Canada Post Rates 2017

Has anyone made a chart for the new mailing rates. Also on what date do the new rates start?

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Canada Post Rates 2017

Light packets to international destinations is now $10.10

so to ship a dvd  CD or thin book To

Germany

UK

France

Australia

Italy all of Europe and the rest of the world is crazy, who will buy these with shipping alone at $10.10

sorry but for me no more international sales on Light packets

sorry Canada Post

When buyers look for the lowest item and shipping price we will most likely be on the last page close to the end.

Plus since ebay & paypal charges a final value fee on shipping also your profit margin will be lower.

Message 41 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

@markiku wrote:

Light packets to international destinations is now $10.10

~

When buyers look for the lowest item and shipping price we will most likely be on the last page close to the end. 

Not necessarily.  Those last pages will be filled by GSP items with their $18-$22 USD to ship a single CD.  There's one good thing about that program, it makes Canadian items look a lot cheaper.   🙂  

Don't assume no one will pay your shipping fee.  I never cease to be amazed at the high salaries people are paid and this gives them a great deal of disposable spending money.  If you have the item they want, they'll buy it.  You can always move a bit of it to your item price to keep it under $10, and add your eBay and PP fees, plus your bit of extra insurance.  Every other seller is doing the same thing.  

Message 42 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

@markiku wrote:
... Plus since ebay & paypal charges a final value fee on shipping also your profit margin will be lower.

eBay FVF is charged on the domestic rate -- so if listed on .CA -- no fee increase.

PayPal would be an extra 6 cents (10.10-8.78= $1.32 x 3.9%)

Not a deal breaker for me.

I'll still list internationally, if a buyer wants to buy, the buyer wants to buy. Their choice, not mine.

-..-

Message 43 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

Here's a question:

USA buyer makes purchase Jan15 but doesn't pay.

Two days later, three, four... still unpaid.

In the meantime, postage rates increase.

Do they pay pre-increase postage rate? Or post-increase postage rate? What should their invoice reflect? Postage on day of purchase now five days ago? Or cost to place order today?

I'm curious. I can see it argued in both directions.

I've had instances in the past where they paid at 11 pm the final day of a rate and the label printed at 6 am was for a higher amount, and that's fine. It's not the fault of the buyer, a seller should absorb it in that case.

But this is a little different.
Message 44 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

That is an interesting question to consider (I hope for your sake it's hypothetical?). 

Since I use flat rate shipping, the shipping I charge is the shipping posted on the listing at the time of sale, even if it's paid a week later when the rates have gone up.  I don't even think twice about it. 

But I know you use calculated shipping -- would the buyer have seen an initial shipping amount when they processed the purchase?  If so, I suppose it depends on how keen you are to actually get paid and how peeved the buyer would be to see a higher shipping cost once they finally decide to pay, and end up getting back at you in other ways (FB, SNAD, whatever).  My inclination would be to give them the "old" rate.  But then I'm one of those people who, when shopping in a B&M store, expects to get the price on the tag, not the price the clerk says it should really be. Woman Very Happy

Or you might decide you can prompt them into payment by sending a personal message reminding them kindly to pay for their purchase and saying that although Canada Post rates have gone up this week, if they pay within the next 24 hours you will still give them the old rate.  (The kill-more-flies-with-honey method). 

Message 45 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

Personally, it you have fixed shipping price, you will probably be stuck with the old rate irregardless when they pay as you can't adjust after the fact.

If you have calculated shipping, they should pay the new rate because that is what calculates when they pay, I believe? I don't use calculated so not positive. Does the calculated rate display when purchased or when paid and does Ebay allow it to change if the prior?

It will be as most things with Ebay,  the seller's problem as buyer has to be kept happy

Bigger question is, do you want a happy buyer or a possible problem buyer? How much is the difference?

Message 46 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

It's only a buck or two difference, not enough that I'd lose sleep over it. But I strongly suspect the transaction will end in an UI so the debate may be purely academic.
Message 47 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

I see a problem - eBayers are no longer getting CP's "minimum online savings" rate.

Last month, I sent a couple of identical items to Europe via Small Packet Air Int. for $19.55 each. My eBay Seller Account->Shipping options was set to "Show Retail rate" only because there was no "show online rate" option - but it was actually the same as the "online minimum savings" price on canadapost.ca

As posted here, the other day, the CP prices shown in a listing's Shipping and payments tab changed.

For my same item, it now shows as $19.75 -- no problem, right? But on canadapost.ca, their Jan 2017 "show minimum online savings" prices indicate that my online cost for this item should be $19.46

That's only 29cents difference, not a big deal - but look at this: a <500g Tracked Packet to the UK was $46.54 in December, but eBay's updated Jan 2017 price is $51.91; but CP's Jan 2017 "miminum online savings" price CAME DOWN, and is now $39.50!!

For Xpresspost or other services that have a full value insurance coverage option, the eBay rate includes full value insurance coverage. But the Jan 2017 eBay price for my same item to the UK is $76.45 while the CP Jan 2017 "minimum online savings" price is $75.76.

I have a CP Small Business account so as the Tracked Packet price is very attractive, I could use a credit card to pay for my CP-printed postage online and enjoy the huge savings. But I'd rather just the PayPal and continue to create labels with the ease that I enjoyed last month. And be able to offer international buyers cheaper tracked shipping.

Is eBay/PayPal using the wrong price? Should we not be getting CP's minimum online savings?

Message 48 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

@racefan_dan wrote:
Is eBay/PayPal using the wrong price? Should we not be getting CP's minimum online savings?

eBay / PayPal get the rate that their agreement with Canada Post specifies.

Seems Canada Post is getting aggresive this year in pushing their own website (cutting out the middle man).

Small Packet USA now gets an online discount making it cheaper than paypal which uses the over-the-counter rate with no discount.

Over-the-counter vs Canada Post online basic discount for

Small Packet USA
000-250g ..  8.61 vs 8.49  -- save 12 cents
251-500g .. 11.29 vs 11.15 -- save 14 cents
501g-1kg .. 16.82 vs 16.60 -- save 22 cents

Now I'll have to check both sites before shipping.

Although I'll lean towards paypal since that's customer money awaiting use versus an interest charging credit card.

-..-

Message 49 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

Thanks for this information!  I don't generally use the CP website because I found it so convoluted and far too "messy" as a user, but I may decide to change my habits if this keeps up.  A penny saved...

By the way, do you know if there's a simple way of comparing the actual rates between eBay and CP without going through all the rigmarole of a faux shipping label?

Message 50 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

@rose-dee wrote:

Thanks for this information!  I don't generally use the CP website because I found it so convoluted and far too "messy" as a user, but I may decide to change my habits if this keeps up.  A penny saved...

By the way, do you know if there's a simple way of comparing the actual rates between eBay and CP without going through all the rigmarole of a faux shipping label?

Simple and eBay and/or CP just does not exist. Smiley Wink

Message 51 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

@racefan_dan wrote:

I see a problem - eBayers are no longer getting CP's "minimum online savings" rate.

Last month, I sent a couple of identical items to Europe via Small Packet Air Int. for $19.55 each. My eBay Seller Account->Shipping options was set to "Show Retail rate" only because there was no "show online rate" option - but it was actually the same as the "online minimum savings" price on canadapost.ca

As posted here, the other day, the CP prices shown in a listing's Shipping and payments tab changed.

For my same item, it now shows as $19.75 -- no problem, right? But on canadapost.ca, their Jan 2017 "show minimum online savings" prices indicate that my online cost for this item should be $19.46

That's only 29cents difference, not a big deal - but look at this: a <500g Tracked Packet to the UK was $46.54 in December, but eBay's updated Jan 2017 price is $51.91; but CP's Jan 2017 "miminum online savings" price CAME DOWN, and is now $39.50!!

For Xpresspost or other services that have a full value insurance coverage option, the eBay rate includes full value insurance coverage. But the Jan 2017 eBay price for my same item to the UK is $76.45 while the CP Jan 2017 "minimum online savings" price is $75.76.

I have a CP Small Business account so as the Tracked Packet price is very attractive, I could use a credit card to pay for my CP-printed postage online and enjoy the huge savings. But I'd rather just the PayPal and continue to create labels with the ease that I enjoyed last month. And be able to offer international buyers cheaper tracked shipping.

PayPal/eBay has never given a discount for small packet to light packet and up u till recently, CP was the same  although in the past year or 2(?) they have given a small discount for small packet if you had specific volumes.  

Hopefully eBay's working on passing that small packet discount to us.  

But the rates that you are seeing on eBay for expedited parcel, tracked packet and xpresspost are counter rates,not the rates that you would be paying if you purchased your shipping through eBay. The eBay rates are less expensive although it looks like in some cases the CP min. savings rates may be less especially for some of the international services. 

If you are using calculated shipping and want to charge your customer less than the counter rate and closer to what you pay, you can set up a discount in your preferences although it will not be exact.

Message 52 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@racefan_dan wrote:

Seems Canada Post is getting aggresive this year in pushing their own website (cutting out the middle man).

Small Packet USA now gets an online discount making it cheaper than paypal which uses the over-the-counter rate with no discount.

Small Packet USA

Although I'll lean towards paypal since that's customer money awaiting use versus an interest charging credit card.

-..-

How do you check for the small savings? Is it via ESP online? I logged into my ventureONE account but when I tried to make a shipping label via ESP (which I have never done before) I get this error message "(6030) The Mailed By Customer Number is invalid. Please contact the Credit Management Group at 1-800-267-7651." Is the online basic account different from ventureONE account?

Message 53 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

@zee-chan wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@racefan_dan wrote:

Small Packet USA

-..-

How do you check for the small savings? Is it via ESP online? I logged into my ventureONE account but when I tried to make a shipping label via ESP (which I have never done before) I get this error message "(6030) The Mailed By Customer Number is invalid. Please contact the Credit Management Group at 1-800-267-7651." Is the online basic account different from ventureONE account?

You use the online calculator.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

When it displays rates for your selection click on the "Show minimum online savings" (located just under Item Details and above You have xx choices).

Tip: Click on Edit details if you want to see what differences weight/dimensionschanges make to the cost rather than "Find Another Rate" (which requires you to reenter all the info again).

ventureOne was rebranded as Solutions for Small Business 2 years ago.  I couldn't remember my ventureONE details so I just registered for SfSB when I started using EST (after the paypal shipping back door was closed in July of 2015).

-..-

Message 54 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

you also have to consider that once the Canadian dollar gets stronger against the US greenback

and it will eventually get there, the US prices will be more once converted on the ads.

Also anyone claiming item not received and with no tracking , once you fully refund them that shipping is coming out of your pocket 

especially after Christmas these cases are on the rise,

don`t forget to Block Russia I think they are blocking mail or backlogged  due to the USA sending the Russians back home.  

Message 55 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

Has anyone else notice a huge increase in Canada Post rates for packages shipped within Canada?  Most of my stuff goes international but occasionally I have Canadian packages to ship.

Smallish packages from Toronto to Montreal used to cost me around $8, today it was nearly $11 for a tiny package.  That's nearly a 40% jump in price from last year.

Message 56 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

Did you follow the new instruction from eBay to print postage via PayPal shipping DIRECTLY FROM EBAY and the Sales Record and not viaPayPal directly? There was an announcement about it a few weeks ago.
Message 57 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

Also, if you're using the new PayPal view, it defaults to xpresspost first.
Message 58 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

I just take my packages directly to my local Post Office.  Don't go through ebay or paypal; don't print labels.  

I also noticed last week that a package I sent to Alberta, that last year would have cost me around $14 to $15 was nearly $17.  From my point of view CP's rates for packages shipped within Canada went way up in January.  International package rates barely changed at all, most going up about 25 cents.  But the within Canada rates seem to have taken a big jump.

Message 59 of 68
latest reply

Canada Post Rates 2017

If you forgo the PayPal shipping postage purchase, you're losing an 18 per cent discount on Expedited.

Are you a CPC Solutions for Small Business (formerly VentureOne) Program member? That discount is re-evaluated quarterly based on usage so you may have moved into a lesser discount bracket.
Message 60 of 68
latest reply