Canada Post Possible Stike

What happens now that orders are in the mail with a possible expected delivery date of September 30 and early October, what happens if not received there is no way of knowing whether these items will be received after strike is over.  Will eBay delay delivery date?

Message 1 of 601
latest reply
600 REPLIES 600

Re: Canada Post Possible Strike / Lockout

It is Monday September 24, 2018.

We are two days away from a new reality.

We shall see .....

Message 81 of 601
latest reply

We are nearing the end of the conciliation process, which is officially referred to as the 21-day cooling off period. This is a normal phase of the conciliation process detailed in the Canada Labour Code and will end on Tuesday, September 25. That means the earliest a legal job action could occur is 00:01 (one minute after midnight) on Wednesday, September 26. A legal job action requires the filing of a 72-hour notice. So the earliest that could come is Sunday, September 23.

It seems we get an extra day for delivery times .

Message 82 of 601
latest reply

Correction.....

So the earliest that could come is Sunday, September 30.

CUPW has been very quiet.      Perhaps  with a fear that they could lose what has already been gained for the Rural workers.

There is no guarantee that the last day of September will be the first day of a strike/lockout... 

and ... I do have a parcel with an expected delivery date of October 1?  

Message 83 of 601
latest reply

September 30 is incorrect.

Giving of notice can be given before end of cooling off period.

If either side wanted a strike/lockout they could give notice today for Thursday.

Earliest is now Friday (Sept 28) as CUPW has said it is not going to give notice today.

Sept 24: The CUPW National Executive Board (NEB) has decided not to file a 72-hour strike notice for now.

-..-

Message 84 of 601
latest reply

For now it will be one day at a time.....

CUPW may give no notice of a strike....

But... What about Canada Post?... a lock out

and then... The Government of Canada could step forward and end it all.  

Who will be the first to cross the line?

Message 85 of 601
latest reply

Canada Post has only an interim President.

That may be part of the considerations of the management.

She may not want the job permanently, but shutting the post office down and causing a public uproar won't look good on her resume.

While Chopra had more personal power,  not only was he popular with the Conservative government, but he was able to refuse to resign for several months after the Liberals came in.

Message 86 of 601
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

CUPW has been very quiet.      Perhaps  with a fear that they could lose what has already been gained for the Rural workers.

I doubt that.  That gain was the result of arbitration, and it's unlikely that can be taken away.

I suspect that both parties have agreed not to "bargain through the media" as this strategy is often counterproductive.  Quite often with collective bargaining, no news is also a sign that things are progressing pretty cordially.  Things may not be developing as quickly as we would like, but at least the two sides are talking to one another.  In the last round of negotiations, the employer was doing a lot of stonewalling.

Message 87 of 601
latest reply

The Rural Group got a major adjustment.

CUPW might have to lower their expectations for the Urban Group.

Message 88 of 601
latest reply

“For now it will be one day at a time.....

“CUPW may give no notice of a strike....

“But... What about Canada Post?... a lock out

“and then... The Government of Canada could step forward and end it all.

“Who will be the first to cross the line?”

Every day in the life of human existence is one day at a time.

There’s not going to be a strike or lock-out.

The sky is not falling.

You may exhale.

This is all going to amount to a hill of beans.

... and.... I’ve run out of idioms.
Message 89 of 601
latest reply

No news from CUPW, so 72 hours pushes the strike option to the weekend.

Only news from Canada Post is the Yellow Alert for Ottawa-Gatineau because of continuing tornado & wind storm cleanup.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/details.page?article=2018/09/24/mail_delivery_a...

-..-

Message 90 of 601
latest reply

My eBay store has been on vacation since the afternoon of Monday, September 17.

The last parcels were mailed on September 17 and 18, using Canada Post.

Parcels going to the US have crossed the border  and are no longer with Canada Post.

There was a concern with one parcel going to Happy Valley, Goose Bay, Newfoundland....  The expected delivery date was October 1.   A very long distance for this parcel to travel.

Tracking shows that the parcel  had arrived in Happy Valley.  A notice was left by Canada Post .... and the Parcel was picked up today, September 26

This parcel has been delivered, and the last chance for a problem with delivery of a parcel  by Canada Post is gone.

Now I can sit back and relax.....  and prepare more listings, lots more listings.

Tomorrow is the first day of a major charity book sale in Winnipeg....  I can go shopping and not worry about eBay sales, parcels, and then any disruption by Canada Post.

I can now relax and not worry  about Canada Post.

Message 91 of 601
latest reply

@bpl521_sell

So...what happens if you ship an item, during shipping strike happens and delivery is delayed. Buyer files a Item not received as the parcel is stuck in a warehouse somewhere,

FWIW- the union's preference seems to have been for revolving strikes, often only  single shift, in various cities across Canada.

This meant the least loss of pay for the workers.

The mail is slowed but does not stop.

What seller should be concerned about is a management "strike"-- a lockout--which would lock out all workers across Canada for days or weeks.

The current interim CEO does not seem to suffer from testosterone poisoning, unlike Chopra, so things can proceed as discussions and negotiations among grownups.

Message 92 of 601
latest reply

The current Interim CEO is a woman.   (Women do have a very, very low level of testosterone.) 

Quote  "Canada Post board chair Jessica McDonald will serve as president and CEO of the crown corporation on an interim basis starting April 2."

Her presence  as CEO,  could make things happen  compared to the situation in 2016.  One might also suspect that critical negotiations  did not  really start until after April 2. 

Once negotiations end,  Canada Post could become a very different corporation.... but not because of the negotiations.

One gets the impression that CUPW has been very quiet, and very direct  over the many months of negotiation, and may expect the future of CUPW  could change.

Message 93 of 601
latest reply

Thursday September 27

* No news from CUPW.

* Update from Canada Post:

While the conciliation process has now concluded, talks continue with the assistance of a mediator. Our goal remains to reach negotiated settlements and we continue to work toward that goal. We understand that until agreements are reached, uncertainty will remain.

If we reach a point where the union decides to issue a 72-hour notice, a notice would be posted on [the Canada Post] site.  If the union decides to conduct a legal rotating job action, Canada Post would remain committed to negotiating and we would continue to operate.

-..-

Message 94 of 601
latest reply

I think it’s safe to assume it’s going to be okay for sellers to continue to sell and mail their orders unabated.
Message 95 of 601
latest reply

Sounds like it, that's good. Sales have picked up recently, I hate to have to close my store.

Message 96 of 601
latest reply

(Women do have a very, very low level of testosterone.) 

OT- I believe we can see it - particularly on the dotCOM Boards.

Unhappy sellers (or buyers) who appear to be male, from ID name and categories they use, are likely to be furious and demanding immediate action and threatening widespread boycotts and calling in the police.

Those that appear to be female, seem more likely to blame themselves and willing to believe the other party in the Dispute, even when every poster is saying it's a scam.

I may be a little prejudiced.

Message 97 of 601
latest reply

Sept 28:

CUPW gets a bit more vocal with a few posts:

* reduce injuries and improve working conditions

* more full time employees, fewer part-time and temporary workers

plus a note that talks will be held this weekend.

Which implies any strike action is pushed to next Wednesday (Oct 3) or beyond.

-..-

Message 98 of 601
latest reply

Many will come here and say... Everything is OK.... No problem...

We should all understand that the 72 hour window  can close very quickly.

Message 99 of 601
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Many will come here and say... Everything is OK.... No problem...

We should all understand that the 72 hour window  can close very quickly.

The 72 hour window takes 3 days.

Bit like a weather forecast, something you check every day.

I see a chance of showers, you see a category 3 hurricane coming.

We each take measures that seem appropriate.

-..-

Message 100 of 601
latest reply