Can you do a test for me?

Take a look at your listings.  Go to your feedback and at the right click on view listings for sale.  Then on the left click sold listings.  How many do you see?  Then go to refresh at the top of the page and hit it.  I click it once and I see 91, I refresh the page a couple of times and then see 64.  Am I going crazy?

Mj, I see 36, hit refresh the page a couple of times and see 41 hit refresh again and back to 36.

Katlover, I see 34 hit the refresh page a couple of times and see only 23 hit refresh again and back to 34.

Dustmite, I see 21 hit the refresh page a number of times and I see 34 hit refresh again and back to 21.

Rose-Dee, I see 14 hit the refresh page a number of times and I see 18, hit refresh again and back to 14

Pj, I see 7 hit the refresh page a couple of time and then I see 6, hit refresh again and back to 7.

Iz, I see 28 then I see 53 and then back to 28.

You get my drift, every seller there is a difference, why.  I did ask this at the Wed talk but he couldn't check it for me.  Maybe it is only me and I see different amounts sold for everyone. 

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Can you do a test for me?

What I am selling is publicly available for sale.

What I have sold is the business of my business only.

My criticism isn't directed at you for looking at what information is freely available. It is that it is freely available in the first place. I tried to make that clear in my first post that took the thread in this direction but perhaps I wasn't clear enough about that. 

I don't have a Community posting ID because I have nothing to hide, only experience to share.

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

Also, you don't have to agree me with about this any more than I agree with you. It's a discussion. I offered my opinion on the merits of the Sold list. I don't like it, and I never have. Neither do I use it. 

And that's fine.

We're all adults here.

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

Hi MJ, I did not feel anything was directed at me and I hope that you did not think that I criticizing your view.  Many posters do have a posting ID and at one time I did too.   Many sellers want their business dealings to remain private.  I myself do not tell people I know personally that I sell on ebay, only a few people know.  It is none of their business.  

I know how you feel about your sold items.  

For me:

On ebay: I myself follow several of my competitors in Canada to see what they are selling, not selling or sold.  It helps me become a better seller.  If one of them is selling like crazy then I look at my listings and review them comparing them.  What can I do better, how are my prices, key words etc.  For me it is a valuable tool.   I don't really care or investigate who my competitor is, etc.  I just want to know how am I doing comparing my sales to someone in the same field in Canada.

This is how the whole thread started.  I was looking at a competitor's listings and what they sold, then looked at mine and it kept jumping around each time I refreshed.  

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

@musicyouneed wrote:

Take a look at your listings.  Go to your feedback and at the right click on view listings for sale.  Then on the left click sold listings.  How many do you see?  Then go to refresh at the top of the page and hit it.  I click it once and I see 91, I refresh the page a couple of times and then see 64.  Am I going crazy?

Mj, I see 36, hit refresh the page a couple of times and see 41 hit refresh again and back to 36.

Katlover, I see 34 hit the refresh page a couple of times and see only 23 hit refresh again and back to 34.

Dustmite, I see 21 hit the refresh page a number of times and I see 34 hit refresh again and back to 21.

Rose-Dee, I see 14 hit the refresh page a number of times and I see 18, hit refresh again and back to 14

Pj, I see 7 hit the refresh page a couple of time and then I see 6, hit refresh again and back to 7.

Iz, I see 28 then I see 53 and then back to 28.

You get my drift, every seller there is a difference, why.  I did ask this at the Wed talk but he couldn't check it for me.  Maybe it is only me and I see different amounts sold for everyone. 

Hey everyone -

Just wanted to let you know I did some digging and was able to find a little bit of general information about what should be being shown:

Completed listings are available for items that have sold within the last 90 days and for items that didn't sell within the last 30 days.

• When using the Advanced Search page, an "Items by seller" search will include completed listings up to the last 15 days.
  • When using the Advanced Search page, an "Items by bidder" search will include completed listings up to the last 30 days.

Nothing I've found explains why the numbers are changing between refreshes however, so I've filed a tech ticket and hopefully we'll either get more clarification or a fix soon!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 24 of 32
latest reply

tyler@ebay

Hi tyler, I'm a bit confused about a couple of your comments, please see my comments/questions in blue below.
PJ

tyler@ebay wrote:

Hey everyone -

Just wanted to let you know I did some digging and was able to find a little bit of general information about what should be being shown:

Completed listings are available for items that have sold within the last 90 days and for items that didn't sell within the last 30 days.

That is how I understand it to work as well but we are not seeing all of the items that sold during the last 90 days. music's sold listings were being shown as either 91 or 64 when in reality, she sold 174 items in that 3 month period.

My sold items were being shown as 6 or 7 items but I had sold about 38 items during those 90 days.  In my case quite a few of the multiple sales were not being counted but there were also a few other items that just didn't show up at all on the sold page. For example, the page was showing sold items from May 25. It counts one item as having been sold 1 time in 3 months when there were really 7 of that item sold.I'm sure that it was different at one time Either on the completed page or the sold page the total number sold would include all items sold. In the case of multiple gtc listings, that number would be updated every 30 days when the listing rolled over. Perhaps someone else remembers that it used to be like that or am I just confused? 🙂

• When using the Advanced Search page, an "Items by seller" search will include completed listings up to the last 15 days.
  • When using the Advanced Search page, an "Items by bidder" search will include completed listings up to the last 30 days.

This part confuses me. In the first part of your post you mentioned that completed listings showed for up to 30 days, but then you mention 15 days.  When I search completed listings or sold listings using advanced search or by checking off completed items on the seller's listing page, I see completed items for up to 30 days, not 15. I see sold items for up to 90 days. But again..not all sold items are showing up.

What do you mean by an items by bidders search? Bidders don't have completed listings? 

Nothing I've found explains why the numbers are changing between refreshes however, so I've filed a tech ticket and hopefully we'll either get more clarification or a fix soon!

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

Update, well I see that they fixed the refresh button it now remains stable.  It shows I have sold only 71 when in fact, I have sold 178 since June 4/17.  There is no rhyme or reason for dropping over 100 sales off my list, but at least they fixed the refresh issue.  

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Does the number of Solds change if you look at it on eBay.ca versus eBay.com?
Message 27 of 32
latest reply

Hi Mj, it is exactly the same on .ca as on .com.  I tried to see if there was pattern, maybe the missing items were where I sold several items to one buyer, or that I have several listed.  No pattern at all.  I checked.  

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

Can you determine specifically which ones aren't being counted?
Message 29 of 32
latest reply

Message 30 of 32
latest reply

Yes, but it is all over the map. sometimes they miss a couple of days, sometimes just one that day.  When it is over a hundred missing it is easier to look at the ones that they do show.  

Message 31 of 32
latest reply

we find the same but with items for sale...every time i hit refresh the value changes by 1 or 2

Message 32 of 32
latest reply