Canada Post 2018 parcel changes

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/business/parcelRate_2018_OoC_en.pdf

Highlights:

1. Light Packet dies. Small Packet and Tracked Packet get an additional 0-100g price range to help compensate.

2. Expedited Parcel (Canada) gets a volumetric change. Starting January 15 the divisor will be 5000 instead of 6000.  This will push some parcel sizes into a higher price range. Regular parcel will remain unchanged with a 6000 divisor. So for some sizes Regular Parcel may be a better price than a discounted Expedited Parcel price.

3. Domestic prices will be up about 4% and the rest of the world up around 1.2%

4. Manual Small Packet labels will be phased out -- bar codes will be required (even if they are not tracked).

Actual 2018 parcel rates still to be released.

More: https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=service_and_price_ch

-..-

Message 1 of 208
latest reply
207 REPLIES 207

@markiku

I used to sell on Ebay, c o m ever since we switched to , CA I noticed less sales

You do know that you can still list on dotCOM, right?

We have to use Flat Rate shipping on other sites.

If we are into Parcel Rates with destination variations, then selling on dotCA with Calculated Shipping becomes the best shipping method.

Message 201 of 208
latest reply

wrote:

“BTW, how are boxes measured and weighed at the Canada Post sorting centers (if that's what they're called)?”

There was a post from someone else recently that said they use some type of laser to check the measurements. I don’t know anything about that.

CuibiScan is a leader in measuring and weighing boxes automatically. I believe recped was the one mentions their brand in a post recently about automated measuring and weighing.

These machines are also used by companies that ship a lot to quickly measure and weigh their packages for shipping.  Here is a promotional video (2 min) of such a machine from CubiScan if anyone is interested in seeing one in use.

http://cubiscan.com/dimensioning/cubiscan-150/

Message 202 of 208
latest reply

I wasn't able to see the video.  After a short video preamble, the red play arrow appeared again and again.  However, I was able to find another video showing the Cubiscan 150 in action but was unable to understand how this could be applied to Canada Post parcels.

When I think of parcels flowing through the Canada Post system, I visualize hundreds of them, large and small, on a conveyer belt moving rapidly.  (Maybe I've been watching too many Amazon warehouse videos lol).  That's why I wondered how non-compliant ones are found.  In the Cubiscan video, it shows each parcel being touched by an employee holding what looks like a scanner.  Surely, this couldn't work in a high volume atmosphere?  Maybe it can .... I don't know.

Message 203 of 208
latest reply

wrote:

I wasn't able to see the video.  After a short video preamble, the red play arrow appeared again and again.  However, I was able to find another video showing the Cubiscan 150 in action but was unable to understand how this could be applied to Canada Post parcels.

When I think of parcels flowing through the Canada Post system, I visualize hundreds of them, large and small, on a conveyer belt moving rapidly.  (Maybe I've been watching too many Amazon warehouse videos lol).  That's why I wondered how non-compliant ones are found.  In the Cubiscan video, it shows each parcel being touched by an employee holding what looks like a scanner.  Surely, this couldn't work in a high volume atmosphere?  Maybe it can .... I don't know.

Cubiscan has fully automated models for scanning on a conveyor belt thousands of items passing by. I just gave that model above as an example of how a scanner works.

What brand and models Canad Post uses, I do not know. I assume the dimension and weight as measured going by and using the bar code on the package, the data is compared and the packages that are larger than the data used by the sender are flagged for money owing.

Message 204 of 208
latest reply

Thanks @pocomocomputing.  That makes sense.

Message 205 of 208
latest reply

Are you saying that you use USPS to ship items from Canada to the USA? If so, how do you do this? 

Message 206 of 208
latest reply

There are several reshipping companies in Canada, who will take your parcels across the border and send them via USPS.

There is a small charge for this.

Best known is chitchatexpress which has outlets in Toronto (Mississaugua) and Vancouver.

I'm not up on all of them, because none are useful to me on Vancouver Island. I can see the USA from my back porch * but it's an expensive ferry ride to get there.

Some sellers are close to the border and drive across with their parcels on a regular basis.

*Well actually, the Olympic Mountains from Willows Beach about six blocks away.

Message 207 of 208
latest reply

wrote:

... use USPS to ship items from Canada to the USA? If so, how do you do this? 

If you are living in certain areas of Canada you can use a  crossborder shipper.

Drop the shipment off at their location, and they (for a small fee) will take your parcel across the border and mail it using USPS (really cheap domestic tracked for the USA).

ChitChatsExpress (Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Halifax)

DYKpost (Calgary, Edmonton)

RunninRed (Winnipeg)

StallionExpress (Toronto)

are the ones I've heard about. The process works because the USA has a $800 personal duty exemption and no federal sales tax -- so perfect for less expensive stuff.

-..-

Message 208 of 208
latest reply