Buyer's Phone Numbers missing

For the past few days I have noticed that the buyer's phone numbers are missing, has anyone experienced that as well?

I often ship using couriers and having the recipient's phone number is always required. Even eBay required that using Shippo.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer's Phone Numbers missing

Account -> Site Preferences -> Shipping preferences -> Require phone number for shipping

Did you make sure that box is checked?

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Is the number missing on both the eBay and the Paypal notifications?

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Yes, everywhere.  eBay, PayPal and Shippo.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Sounds like the customer never supplied it then.

As a quick and dirty fix, apparently putting in your own number works.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

It's not the case because about 15 last orders didn't contain any numbers.  I use a 999-999-9999 as a number when I have to.

I thought more people have that problem, but apparently it's just me.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

It's not you Zyla, I rarely get a ph number from a buyer, so I enter ten zeros.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I haven't noticed but I just checked a few recent sales through selling manager and when I click on view sales record I do see a phone number.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

There is a place on eBay where you can state a buyer's telephone is required... and the telephone  will show up on the sales record.

Searched for it but not found...

I did activate this requirement.

There is also the Contact Information search option..

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

As a note, the Canada post "rulebook" says if you don't have the destination phone number to put your own phone number in... this is what I do and have always done with no problems...
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Account -> Site Preferences -> Shipping preferences -> Require phone number for shipping

Did you make sure that box is checked?
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Hmmm ... It was not checked. Strange because after checking the box they all re-appeared under my Order Details for previous orders where I could not see them before. I don't know how did that get unchecked, but thank you. It worked.
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

This happens a lot. Just go into search contacts, get the phone number. eBay lets the buyer know you looked at the information. So I just email the buyer and tell them why I did it and ask them to add their phone number to both eBay and PayPal so this will not happen again. They are always pleased to find this out. Well so far anyway.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@zee-chanwrote:
 Require phone number for shipping

Will this requirement block a buyer who doesn't want to have his ph number available?

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I have no idea, but I had a buyer provided me 123-456-7890 before, so I'm assuming eBay will prompt them to provide a phone #?
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

If I recall correctly from encountering it as a buyer, this requirement halts your order process until you provide the required telephone number. It doesn't result in a fatal transaction-ending error but instead prompts you to complete or provide your data in order to proceed with the order.

But this is probably a question best answered by ebay staff if you want to call happy_pidgeon to the thread, or ask Tyler at the Weekly Chat. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Yes even with this box with a check mark phone numbers are till not showing  Jim

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

@a52split wrote:

@zee-chanwrote:
 Require phone number for shipping

Will this requirement block a buyer who doesn't want to have his ph number available?

No it won't and keep in mind that several countries (Germany for one) strictly prohibit eBay from giving out this information.

As @ricarmic mentioned, if you don't have the number then use your own.

Putting a fake number or a bunch of zeros is a really bad idea, it would be better to just leave that field blank. If the carrier or customs actually tried to use the number they would get nowhere and just return or abandon the shipment, they are not going to chase after people for the real info.

It's like the smarty pants sellers who when signing up for Managed Payments but a fake number or all zeros in the (optional) SIN number field. All it did was guarantee that the verification would fail.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 18 of 18
latest reply