Buyer requesting refund.

Hi,
I recently sold an item to a buyer who after receiving it is unhappy and wants a refund.
He’s stating that the item is not mint and wants to return it.
In my original listing I provided 6 sided photos of the item clearing showing the condition of the item.
No where in my listings to I ever say my items are mint condition. I just show all angles of the item and that’s it.
He bought the item and before he’s sends payment he messages me asking if the items are mint because of the price he’s paying on them.
I tell him the items are in good shape and that they will be well protected in shipping , including soft protectors, then individual bubble wrapping of each item…then all of that bubble wrapped….all of which I have photos of before I shipped.
I contacted eBay support and at first they said I should just accept the return of the item…which I have to pay for.
I didn’t agree with this so I was sent to talk to someone else.
He told me to contact the buyer with the photos of shipping proving I did everything in my power to protect the items and to wait for eBay to make a decision.
So I did that and obviously the buyer is not happy.
Upon further looking online …almost always the buyer wins these disputes. So…my question is what happens if eBay decides to side with the buyer after all this? Am I out of the proxy ring returned to me and I’m forced to fully refund? Or do that tell me to send label for return and I’m out shipping??
Thank you
Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Buyer requesting refund.

marnotom!
Community Member

Is your username a reference to the old British TV character?  I have a bizarre fascination with things related to Peter Wyngarde.

I do feel for you and your situation.  I guess the important thing to remember is that you're not in a court of law; you're involved in a business transaction that hasn't gone well.  Your job at this point is not to prove how "right" you are, but to try to salvage this sale as best as possible and ensure you receive the item back in good condition.  Get that return label out to the buyer and put it in your ledger as a business expense.

For what it's worth, when I check your completed listings in "list" view, they all come up as "brand new."  I checked two of those listing pages and they state at the top that they're in "new" condition.  I know that "mint" and "new" aren't necessarily the same thing, but that may have confused your buyer. 

Message 2 of 49
latest reply

Buyer requesting refund.

Totally agree!...

Sellers must be very aware of the listing item's condition and be sure it is correctly applied in the item specifics, especially if the item specifis default to a condition that does not apply... and that must be corrected before posting the listing.....

Message 3 of 49
latest reply

Buyer requesting refund.

I had to google that reference lol. No…I don’t think I named after that character…but the time frame fits. Haha
So I was told I could let eBay review the case after my timeframe to accept the return ends. And if I’m fact they side with the buyer, then I could issue a return label at that time?
So…is there any harm in letting that process happen? Or…is that a lie?? Because I reading all kinds of situations online and I’m afraid that if I wait to let eBay make a decision…then I’m out all my money and I won’t have the option to get my item back?
Message 4 of 49
latest reply

Buyer requesting refund.

It seams like everything has a grey area on eBay. Lol.
The item is new. It was never taken out of the boxes. So I mean that's as new as can be. I posted all the photos of the items showing the conditions.
And even after I sold the item the buyer messaged me asking me if they were mint? I just told them they are in good shape and that I would ship in protectors and bubble wrap.

he could of just cancelled the purchase then and there before I shipped it. Or even asked for more photos?

I feel I did everything by the book. I didn't hide anything as he's claiming now? I submitted all photos of what he was receiving. 
But..my concern is if I let eBay make the decision if I did my due diligence or not…will I still have the option to have my item returned or he just gets to keep it anyways??

Message 5 of 49
latest reply

Buyer requesting refund.

@jason_king_zero wrote:
No…I don’t think I named after that character…but the time frame fits. Haha
So I was told I could let eBay review the case after my timeframe to accept the return ends. And if I’m fact they side with the buyer, then I could issue a return label at that time?
So…is there any harm in letting that process happen? Or…is that a lie?? Because I reading all kinds of situations online and I’m afraid that if I wait to let eBay make a decision…then I’m out all my money and I won’t have the option to get my item back?

The return process is explained on this eBay help page:

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115

I would suggest that as you have a "no [remorse] returns" policy, it would be in your best interest to issue a return shipping label as soon as possible.  Remember, you're not in a court of law, you're doing business.  

The customer may not always be right, but the customer is the customer and often it's more important just to resolve the problem in the customer's favour, which is likely what would happen if you let eBay handle this, and because of your return policy, there's more of a chance that the buyer could keep the item and the money from the sale.

Message 6 of 49
latest reply

Buyer requesting refund.

Thanks for the reply on this matter. I really do appreciate it. I'm very concern over all this. just want to make sure I handle this fairly. 
Question..
won’t the buyer not be issued a refund for the item before I receive said item back in the same condition as I sent it to them??
Or…will eBay just automatically take the refund payment from my account and give it to him if they deem I was in the wrong without him having to ship the item back to me??

In all honesty I feel I did nothing wrong...and the buyer had 2 different ovations to either ask for more photos and or cancel the payment before I shipped it...which would of saved us all this hassle. 
But..I understand that just my opinion on it. 
I'm really just worried I'm going to be out my item and money if eBay sides with him. Or do they make the buyer return the item before refund??

Message 7 of 49
latest reply

Buyer requesting refund.

I suppose it was also your choice to cancel the sale if you felt that the buyer was going to be problematic after questioning the condition after the purchase ....sometimes one has to go with a gut feeling and/or what is best when buyer is questioning the item after purchase...

If the item had not been shipped at that point, a seller still has the option to cancel the sale, based on that "bad feeling" and justifiable as unable to complete the transaction...

Circumsatances will dictate how eBay rules ...

but it might be in your best interests to simply accept a return of the item and hope for the best...

Message 8 of 49
latest reply

Buyer requesting refund.

Thanks for the reply and input. This is my first time having to deal with this.
I’ve had other buyers ask questions before regarding item I had for sale. Some even asking for more photos. All of which I gladly facilitated.
I honestly didn’t think this would happen to me.
Everyone keeps suggesting that I just bite the bullet and issue the refund.
But if I decide to wait…and let eBay look into this…and if they side with the buyer…do I just abide by there ruling and send a return shipping label…wait for the item to be returned to me…make sure it’s in the same condition I set to him..then a refund is issued anyway?
Im just asking if that’s the process because I have no idea.

Message 9 of 49
latest reply

Buyer requesting refund.

@marnotom! wrote:

Is your username a reference to the old British TV character?  I have a bizarre fascination with things related to Peter Wyngarde.

I do feel for you and your situation.  I guess the important thing to remember is that you're not in a court of law; you're involved in a business transaction that hasn't gone well.  Your job at this point is not to prove how "right" you are, but to try to salvage this sale as best as possible and ensure you receive the item back in good condition.  Get that return label out to the buyer and put it in your ledger as a business expense.

For what it's worth, when I check your completed listings in "list" view, they all come up as "brand new."  I checked two of those listing pages and they state at the top that they're in "new" condition.  I know that "mint" and "new" aren't necessarily the same thing, but that may have confused your buyer. 

@marnotom! 

In a number of categories if you try to list on dot com vs dot ca the available options for condition can vary. An example that comes to mind is movies. You can find Brand New, New, Pre-Owned, Used, New(Other) and the dangerous Not Specified. Those choices can vary substantially category to category. (Same with the IS choices on left side depending on site).

And now, going forward Refurbished is definitely a no no unless it's verified as so. I've been selling personally refurbished for years with no issues with buyers. I have to make sure the word refurbished is removed from the listing details or eBay will flag it.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 49
latest reply

Buyer requesting refund.

If the buyer is asking for a refund, it's your choice to proceed accordingly...by accepting the return you proceed accordingly and when you have the item back issue the refund= DO NOT refund until you have received the item back and all is good...

IF you wait until the buyer escalates this to a case and asks eBay to step in, then the end result is decided by eBay...

Message 11 of 49
latest reply

Buyer requesting refund.

You don't accept returns, so it's entirely possible that if eBay sides with the buyer (which they probably will, to be honest) they will just refund them and they won't have to return the items. In which case you'll be out the money AND your item.

It is within your best interest to accept the return and provide a return label. Re-list them when you get them back and just hope you aren't out too much money when all is said and done.

Message 12 of 49
latest reply

Buyer requesting refund.

Thanks for your time and reply…

Omg. That’s insane. I can’t believe eBay works that way. I always thought ebay was a safe place to buy and sell. But to just always side with the buyer all the time? It’s not like I’m Costco or Wal Mart and can just take back anything all the time. I’m going to be out of pocket $50 im shipping charges alone for no good reason. Not to mention the full refund of the item( cost and shipping)
That’s wild. How to you all keep selling on eBay like this 😅. I’m stressed out now about all my listings. And I know in my heart I shouldn’t be because im very transparent with my listings and always open for communication with potential buyers. I have alot to think about I guess 😞.
Message 13 of 49
latest reply

Buyer requesting refund.

Is there anyway to avoid this going forward?
If I post with full transparency….all pictures…ect..how can I not go through this…or protect myself?
If I put in the description item comes as listed in ad? You will receive exact item in listing?
Change item condition from new to something else? ( even though it’s brand new)
Any suggestions??
Message 14 of 49
latest reply

Buyer requesting refund.

If sellers choose to list and sell on eBay, they abide by eBay's rules and policies....and that includes eBay's Money Back Guarantee, and also includes that fact that "No returns accepted",  DOES NOT mean No Refunds!

Message 15 of 49
latest reply

Buyer requesting refund.

I see you've already got great advice already, I just wanted to add something based on my own experience.

For the first several years I sold here refunds were only given if item was either not received/lost or it was not as described. Because of this I always took at least 12 photos (the maximum back then) and tried my best to describe every flaw in great detail so much so I wondered how my stuff sold and I've never been able to break the habit! On the plus side I've had many buyers telling me they were happy and it "much better than expected" and they have become repeat customers.

At some point (a few years now?) when eBay started their "Money Back Guarantee" they changed the policy so that pretty much anyone could get their money back if not entirely satisfied, I suppose to help boost sales for people sitting on the fence about buying to make the leap. This does make it way too easy for people who just changed their mind, maybe over spent for the month, or are just one of those people almost impossible to please, but we have to follow eBay's procedures. As everyone has said send the label, you don't have to refund until you have it back.

When you got your first question from him "asking if it was mint", you should have said, no, since when you said "it was in very good shape" that can be left to interpretation. His expectations were high if he even asked!

I don't know the value of the item but I know myself I've had lower priced items (under $25) that it was just not worth it to send a label if paying shipping twice, once to go there and once to come back would make it a wash I would tell them to just keep it and refund them anyway. I had more than one buyer change their mind (maybe conscience kicked in?) and decide they WOULD keep it after all, suddenly had a change of heart and also some that suggested a "partial refund" instead. I'm going to guess yours is probably a more valuable item then mine.

Good luck however it turns out, there's always something to learn (and experience for the first time) around here!

Message 16 of 49
latest reply

Buyer requesting refund.

Thank you for the reply. I just wish they never bought it all to be honest. To ship it back to me from Florida to Alberta is gonna cost me $50 or more. On top of that I have to refund him $150. All for nothing. All could have been avoided if they just didn’t buy it. I still can’t believe eBay operates this way. It’s crazy.
Thanks again for the reply and your time. I appreciate it
Message 17 of 49
latest reply

Buyer requesting refund.

@jason_king_zero wrote:
Is there anyway to avoid this going forward?
If I post with full transparency….all pictures…ect..how can I not go through this…or protect myself?
If I put in the description item comes as listed in ad? You will receive exact item in listing?
Change item condition from new to something else? ( even though it’s brand new)
Any suggestions??

A collectible market like Pops is going to have much pickier buyers than many other categories and higher returns as a result. Most other types of items aren't like that. Make sure to take pictures of any flaw specifically and note it in the listing as well. You could also add wording in the description that says something to the effect that items are new and in excellent condition but may have extremely minor packaging flaws / damage and should not be considered absolutely perfect or mint. Refer them to the pictures for exact condition. It may or may not help, but it probably can't hurt.

Message 18 of 49
latest reply

Buyer requesting refund.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I totally get the Funko market. I collected and l sold them for years. Which is why I post 6 sided photos for buyers to see. And I also ship in protectors with crazy amounts of bubble wrap.I also never list my items are mint or ever tell anyone when asked that they are for the simple reason that one persons mint condition may not be another’s.
Message 19 of 49
latest reply

Buyer requesting refund.

hi ! if you wait  for e bay to make a decision you will lose everything !  the buyer gets to keep the item  and gets a full refund in the process .

that is how it goes with e bay !  i know it happened to me .  your decision will depend on the value of  the item  versus the cost of providing a shipping label , do it before e bay steps in .

or you will LOSE EVERYTHING ! 

Message 20 of 49
latest reply