Business Licence

Yes ,I Have A Store now And I Was Wondering If You Need A Business Licence When You Dont Collect Taxes , If So What Kind Of Licence? All I Sell Is Used Items. I Would Appreciate Any Feedback. Cheers Gerry

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Business Licence

You can find information for BC at the following link:

http://www.bcbusinessregistry.ca/BRfaqs.htm#4

Generally speaking of you are operating using only your actual name you don't need to register. Actual name would be registering accounts with eBay and PayPal under your personal name not a business name. I don't think that includes the user name you use on eBay as long as the actual accounts are under your own name.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Business Licence

You can find information for BC at the following link:

http://www.bcbusinessregistry.ca/BRfaqs.htm#4

Generally speaking of you are operating using only your actual name you don't need to register. Actual name would be registering accounts with eBay and PayPal under your personal name not a business name. I don't think that includes the user name you use on eBay as long as the actual accounts are under your own name.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Business Licence

You don't have to register to collect taxes until you are grossing $30,000 a year.

Until then you are running an online garage sale.

You might, before that, want to make sure your home insurance covers you stock.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Business Licence

"All I Sell Is Used Items. "

It depends. 

Are you selling your own "used" items? Then no license, no tax, no worry.

Or are you purchasing "used" items for resale on eBay? Then you must keep track of your purchases, expenses and sales and report your net profits (regardless how small they are) on your annual personal tax return.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Business Licence

OP lives in British Columbia.  The number of listings on eBay indicates that this seller  is selling as a "Business" on eBay.

OP should look at the rules for  a business in British Columbia.  Each province has its own rules.

It may be advantageous to register as a business, mainly because OP  is selling as a business.

Registering as a business means your store name, business name,  is "legal"  and cannot be used by another seller in British Columbia

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Business Licence

Likely a business, yes, but not impossible it's the accumulation of a lifetime of personal collecting.  

Message 6 of 6
latest reply