Canada Post Rates 2017

Has anyone made a chart for the new mailing rates. Also on what date do the new rates start?

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Canada Post Rates 2017

@jt-libra wrote:

These are the two charts I just printed off for lettermail Canada, U.S.A. and International:

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/supportdocuments/advanced_lm_pricesheet-e.pdf

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/supportdocuments/advanced_lp_pricesheet-e.pdf

I'm still not clear about light packet rates.  For the U.S, would it not fall under the oversize lettermail which indicates $5.36 plus GST for over 100 g to 200 g (which is what I primarily use), but then that's less than the current rate which totals $5.70.  What???

Where do you see $5.36  for 100g to 200g for the USA?  I see $5.15 for stamps, $4.98 for metered.

$5.36 is the stamp rate that the post office wanted for Jan/2016 before the government post office review stopped that price increase. Oversize lettermail stamp rates are unchanged since Apr/2014 -- when the current post office review is completed I expect to see some increases allowed.

Light packet does not need government approval for Canada Post to hike the price. According to unofficial sources light packet (0-200g) in 2017 is heading towards $6.84 for the USA (a big jump from $5.70).

-..-

Message 21 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Where do you see $5.36  for 100g to 200g for the USA?  I see $5.15 for stamps, $4.98 for metered

Sorry ..... I had both the 2016 rates and the 2017 rates in front of me and I was busy calculating every weight class and I posted the wrong price.  The $5.36 was on the 2016 chart for 100g to 200g metered postage to the U.S. but, as you stated, this was disallowed.

According to unofficial sources light packet (0-200g) in 2017 is heading towards $6.84 for the USA (a big jump from $5.70).

Ouch!   For small items that I ship free within Canada, I charge $2.95 US to the States so I pay basically the same amount, out-of-pocket, for the $5.70 light packet rate.  If it goes up another dollar, I'll probably have to eat that since there is way too much competition for media items, which basically ship for free to Americans by American sellers.

Message 22 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

Most items I send are light packets to US or intl, both of which are increasing by more than $1. This will be very hard for me to survive. I currently pay CP well over $10k per year, could they not offer better prices for high volume shippers? I do have their business card, but the discounts only apply to larger parcels, which I virtually never send.

If there's no way to get a better price from Canada Post, do any competitors like UPS, FedEx, DHL, Purolator offer better prices for small items to the US and/or intl?

Otherwise I heard of Chit Chat express, it seems like I may have no choice but to figure out how this service works, are there other services similar to chit chat express?

Thanks

Message 23 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

@isell999 wrote:

If there's no way to get a better price from Canada Post, do any competitors like UPS, FedEx, DHL, Purolator offer better prices for small items to the US and/or intl?

Personally, I don't use any of these services; when I've checked their prices, I've found I'm better off with Canada Post.  There are other regular posters who could provide you with more information, since I only ship to Canada and the U.S.

Otherwise I heard of Chit Chat express, it seems like I may have no choice but to figure out how this service works, are there other services similar to chit chat express?

There are a couple of people who post on this Board who use Chit Chats -- one in Vancouver.  She may be able to help you when she visits this thread.  To my knowledge, they are only located in Ontario and Richmond, B.C. and you have to be able to get your parcels to them .... either by driving to their offices or shipping a number of parcels to them at one time for forwarding to the U.S.

Message 24 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

There's one in Winnipeg now of which I'm aware. RedRun? I've not investigated yet for pricing and feasibility. But if smaller operations are cropping up in places like Winnipeg then Canada Post may be facing some stiffer competition in the future.
Message 25 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

@isell999 wrote:

Most items I send are light packets to US or intl, both of which are increasing by more than $1. This will be very hard for me to survive. I currently pay CP well over $10k per year, could they not offer better prices for high volume shippers? ...

With that $ volume talk to a Canada Post rep about a commercial contract to see what is available.

@isell999 wrote:

... Otherwise I heard of Chit Chat express, it seems like I may have no choice but to figure out how this service works, are there other services similar to chit chat express?

Chit Chat Express (Vancouver, Toronto area, Halifax)

Stallion Express (Toronto area)

DYK Post (Edmonton/Calgary/Red Deer)

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Anyone-know-how-in-the-world-Chit-Chats-Express-works/m-p...

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Chit-Chat-express-is-it-worth-it/td-p/339859

You get the package to the reshipper, they take your package (for small fee) across the border and mail it in the USA (you've already bought the USA postage & label online for your package) -- takes advantage of the cheaper USA domestic rates to save you money.

Limit: packages are under $800us and not for for commercial shipment use.

Not for everyone. Works best for those who are close enough to the reshipper's location/service area to take advantage.

-..-

Message 26 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

@mjwl2006 wrote:
There's one in Winnipeg now of which I'm aware. RedRun? I've not investigated yet for pricing and feasibility. But if smaller operations are cropping up in places like Winnipeg then Canada Post may be facing some stiffer competition in the future.

I googled RedRun .... got some info about Zombies. LOL

Then I found:

http://www.runninred.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=250

Interesting.

Message 27 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

Running Red! Yes. Haha. Whoops.
Message 28 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

I was just about to start selling a new type of larger item. Is there a way to know the new prices of larger parcels before Jan 16 so I can start making my listings now or do I need to wait until the 16th to see those prices?

I hope the larger parcels to US aren't going up as much as light packet is.

Message 29 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

@isell999 wrote:

Most items I send are light packets to US or intl, both of which are increasing by more than $1. This will be very hard for me to survive. I currently pay CP well over $10k per year, could they not offer better prices for high volume shippers? I do have their business card, but the discounts only apply to larger parcels, which I virtually never send.

Thanks

There are volume discounts through CP for some services but the discount for small packets isn't thst high.  

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/pages/smallbusiness/default.page

Message 30 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

If you use Calculated Shipping, the postal increases are irrelevant to you as a seller because you enter the item weight and size and the buyer pays the rest.
Message 31 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@isell999 wrote:

Thanks

There are volume discounts through CP for some services but the discount for small packets isn't thst high.  

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/pages/smallbusiness/default.page

What I send is light packet, not small packet, there are no discounts at all for light packet. I called them and someone will call me back to see if I can get a special price.

Message 32 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

@mjwl2006 wrote:
If you use Calculated Shipping, the postal increases are irrelevant to you as a seller because you enter the item weight and size and the buyer pays the rest.

All my items are light packets, these postal increases are likely to make my business go bankrupt, I simply will not be able to compete with US sellers anymore unless I find a solution so I'm extremely worried about my future.

Message 33 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

@isell999 wrote:
I was just about to start selling a new type of larger item. Is there a way to know the new prices of larger parcels before Jan 16 so I can start making my listings now or do I need to wait until the 16th to see those prices?
All my items are light packets, these postal increases are likely to make my business go bankrupt, I simply will not be able to compete with US sellers anymore unless I find a solution so I'm extremely worried about my future.

Are you able to tell people here what you are selling or planning to sell, or else a rough idea about size dimensions and weight & value of the average parcel you sell or are planning to sell?  It might help the others come up with a more specific suggestion, like sharing their ideas about what they would do in the same situation selling those same items.  

Message 34 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

Your feedback shows you selling shoes and boots, which would not go by Light Packet/LetterPost.

There has been some mention here of a renewed Flat Rate Box rate, which might be worth looking into. It may be a trial and not available everywhere.

You may find it useful to compare your costs with your US competitors, especially for overseas and Canadian sales.

https://ircalc.usps.com/

Don't forget to allow for foreign exchange of about 25%.

And don't forget that any non-US buyer will also be seeing that a very high percentage of those US sellers who will sell internationally, are clinging desperately to the Global Shipping Program.

With the advent of the Global Shipping Program, and oddly, with the change to Canadian currency listings on dotCA, I have found my overseas sales have risen.

Message 35 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

@isell999 wrote:

I hope the larger parcels to US aren't going up as much as light packet is.

USA (new 2017 rates)

000-250g ..  8.61 Small Packet (Air) -- up 25 cents from 8.36

251-500g .. 11.29 Small Packet (Air) -- up 22 cents from 11.07
000-250g .. 15.42 Tracked Packet
251-500g .. 16.71 Tracked Packet

501g-1kg .. 16.82 Small Packet (Air) -- up 17 cents from 16.65
501g-1kg .. 18.92 Tracked Packet

-..-

You can use calculated shipping to have the rates for small packet and tracked packet show the changes automatically (tracked gets a small discount through paypal).

Message 36 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

Light packets between 100-200 grams were $5 in 2015

$5.70 in 2016

Now $6.84 in 2017

Wow Canada post wants to be competitve and have raised the price by $1.14 in 1 year wow

even when it is converted to US we can`t compete with American sellers or even Chinese sellers

when it comes to cd`s light books & magazines , light packets

Plus we will be paying higher paypal and ebay fees

for those with a low mark up the gig is up.

I live about 40 minutes from chit chats hopefully I will have to phase out Canada post within a month or so.

There is Stallion express in Markham 

and for larger parcels you can get quotes from Costco Shiptime.

i believe that chit chats has a location downtown Toronto, Mississauga and Markham.

I wish more of these pop up express companies spread out in my araea

Message 37 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

@markiku wrote:

Light packets between 100-200 grams were $5 in 2015

$5.70 in 2016

Now $6.84 in 2017

Back in 2014 for USA:

100-150g for $3.79

151-250g for $6.37

Cross-border reshippers are in a high risk work environment. They make use of the difference between domestic USPS rates and Canadian US mailing rates to be attractive. Plus they depend on the large "import free" minimum into the USA -- which the new president could crush with his protectionist ways. They'd be financially damaged if the duty free clearance value was dropped to $20us.

Message 38 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

After a lot of searching I found the new Postal Price Fan Folds for 2017. The first link has links to Canada, USA and International Fan Fold sheets

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/default-e.asp

The next three links are to the individual Fan Folds - in case you want to by-pass the link above. Hope these work for you. They have the new Light Packet Rates that just went into effect

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/Canada.pdf

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/US.pdf

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/International.pdf

Message 39 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

Progress, however:

(aka https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/FSA_RateCodeLookup-e.asp  )

still doesn't show the new values.......

Message 40 of 68
latest reply