Canada Post 2018 parcel changes

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/business/parcelRate_2018_OoC_en.pdf

Highlights:

1. Light Packet dies. Small Packet and Tracked Packet get an additional 0-100g price range to help compensate.

2. Expedited Parcel (Canada) gets a volumetric change. Starting January 15 the divisor will be 5000 instead of 6000.  This will push some parcel sizes into a higher price range. Regular parcel will remain unchanged with a 6000 divisor. So for some sizes Regular Parcel may be a better price than a discounted Expedited Parcel price.

3. Domestic prices will be up about 4% and the rest of the world up around 1.2%

4. Manual Small Packet labels will be phased out -- bar codes will be required (even if they are not tracked).

Actual 2018 parcel rates still to be released.

More: https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=service_and_price_ch

-..-

Message 1 of 208
latest reply
207 REPLIES 207

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Highlights:

1. Light Packet dies. Small Packet and Tracked Packet get an additional 0-100g price range to help compensate.

2. Expedited Parcel (Canada) gets a volumetric change. Starting January 15 the divisor will be 5000 instead of 6000.  This will push some parcel sizes into a higher price range. Regular parcel will remain unchanged with a 6000 divisor. So for some sizes Regular Parcel may be a better price than a discounted Expedited Parcel price.

4. Manual Small Packet labels will be phased out -- bar codes will be required (even if they are not tracked).

Thank you for posting this information.  

It was expected that Light Packet would disappear, but I'm glad something is being done about the weight breaks in Small Packet.  I've been using Shippo labels, and have lost count how many times I've had to pay more than was necessary for a 90gm parcel via Small Packets.  It was about time Canada Post rationalized small parcel service.  

As for the rest, well at least the rate increases aren't terribly shocking this year.  

Message 41 of 208
latest reply

I am waiting to see what the small packet rates will be, especially the lower weight.

It was always the light packet that went up around 40% so we'll see what small packet does compared to the ridiculous light packet costs.

Message 42 of 208
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Highlights:

It was expected that Light Packet would disappear, but I'm glad something is being done about the weight breaks in Small Packet.  I've been using Shippo labels, and have lost count how many times I've had to pay more than was necessary for a 90gm parcel via Small Packets.  It was about time Canada Post rationalized small parcel service.  

As for the rest, well at least the rate increases aren't terribly shocking this year.  

It remains to be seen if eBay/Shippo and PayPal discounts for Small Packet remain or if they disappear completely.  If they disappear it will effectively be a 20% price jump for Small Packet over 100g.

Esty has some sample January 15, 2018 prices up (thanks pocomocomputing for pointing me there)

Small Packet USA (2018)

001-100g ... $ 7.18

101-250g ...  unknown ($8.61 in 2017 for 1-250g)

251-500g ... $11.52

Discounted eBay rates (until Jan 14) are $7.05 (1-250g) and $9.25 (251-500g)

Small Packet Air to Europe (2018)

001-100g ... $ 9.76

101-250g ...  unknown  ($10.27 in 2017 for 1-250g)

251-500g ... $20.15

Discounted eBay rate (until Jan 14) is $8.39 for 250g and under.

-..-

Message 43 of 208
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Highlights:

It remains to be seen if eBay/Shippo and PayPal discounts for Small Packet remain or if they disappear completely.  If they disappear it will effectively be a 20% price jump for Small Packet over 100g.

Esty has some sample January 15, 2018 prices up (thanks pocomocomputing for pointing me there)

Small Packet USA (2018)

001-100g ... $ 7.18

251-500g ... $11.52

001-100g ... $ 9.76

251-500g ... $20.15

-..-

Thanks for the info.

Looks like another shaft job for lighter, cheaper items.

I wonder why for under 250 it is only about $2 more from US to Europe and for over 250 almost double.

The 100 to 200 grams will be another huge gouge from 6.84 to 8.61 if those rates are correct.

Seems to be the same every year from CP

Message 44 of 208
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Small Packet USA (2018)

001-100g ... $ 7.18

251-500g ... $11.52

001-100g ... $ 9.76

251-500g ... $20.15

The 100 to 200 grams will be another huge gouge from 6.84 to 8.61 if those rates are correct.

$8.61 is this year's rate.

If Canada Post splits the 250g range into 0-100g, and 101-250g using the same method they used when domestic parcel ranges where adjusted (back when 500g was raised to 750g), then the price I expect will be around $9.56 for 101-250g,   This is my first New Year's prediction.

I always worked on the if it looks like lettermail and feels like lettermail then it is lettermail. With the UPU rule changes in 2018, Canada Post will finally be correct about what can be sent as lettermail to other countries.

So my comparison point for lightweight stuff is $2.95 jumping to $7.18 for 100g and $5.15 jumping to $9+ for 200g.

My second New Year's prediction: I'll be busy reworking what I offer on eBay.

-..-

Message 45 of 208
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Small Packet USA (2018)

001-100g ... $ 7.18

251-500g ... $11.52

001-100g ... $ 9.76

251-500g ... $20.15

$8.61 is this year's rate.

If Canada Post splits the 250g range into 0-100g, and 101-250g using the same method they used when domestic parcel ranges where adjusted (back when 500g was raised to 750g), then the price I expect will be around $9.56 for 101-250g,   This is my first New Year's prediction.

I always worked on the if it looks like lettermail and feels like lettermail then it is lettermail. With the UPU rule changes in 2018, Canada Post will finally be correct about what can be sent as lettermail to other countries.

So my comparison point for lightweight stuff is $2.95 jumping to $7.18 for 100g and $5.15 jumping to $9+ for 200g.

My second New Year's prediction: I'll be busy reworking what I offer on eBay.

-..-

What do you think the sellers of stamps, cards, currency, etc are going to do about the new UPU rules?

Message 46 of 208
latest reply

Quick question, up until now I have been shipping Cd's as oversize letter mail in Canada, is that going to change?  If so my CD business in Canada is going to go the way of the dodo bird.

Message 47 of 208
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Quick question, up until now I have been shipping Cd's as oversize letter mail in Canada, is that going to change?  If so my CD business in Canada is going to go the way of the dodo bird.

No change.

While Canada Post did some experimenting in the summer with a Small Packet equivalent for Canada they have not announced a real service for Canada that they could push as an oversize lettermail replacement.

My cds and dvds will continue to use oversize lettermail for Canada in 2018.

-..-

Message 48 of 208
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

What do you think the sellers of stamps, cards, currency, etc are going to do about the new UPU rules?

Since 98% of those sellers don't know about the new UPU rules

and since it is hard to spot that sort of stuff in a letter  -- so no returns by the post office for improper use (unlike coins which can be X-ray detected) ...

I predict: business as usual....

Message 49 of 208
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe it is a tracking number?  I hope so!! Smiley Happy

Message 50 of 208
latest reply

That is what tracked packet is.

Do you think they would duplicate so they can get less money?

Message 51 of 208
latest reply

From what I understand, the postal outlets are paid for package they accept there but they were not paid for light packet or lettermail. When they started putting the bar codes on small packet printed labels I wondered if it was a way for CP to controls the fees they paid to the outlets since before the bar code there was no official way to know how many small packets they really did handle.  But I could be way off base with that.

Message 52 of 208
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

From what I understand, the postal outlets are paid for package they accept there but they were not paid for light packet or lettermail. When they started putting the bar codes on small packet printed labels I wondered if it was a way for CP to controls the fees they paid to the outlets since before the bar code there was no official way to know how many small packets they really did handle.  ...

Since you can get an originate scan for Small Packet at a postal outlet that would be one reason for a bar code.

Another reason would be more automation of the sorting process. Manual labels require more handling. And Canada Post does want to reduce the union body count.

An internal bar code internal use would be detecting CPC mail system bottlenecks.

Canada Post does have those bar codes in their computer system. Several years ago you enter the bar code and see the originate scans on the Canada Post website (no tracking though) -- lasted for a few months until (probably) someone in management said that's an untracked service -- gotta hide that info from the customers.

-..-

Message 53 of 208
latest reply

I'm afraid I don't understand the conversation as it relates to CN22's.  I didn't think anyone was using these anymore.  I haven't used them in years.

Can I assume then that only people who are using discounted postage are manually filling out these forms?  That's understandable.  But if there are others, I'm not sure why when an online label is so much quicker, and more professional looking.   Plus now a separate bar code will be required.  I find this thread very interesting and I thank "ypdc_dennis" for posting this. I'm just left wondering if there is some benefit to the manual customs form that I don't know about.

Message 54 of 208
latest reply

Hi Jt, I use the forms all the time as I ship light packet internationally and cannot buy that online.  So in January, I will have to ship using small packet at which time I will have to buy online. 

Message 55 of 208
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi Jt, I use the forms all the time as I ship light packet internationally and cannot buy that online.  So in January, I will have to ship using small packet at which time I will have to buy online.

-------------------------------------/

Oh, of course. I've been using the Small Packet Air instead of Light Packet. Shippo and then later PayPal offered a discount for up to 150 g so that suited my purpose ($7.05). I'd forgotten that Light Packet was still available with a CN 22. 

Message 56 of 208
latest reply

Canada Post allows a user to complete that Customs form online. You don't need the CN22 sticker to send an item Light Packet. You can complete it at canadapost.ca and then take your QR code to the counter and they will print your label for you proper when you pay. Until Light Packet is discontinued completely. Plus, it looks a whole lot more professional, in my opinion. 

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 5.19.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 5.19.41 AM.png

Message 57 of 208
latest reply

If you own a smartphone, you don't even need to print  paper sheet to bring with you. The clerks can scan the barcode on your mobile device from the email you receive afterwards. 

Message 58 of 208
latest reply

Don't own a smart phone and still have to make a trip to the post office which is far more time consuming and costly than filling out the form at home, sticking it on an envelope, using a Dymo label and return address label, placing stamps, and putting it in mail box.

Message 59 of 208
latest reply

"I don't doubt the barcode reassures honest buyers but the professional thieves know precisely what the words 'no delivery scan' means in any language."

We just use white out to hide those words on every small packet air. Also white out the french version on the other side. We are sure that doing this has prevented most potential scams.

Message 60 of 208
latest reply