Any known issues with USPS Sacramento Ca Distribution Center?

I have a package that is seemingly just circling endlessly at the USPS Sacramento California Distribution Center.  Note that the facility is just 12 miles from the delivery address.

1. Aug 17, 2022
    12:00am
    PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
    SACRAMENTO CA DISTRIBUTION CENT, 95799
  2. Aug 16, 2022
    12:23am
  3. Aug 15, 2022
    5:23pm
  4. Aug 14, 2022
    12:49am
  5. Aug 13, 2022
    2:15am
  6. Aug 10, 2022
    8:22pm
    CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRI, 60688
  7. Aug 9, 2022
    5:14pm
    INBOUND OUT OF CUSTOMS
  8. Aug 4, 2022
    12:22pm
    INBOUND INTO CUSTOMS
  9. Aug 4, 2022
    12:21pm
    ARRIVED AT INTERNATIONAL SERVICE CENTER
    ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS), 60688
  10. Aug 3, 2022
    4:52pm
    ORIGIN POST IS PREPARING SHIPMENT

11. Aug 2, 2022
    8:59am
    Tracking number provided

Anyone know of problems there or what could be causing this?  Buyer is getting testy.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Any known issues with USPS Sacramento Ca Distribution Center?

it did go to Chicago first.  From there to Sacramento, where it bounced around internally at that distribution center for 11 days.  Yesterday it left there, went to San Fran then Los Angeles.  It is now at  ISC Los Angeles, so it looks like it's coming back to me.  Reason completely unkown.

Not an address problem.  I confirmed it on both Google and the USPS website and i take pics of all my packages and i confirmed the address on the package was correct.

All i can think of is that it is due to a problem with fires in the area or the buyer has had his mail stopped for some reason.  Otherwise i have no idea what's going on.

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

Yes, I understand it went to Chicago first. My thought is that it only received basic processing as an international item there and the usual plan is to finish the job in Los Angeles before directing it to its final destination.

Basically, any international mail shipment that’s California-bound gets processed in California. Yours just got “checked in” in Chicago before being sent on its way, is what I’m thinking.  It's cheaper for Canada Post to fly your items to the nearest border entry point of Chicago than to California.

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

i've sent a lot of packages to California and never had this happen.  The package spent 5 days in Customs in Chicago, so i can't imagine it would need more processing.  I'm not even sure the distribution center in Sacramento would be able to tell it needed more Customs review and if they did know, why keep the package in Sacramento for 11 days bouncing from department to department within the distribution center?

Maybe the address label got damaged or covered up somehow and they were not able to make out the delivery address?  But given the small size of the label, it would be odd if the delivery address was obscured but the return address still legible.

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

“Customs” may not be the best description for what your item was doing in Chicago but that’s the closest thing the scanning system has to describe it.

Keep in mind that USPS Chicago ISC was notorious for major delays which came to a head a little over a year ago.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/how-much-delay-are-you-experience-at-ISC-chicago-they-ev...

A five day stint in Chicago may be a hangover effect from that period. Also consider that this is summer and there may be more sorting and customs staff in Chicago and Los Angeles off on vacation or off nursing mild COVID contracted during these vacations.

The “bouncing around” could be the item getting scanned in preparation for loading onto a truck that didn’t show up or turned out to be too full to accommodate it. I really doubt an item with address label issues would have been scanned on an almost daily basis like yours.

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

latest scan is in Carson, CA facility.  Carson i think, has something to do with Customs.

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Unfortunately, it might be another holding location for the item the way Sacramento was.

I’m assuming this item is a tracked packet rather than a parcel, which is why the item being returned to you is considered a possibility.
Message 26 of 32
latest reply

And the bizarre situation continues.  After going all the way to LA, then Carson California, it went back to the Los Angeles Distribution Center (NOT the International Distribution Center), and now it is back at the Sacramento Distribuion Center, where it spent 11 days before.

I can only conclude that for some reason the package had to go through Customs again (even though it spent 5 days in Customs when it was in Chicago) and that is what has been causing all the delays and redirection through Los Angeles.

Anyway, it wil be inteesting to see if it now gets delivered

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

This was last January, I am sure it has not changed much...

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

I’m not sure how USPS employees can scan a stolen package for many days running, though.
Message 29 of 32
latest reply

No, no theft involved.  Just chaos.  🙂

Anyway, package was delivered Saturday and buyer left positive feedback.  I also got a defect for the package being shipped late, which it wasn't it was shipped on time....it arrived late, but that was because of all the USPS shinanigans.  

It would be nice if Ebay had a fairer system for giving defects for late packages.

Message 30 of 32
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

No, no theft involved.  Just chaos.  🙂

Anyway, package was delivered Saturday and buyer left positive feedback.  I also got a defect for the package being shipped late, which it wasn't it was shipped on time....it arrived late, but that was because of all the USPS shinanigans.  

It would be nice if Ebay had a fairer system for giving defects for late packages.

If you were concerned about the late ding you could put in a call or facebook/twitter and ask if they can review the ebay tracking on the parcel. As you say system/customs issues that are clearly noted within the details should apply. It does mention customs on the front page of a listing but still not "recognized" with the shipping info.  It never hurts to ask.

-Lotz

Message 31 of 32
latest reply

If the package had been scanned as accepted within your handling time it would not have been considered late.  That's one detriment of using small packet as it doesn't get scanned until it reaches the US.

Message 32 of 32
latest reply