Anytime I have checked the rates for xpresspost to the US the time estimate has been 5 or 6 business days so I've never used it.  Did they actually quote delivery on the 15 th or did they give you a range of business days?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

When we were considering our retirement home, DH suggested Halifax.

My look of horror may have had some effect on our decision.

Nice town, nice people, horrific weather.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Anytime I have checked the rates for xpresspost to the US the time estimate has been 5 or 6 business days so I've never used it.  Did they actually quote delivery on the 15 th or did they give you a range of business days?

There was an indicated number of business days to delivery, but the delivery guarantee was clearly stated as March 15th.  Only Xpresspost USA and Priority to the U.S. have the on-time delivery guarantee.  I know 'honeybed' is right about refunds in such situations.  I'm certainly going to press Canada Post for it.  

I find it ridiculous for Canada Post to advertise an on-time delivery guarantee for Xpresspost if they aren't able to meet those guarantees in many instances.  

This isn't the first time I've had an Xpresspost parcel arrive late.  Based on 'honeybed's' comment, I'm not the only seller who has run into this (I've also seen other reports about Xpresspost refunds on the boards).  On the previous occasion I didn't bother pursuing a refund because my customer was happy enough about the timing, but I'm not going to let CPC off the hook again.  

And I'll be reconsidering using Xpresspost to the U.S. ever again.  I see no point in paying an extra ca. $20 when Expedited USA is almost, if not exactly as fast.  As I said earlier, I use Expedited USA quite a lot, and that service has been surprisingly good every time.  Even Tracked Packet has beaten 6 business days to the central U.S. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

When we were considering our retirement home, DH suggested Halifax.

My look of horror may have had some effect on our decision.

Nice town, nice people, horrific weather.

Well, it isn't quite that bad where we live.  Despite the occasional large dump of snow in winter, we're in a warm, little-known enclave of Zone 6c here, warmer than the southernmost tip of Ontario.  We grow nectarines and cherries.  By contrast, Halifax is more like Zone 5b -- it makes quite a difference.  Our house near the Malahat in BC was in zone 7a/b, not much better in winter than where we are now.  Just more rain.  Woman Happy

Message 9 of 9
latest reply