Canada Post Shipping Fees - Add on On Expedited Parcel

Do any of you have noticed a surcharge of between $1.50 to 3.00 to all Canada Post Expedited Parcel shipping label on Ebay...let me explain. An extra charge appear after the package got delivered. I have talk to ebay and Canada Post is charging ebay for unknown reason...and it is not an error on dimension nor weight of the package. Ebay does not know what those extra charge are for as Canada Post never provided a reason for them. Again...I've been on ebay for awhile and I know how to ship items according to the rule...my parcels dimensions and weigh are spot on. Keep an eye on this and ebay rep. is bringing the case up to chain of command. Sadly Regular Parcel option seems to have dispeared from the list of service available. The only logic expalaination is that ebay is giving us a % rebate higher on shipping that Canada Post as agreed on or aware of. I will contact Canada Post tomorrow. Regards;Screenshot 2024-01-18 184923 copy.jpg

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Canada Post Shipping Fees - Add on On Expedited Parcel

I took a look through my labels and didn't see any extra charges at all. Are you adding insurance or a signature to your packages? Maybe it has something to do with that if you are? 

The only other reason for an additional charge should be with regards to size or weight. Just to make sure, you are ACTUALLY taking a ruler and measuring and weighing the packages and rounding up, right? Always do so in cm and g / kg also, not inches or pounds.  I know you say you're highly experienced (and you do appear to be), but the question is still worth asking.  I've seen plenty of experienced shippers make misakes like that.  If you drop your items off at the post office, maybe ask them to measure a few and see if their measurements and weights agree with yours.

The one thing interesting that I DID notice was that the price I paid on the labels was sometimes slightly off from what I was quoted, usually around the weekends. I'm thinking we might be getting charged based on the fuel surcharge that's in place on the day we're actually billed for the label and NOT the day we create it. That doesn't lead to an additional line charge though, I just thought it was interesting.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I'm having this exact issue.  We only use regular parcel post, and that's what on our listing.  But when the item is sold, only expidited shows up as the way to mail.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

"Regular" parcel rate is available for the general public at any CP outlet, but perhaps eBay is promoting the discounted rates for "expedited" on eBay because that is the shipping method designated for "businesses" and on eBay, sellers are classed as a business. "expedited" is also designated as a "speedier" service than regular parcel.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

"Regular" parcel rate is available for the general public at any CP outlet, but perhaps eBay is promoting the discounted rates for "expedited" on eBay because that is the shipping method designated for "businesses" and on eBay, sellers are classed as a business. "expedited" is also designated as a "speedier" service than regular parcel.

In some cases expedited can be slightly more expensive due to the fuel charge rate and taxes on total. Why some sellers may still prefer to ship regular. I believe up until several years ago the 2 services mirrored each other cost wise with a level 1 discount.  I've personally always shipped expedited because of the inconsistencies of regular service.

-Lotz

PS. You can see a substantial difference between the 2 services if your item is going to either a beyond point or 1 routed through an air stage office.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

In some cases expedited can be slightly more expensive due to the fuel charge rate ...

No. The fuel surcharge percentage is the same for both.

The difference in price between expedited and regular parcel is caused by the volumetric calculation.

Length x Width x Depth in cms -- Expedited divides by 5000, Regular divides by 6000 to get the volumetric weight in kg.

For example: for a 30x30x30cm box volumetric weight would be 5.4kg expedited or 4.5kg regular. If the contents weighted 3kg then expedited would cost more. If the actual weight was 6kg the price would be the same for both.

Expedited does include the first $100 of insurance for free.

-;-

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

In some cases expedited can be slightly more expensive due to the fuel charge rate ...

No. The fuel surcharge percentage is the same for both.

The difference in price between expedited and regular parcel is caused by the volumetric calculation.

Length x Width x Depth in cms -- Expedited divides by 5000, Regular divides by 6000 to get the volumetric weight in kg.

For example: for a 30x30x30cm box volumetric weight would be 5.4kg expedited or 4.5kg regular. If the contents weighted 3kg then expedited would cost more. If the actual weight was 6kg the price would be the same for both.

Expedited does include the first $100 of insurance for free.

-;-

That would be fine accept sellers who specify Regular  only can no longer use because it is no longer included when they go to print their label. If volumetric weight gets applied and it costs more they would be out the difference that the seller would/could be out.

Also the price is slightly higher for Air Stage offices expedited compared to regular (had 1 to an air stage office in Ontario a few months ago)  without cubing being applied. As a seller you will only see the regular because that is what you have offered. As a matter of habit I offer both. Majority of customers will choose expedited for the speed but no guarantee. 

-Lotz

Message 7 of 7
latest reply