Are Sellers Lettermail Sales in Jeopardy?

Over 50% of my sales are sent CP lettermail within Canada. Over the past few weeks I've had a couple returned for "insufficient postage" due to exceeding dimensions. They were both barely over the 2cm thickness limit (maybe 2.2 -2.4cm) so they were definitely physically measured upon arrival in the destination post office. Both going to smaller towns out east (I'm in BC).

I've heard from a couple of sellers that they're cracking down at the moment, and a letter has gone out to various post offices about returning lettermail that exceeds dimensions. Of course, this is nothing new - but this zero tolerance measure appears to be a Nationwide blitz. It could kill my business if it's that widespread! Granted, most of my items are fine, but not all- and all it takes is a handful of returns to get a bunch of negative feedback.

Another seller told me Canada Post does this regularly, every so often, but they can't keep it up permanently. And certainly not during the holiday months.

Has anyone else experienced more returns for lettermail lately?
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Are Sellers Lettermail Sales in Jeopardy?

They were both barely over the 2cm thickness limit (maybe 2.2 -2.4cm)

You knew they were thicker than the limit and they were returned.

What was the question again?

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

I often use stay flat mailers for items that are a little too thick as the stiffness of the envelope helps to flatten the item a bit.  They do cost more but if they can save you from having to pay for a parcel it's worth it.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:

No, because I always make sure they do not exceed the limit.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I purchased one of the Canada Post boards that has the slot where you can make sure letter mail goes through easily, it also has the outline of sizes of various sizes of letter mail. I have found it so useful over the years.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

I'm surprised you've gotten away with 2.4 cm for this long. (2.4 is 20% over the limit)

My problem is "shifting load" sometimes my contents will shift and something that was "tight" before is too thick.

I try to keep things thin enough to survive some shifting. 

I haven't had anything come back for quite some time, of course now that I've said that I've probably cursed myself and one will be in my mail back to me today!

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

me thinks u seem to think it is OK to not be accurate by saying "They were both barely over the 2cm thickness limit (maybe 2.2 -2.4cm"

Canada Post has the right to reject ANYTHING that does not conform to the dimensions,weight,etc...(and they will indeed reject an item 1 g. over weight limit, as well as anthing that has to be squished/force squeezed through the slot)

BTW, have not had any lettermail/oversize lettermail returned, perhaps because I measure/weigh accurately but when in doubt I have the PO personel check so to avoid any issues. I do have a fairly accurate scale and a Canada Post  plastic slot board...

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

I agree with you mrdtuch. With the thousands of lettermails I have sent, not ONE has ever been returned for incorrect shipping.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

The 2cm limit is used to comb out oversized mail VS parcels.  Mail go through mechanical processing, and what will fit in the slot will go one way while the bigger than 2cm will go another way to be processed as parcels.  If it's not correctly labelled/stamped as parcel in that area, then it is rejected.  Simple as that!  There's very few human manipulation in the sorting process nowadays...

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I've definitely been pushing the thickness limit lately, and most have gone through fine.  My self made cardboard slot is stretched out and I have a very generous counter person! I ordered a new plastic slot so I can be more accurate, especially if they're cracking down.

My question has more to do with whether or not a "returns blitz" on oversize lettermail is going on right now because of the internal letter floating around about it. Some post offices can get overzealous with returns, even for packages that do fit in the slot, especially if they have a "quota"... and because all lettermail is really meant for paper. As sellers in Canada, we're lucky to have this option at all.

There's plenty of "oversize, oversize" lettermail in the system right now - and I suspect there always will be. $1.94 vs $18+ for a one inch cube is a HUGE difference! Until we get a small parcel rate, there will be gamblers testing it out (I could tell you stories about sellers in Facebook groups who send items 4-5 INCHES thick without issue! Crazy!).

I'm always curious if, and when, Canada Post will say enough is enough with e-commerce goods being shipped back and forth with lettermail - and that's really the motivation for my question. If no one else here has had any recent returns, I think maybe this "letter" may have been targeted, and went to known sellers that are abusing the o/s lettermail. I guess time will tell.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Sometimes it is just a reality check to be more diligent with one's accuracy. I still remember having an oversize lettermail item rejected for being 1 g over weight and having to pay for the next weight category... and that was enough lesson for me!

There may be countless others with similar experience to yours but are not reporting it in this thread...

only a wee percentage of members ever come to the community forums.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

You are actually admitting to abuse of the system.  You are part of the problem...

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I haven't mailed anything that's over 2cm thick with letter mail, so no, haven't had anything returned to me aside from "wrong address"...

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

i agree he got to cheat and make more money i have  to  pay and pay to send items  that have to be parcel sent and pay nearly 18 % of my sales to canada post -- not quite sure what he is complaining about he gets to cheat most of the time and gets caught some of the time -- i and many  most likely most others have to play by the rules and pay and pay just to stay in the game cause we can't fudge the parcel sizes ---even when we bring tim's to the post mistress  and watch her measure ---measure and then watch as the read out gives out the damage report while holding our breath about that package going to northern bc or nfld rural  

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

and the rest of us have to make up the for the cheats like him

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

Someone mentioned in another thread that Canada Post is back to returning problem lettermail (too thick/too big/underpaid postage) instead of letting it through. Was a covid-19 suspension to reduce workload.

I don't think this a special campaign. Just back to the usual procedures.

-;-

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:
Over 50% of my sales are sent CP lettermail within Canada. Over the past few weeks I've had a couple returned for "insufficient postage" due to exceeding dimensions. They were both barely over the 2cm thickness limit (maybe 2.2 -2.4cm) so they were definitely physically measured upon arrival in the destination post office. Both going to smaller towns out east (I'm in BC).

I've heard from a couple of sellers that they're cracking down at the moment, and a letter has gone out to various post offices about returning lettermail that exceeds dimensions. Of course, this is nothing new - but this zero tolerance measure appears to be a Nationwide blitz. It could kill my business if it's that widespread! Granted, most of my items are fine, but not all- and all it takes is a handful of returns to get a bunch of negative feedback.

Another seller told me Canada Post does this regularly, every so often, but they can't keep it up permanently. And certainly not during the holiday months.

Has anyone ever had issues/RTS's with mailing very thin light hardcover books by letter rate in Canada? Never tested the waters on that.

-Lotz

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

You're complaining that you got caught underpaying with a 'P' stamp on oversize mail... twice?

It's always best to take a moment before hitting the send button.

I haven't had any Canada Post returns because I put the correct postage on the envelope.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Every now and again they crack down to keep habitual  cheaters out of the system.

Something like the CRA doing an audit of  suspected criminals.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

You're not going to have a problem sending a hardcover book via lettermail within Canada as long as it is within the 2cm depth.  You probably wouldn't have a problem sending  a think hard cover book to the US either via letterpost but technically it isn't allowed for international mail.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply