Anyone else feeling in limbo right now?

Sitting here trying to decide what to do.

Have listed in USD for years on .ca.

I've never done the "double dip" into the world of .com...I guess I was just sticking with what I "knew" on .ca

Now my hand is forced with .ca move for June....so what do I do?

Do I: Completely change over all of my listings on .ca to CDN dollars and just hope the business maintains all across the board ie. USA/INT sales....

Do I: List in CDN on .ca & .com in USD for the first time....but what model do I use. I've never thought about "separating" my stock or how I'd do it OR if I even want to do it....

Do I: Completely migrate over .com and continue in USD....

I know I have to make a decision but It's going to be a change to my business model....anyone willing to lend me their crystal ball 😉

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

I tried to Sell similar or Relist option, but system switched me back to dot.ca, I have to start from scratch and only after that will be able to use Sell similar for more items...

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

After a nights sleep, I have had time to think on how to react to the decision by Ebay as far as CDN currency listings only. I too list only in USD and am on .ca and definitely not happy with Ebay's decision.

My course of action for now is to switch a couple of listing to .com. Start learning all the curves associated with .com. Ebay is not dictating the change till June 1 and has stated that they will develop a tool that will make it easy for ca Ebayers to migrate their listings to .com.

So in short, I'm going to learn .com and be ready when the time comes to switch

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

After a nights sleep, I have had time to think on how to react to the decision by Ebay as far as CDN currency listings only. I too list only in USD and am on .ca and definitely not happy with Ebay's decision.

My course of action for now is to switch a couple of listing to .com. Start learning all the curves associated with .com. Ebay is not dictating the change till June 1 and has stated that they will develop a tool that will make it easy for ca Ebayers to migrate their listings to .com.

So in short, I'm going to learn .com and be ready when the time comes to switch

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

After a nights sleep I have had the chance to ponder on the  whole dicated currency issue. I too list in USD and am on dot CA. I am certainly not happy by Ebay's decision. It make no rhyme or reason to take away US currency from Ebay Canada. Please someone show me how this affects those ca sellers who sell in CDN currency. 

Setting this aside, my first reaction was to transfer all my lists to dot com as soon as possible, but like I said ,I have had time to think about it. 

Im going to place a few lists over to .com so that I can learn any curves that I will need to learn. The currency change does not come into effect till June 1. Ebay has said that they will develope a tool to make who ever wishes to migrate to .com from.ca easier.

In short, I'm going to be ready to go.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

I know how you are feeling.  Last year when they reduced the amount of free listings from 50 to 20, I started listing select categories on .com.  It is not easy.  It is a lot of cut and paste.  

Each change that ebay comes up with causes me headaches and time.

I am not happy about changing my listings on .ca to Canadian pesos.  I have over 800 to redo.  

On the one hand, what do I care nothing is selling anyways.  

Ebay is going the way of the Dodo bird.   

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

I think the real question is going to come down to : DO YOU NEED TO USE CALCULATED SHIPPING?

If you do, list on eBayCA with calculated shipping and massage* your Cdn$ price to look reasonable to US (and overseas) customers.

Because your dotCOM, dotCOdotUK, doDE, etc, customer sees your prices in their own currencies anyway.

If you don't, move new items to dotCOM, as well as your relists and sell similars, where you can use US dollars.

My big question is still whether Fixed Price/Good Til Cancelled listings in USD on dotCA will still be in USD when the change rolls in.

If eBay just moves USD listings to Unsold, I can handle that. It will be mostly a matter of changing prices (from $9.99USD to $14.99CDN) * and I can do that.

I can even rescan items that I want to move to dotCOM if necessary.

But only if the move is done as the listings hit their 30 day renewal.

Twenty a day corrections I can handle.

Over 5000 would be a chore to do in a day.

*I bought US dollars at the RBC yesterday and got $149USD for my $200CDN.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

With turbo lister I can change the currency of 5000 items in mins rather than hours.  The bigger problem is that the shipping amounts for the various countries disappear.  How ever if you group items that all have the same shipping costs, than it goes back to being easy again.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I know how you are feeling.  Last year when they reduced the amount of free listings from 50 to 20, I started listing select categories on .com.  It is not easy.  It is a lot of cut and paste.  

Last year the free listings increased from 20 to 50.

The previous change reduced them from 100 to 20.

And before 100 free it was 0 free listings.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

"With turbo lister I can change the currency of 5000 items in mins rather than hours"

Nice that it works well for you.  I tried it for 245 listings and got 245 errors:

Error: - Currency is unchangeable when revising or relisting an item.

Oh sure, TL allowed me to bulk edit the items in a few seconds and change the currency to CDN,  BUT it refused to send all of the listings to eBay.

Did you actually succeed in uploading your revised listings to eBay or have I just ruined that nasty surprise for you?

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Turbo Lister doesn't work for us Mac Loyalists.

Smiley Tongue

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

skylarstuff gave me instructions on how to switch site and currency in TL several months ago, and I've done it with several thousand listings without ever receiving that error message. Are you trying to convert currently active listings?

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

There's already a way to bulk edit the site and currency in Turbo Lister. We can give you the instructions if you want to go that route.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I think the real question is going to come down to : DO YOU NEED TO USE CALCULATED SHIPPING?

If you do, list on eBayCA with calculated shipping and massage* your Cdn$ price to look reasonable to US (and overseas) customers.

Because your dotCOM, dotCOdotUK, doDE, etc, customer sees your prices in their own currencies anyway.

If you don't, move new items to dotCOM, as well as your relists and sell similars, where you can use US dollars.

My big question is still whether Fixed Price/Good Til Cancelled listings in USD on dotCA will still be in USD when the change rolls in.

If eBay just moves USD listings to Unsold, I can handle that. It will be mostly a matter of changing prices (from $9.99USD to $14.99CDN) * and I can do that.

I can even rescan items that I want to move to dotCOM if necessary.

But only if the move is done as the listings hit their 30 day renewal.

Twenty a day corrections I can handle.

Over 5000 would be a chore to do in a day.

*I bought US dollars at the RBC yesterday and got $149USD for my $200CDN.

Femme

You will also have to change all your shipping prices unless you are using calculated shipping in Can$ but I don't think you were using list in US $ and calculated shipping in Can $. If you have been using flat rate, they will all have to be adjusted.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

You could do a test and list a number of items in Cdn $ and see how your sales do. I know that my sales fluctuate all the time even if I don't make any changes so you would have to do this for at least a month...longer would probably be more accurate.

When they had the last Cdn $ promotion many people complained that their items didn't sell well but it also seemed that few gave it a try for more than a week and that really isn't an accurate representation.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply

I started listing select categories on .com.  It is not easy.  It is a lot of cut and paste.  

Why not wait until they have the migration tool ready?

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

You're not alone. I am in the same limbo right now and I completely understand how you feel!

I'm testing a few listings in CAD $ again while there is a promo for free listings. When the time comes, I will decide what to do based on the sales I had - or had not.

I wonder though... the tool that will make us change our US listings to CAD listings... will it take the US$10 I have and just put a CAD$ sign in front of it, or will it really convert the price to the CAD equivalent?

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

What percentage of your sales go to the USA and how much to Canadian buyers?

If its USA, then the answer is simple.  Move to .com

I know you have over 3,000 listings, and I can almost relate.  Most I revised was 1,500.

Do as many as you can every day.  Makes life hell, but once its done, its done.  Until the next change.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

" Are you trying to convert currently active listings?"

No, theses are unsold items that I'm trying to relist. 

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

but I don't think you were using list in US $ and calculated shipping in Can $.

If my item is listed in USD, the calculated shipping seen and paid by the customer is also in USD, even though the actual Canada Post rate (and the Canadian postage stamps) are in CDN.

For example, I shipped a book today to the Netherlands. Her shipping on the PP payment showed as $7.49 USD. I attached $10.30CDN in postage stamps to carry it. (I rarely use PP labels because I have a source for discount postage stamps. Had I gone to PP and made a label, I would have paid about the same. )

She may have seen the price on her home site, in which case she would have seen these prices in euros and USD.

Remember the seller does not calculate the Calculated Shipping. If she puts in the right measurements and the right weight, the CS programme does it automatically.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply