Canada Post 2018 parcel changes

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/business/parcelRate_2018_OoC_en.pdf

Highlights:

1. Light Packet dies. Small Packet and Tracked Packet get an additional 0-100g price range to help compensate.

2. Expedited Parcel (Canada) gets a volumetric change. Starting January 15 the divisor will be 5000 instead of 6000.  This will push some parcel sizes into a higher price range. Regular parcel will remain unchanged with a 6000 divisor. So for some sizes Regular Parcel may be a better price than a discounted Expedited Parcel price.

3. Domestic prices will be up about 4% and the rest of the world up around 1.2%

4. Manual Small Packet labels will be phased out -- bar codes will be required (even if they are not tracked).

Actual 2018 parcel rates still to be released.

More: https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=service_and_price_ch

-..-

Message 1 of 208
latest reply
207 REPLIES 207

Thank you. I think we all saw the writing on the wall as far as Light Packet was concerned but I'm a bit concerned about the volumetric change with Expedited Parcel. I suppose I will have to wait and see where it affects the sizes of parcels with which I normally contend. Using calculated postage, the rates will adjust themselves on Jan. 15 but the day before I'll go to my 200 or so listings that offer Light Packet and delete that choice from among the postage options in favour of Small Packet, I guess. It will be interesting to see what price they offer us for 1 g to 100 g and how it will compare to the pricing of the service being eliminated. 

Message 2 of 208
latest reply

Thanks for sharing that.  For me shipping a CD within Canada will remain the same. 

To the USA, well I use USPS so not affected until they raise their rates, however, I use light packet a lot for international shipping.  The price was 10.10.  Is it going to change that much, I looked at some of the more common places and it seems to be close, maybe 50 cents higher. 

Maybe a seller who ships both light and small packet can tell me if they notice much of a difference.  Should I be looking up each place to see what the amount is?   I sell mostly on .com so use a flat rate. 

Message 3 of 208
latest reply

3.)  Given my firm belief in smoke and mirrors, I'm pleased that Small Packet will now have a barcode.

Even an untrackable barcode is enough to keep most honest customers happy.

Message 4 of 208
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Thanks for sharing that.  For me shipping a CD within Canada will remain the same. 

To the USA, well I use USPS so not affected until they raise their rates, however, I use light packet a lot for international shipping.  The price was 10.10.  Is it going to change that much, I looked at some of the more common places and it seems to be close, maybe 50 cents higher. 

Maybe a seller who ships both light and small packet can tell me if they notice much of a difference.  Should I be looking up each place to see what the amount is?   I sell mostly on .com so use a flat rate. 

Right now, discounted Small Packet International labels through either eBay/Shippo or PayPal both are better than the Light Packet rate. Some of my last shipments with discounts -- Norway $8.39, Australia $9.45

What I don't know is if the PayPal and eBay discounts of around 20% will continue after January 15 or if it was a temporary discount by CPC to shift sellers to Small Packet from Light Packet.

Small Packet USA is flat rate. Small Packet International is also flat rate (sort of) -- that varies by region (I think Canada Post divides the world into 9 or 10 zones).

Message 5 of 208
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

3.)  Given my firm belief in smoke and mirrors, I'm pleased that Small Packet will now have a barcode.

Small Packet already has a bar code when you print the label online. This just phasing out the old manual labels and requiring a barcode on all Small Packet shipments.

I do agree with the "smoke & mirrors" reassurance. Plus I like using a marker to highlight both the address and the printed number (just  under the bar code) on the label.  The address to make it easier for the delivery person to find, and the number for the -- "see, the post office has eyes on this package"  message... Smiley Wink

-..-

Message 6 of 208
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Small Packet already has a bar code when you print the label online. This just phasing out the old manual labels and requiring a barcode on all Small Packet shipments.

I do agree with the "smoke & mirrors" reassurance. Plus I like using a marker to highlight both the address and the printed number (just  under the bar code) on the label.  The address to make it easier for the delivery person to find, and the number for the -- "see, the post office has eyes on this package"  message... Smiley Wink

-..-

Absolutely, when I used Small Packet, I did the same. I really loathe untracked services but still offer that in about 10 per cent of my listings, the ones that can ship via domestic lettermail also offered Light Packet up to now. Everything else parcel-size switched to Tracked Packet at the start of 2016. My rate off loss (or more likely, theft) was really relatively low after bar codes were introduced on Small Packet but the last two I had in late 2015 rankled so badly I stopped offering it. Everything those buyers did around opening their Items Not Received cases screamed scam right up to the feedback left which taunted me. 

I don't doubt the barcode reassures honest buyers but the professional thieves know precisely what the words 'no delivery scan' means in any language. 

Message 7 of 208
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

-..-

Dennis, do you mean the number under The bar code that is so small that one needs a magnifying glass to see it? I always quote that number in my emails to my buyers. 😇

Message 8 of 208
latest reply

That number does have value. While it might not offer tracking, if the foreign buyer has been sent a notice saying the owe duty or customs fees, it will quote the barcode numerals. That way, the buyer can tell what order Customs is talking about. 

Message 9 of 208
latest reply

So, if you send small packet to the US, using stamps will be difficult, either have to create label on line or take it to the post office.

No more using CN22 sticking stamps on and putting in mail box. Another CP shaft job.

So, if you sell small items, you get the shaft again, time wise, cost wise and Ebay and Paypal fees wise, and tax wise as well.

I may have to only ship my .ca stuff to Canada and my .com stuff to the US.

Great for the seller of smaller items again!

Message 10 of 208
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:
Dennis, do you mean the number under The bar code that is so small that one needs a magnifying glass to see it? I always quote that number in my emails to my buyers. 😇

Yes, which is why I highlight -- too small to spot otherwise...

Message 11 of 208
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

So, if you send small packet to the US, using stamps will be difficult, either have to create label on line or take it to the post office.

No more using CN22 sticking stamps on and putting in mail box.

Yes. The only way to use stamps for Small Packet after January will be to take it to a post office/outlet.

-..-

Message 12 of 208
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

No more using CN22 sticking stamps on and putting in mail box. Another CP shaft job.

So, if you sell small items, you get the shaft again, time wise, cost wise and Ebay and Paypal fees wise, and tax wise as well.

I may have to only ship my .ca stuff to Canada and my .com stuff to the US.

Great for the seller of smaller items again!

Yes us "stamps on the box" kinda folks are going to have some new challenges with this. 

I can think of a few ways to approach this, I'll have to figure out the best way to accomplish what I want to do. May take a couple tries.

It will be interesting to see what "phased in" means.... 

Message 13 of 208
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

So, if you send small packet to the US, using stamps will be difficult, either have to create label on line or take it to the post office. No more using CN22 sticking stamps on and putting in mail box.

Yes us "stamps on the box" kinda folks are going to have some new challenges with this. 

I can think of a few ways to approach this, I'll have to figure out the best way to accomplish what I want to do. May take a couple tries.

It will be interesting to see what "phased in" means.... 

Just means you are allowed to use up the manual labels you have on hand.

cpc manual smallpacket.jpg

-..-

Message 14 of 208
latest reply

So, if you have 500 CN22 on hand, you should be OK for a while?

If so, then why did CP make the change they did?

How long before CP says no more period?

I don't trust CP anymore than I trust Ebay!

Message 15 of 208
latest reply

Is the CN22 the customs label for small packet?  I wonder if CP means that are they referring to the non bar coded labels that they have for commercial customers?

https://www.canadapost.ca/shop/commercial-supplies/labels-and-forms/labels.jsf?execution=e1s1&forceV...

addreesslae.jpg

Message 16 of 208
latest reply

I didn't realize that commercial customers could buy bar coded labels for the other services...xpresspost, international parcel etc.  If they come out with one for small packet I hope that they will make it available to small business customers too.

Message 17 of 208
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Is the CN22 the customs label for small packet?  I wonder if CP means that are they referring to the non bar coded labels that they have for commercial customers?

https://www.canadapost.ca/shop/commercial-supplies/labels-and-forms/labels.jsf?execution=e1s1&forceV...

addreesslae.jpg

These are the white CN22 Small Packet labels which have no bar code. If you want I can scan one and attach it to the post. It is the self copying form, one with adhesive and one a copy to retain

Message 18 of 208
latest reply

I've seen the older version...the green ones (if we are talking about the same thing) . But I had never used them as an actual label, only as a place to fill in customs information.  When you use them, you don't put the name and address in a separate area on the front of the package?

Message 19 of 208
latest reply

I believe Canada Post will come out with a New CN22 Customs Label with a bar code.

How else is someone going to go to the Post Office and declare value, list contents and shipping info on a Small Packet??img045.jpg

Message 20 of 208
latest reply