Buyer asking for refund

4 days ago I got a message saying "please refund my payment". It was from an item sent to Sweden on Feb. 24th. I replied asking for the reason, I don't know if it didn't arrive, was a change of mind, it could be that she couldn't read the pattern as it was in English. There has been no reply.

I don't think I should just refund without knowing the reason or having a case opened.

What do you think?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Buyer asking for refund

If this were me, I would wait until a case was opened. 

Ebay needs to know which buyers are opening what number of cases for internal tracking metrics. The fact your buyer tried to circumvent the regular system may indicate this is part of their modus operandi.

If you hear from the buyer again, gently but firmly encourage them to open a case properly. Explain this needs to be done or you cannot address the problem otherwise.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Buyer asking for refund

But definitely DO NOT refund the buyer on the merit of that one message. There is not nearly enough information associated with it to make that make sense. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Buyer asking for refund

yes, i would send another follow up letter, asking again, was there a problem with the item, and do you want to return it, if the item has not arrived, then you need to open an item not received case through ebay, then go from there. i would assume if the person did receive the item and doesn't want it, you aren't going to pay return shipping..

send another letter, and do nothing until you get a response, or they open a case..

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Buyer asking for refund

Google is your friend.

This just asks what the problem is.

Tack för din fråga. Vad är problemet med mönstret?

Googe Translate can be amusing sometimes, but it generally gets the job done.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Buyer asking for refund

Thanks, I'll try that. She actually asked for a refrund.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Buyer asking for refund

Okay, but.... to play Devil's Advocate here.... I could send Messages to all the ebay sellers on my Purchase History that say, "I'd like a refund' but I certainly hope that zero of ten would give me one based on that. I'd also like a pony, unlimited pickles, and eternal sunshine but I don't suppose I'll get that either. 

The buyer really MUST give you more information on which to go. I'd stick to the Please Open a Case response. Or wait for second contact. Or initiate second contact. But please don't just give them money because their hand is out, you deserve at least to know the nature of the problem, and ebay should know the buyer is asking. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Buyer asking for refund

No you are right, I am not just going to give a refund. I am going to wait for a reply to my messages. I don't know how long a buyer has to open a request, it was mailed on Feb. 24th.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply