Canada Post Small Packet Form CN22

Just sent off a package to the USA today and had the correct small packet form

CN22 filled out as usual.  No problem.  There has been an option to fill these out

on line for quite a while, as well as using the form.  The Postal Clerk advised that as

of September 15/2021 the form CN22 will no longer be accepted and the online

version will have to be used.  

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Canada Post Small Packet Form CN22

Lucky you, my postal outlet has made me do it online for almost a year..

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I also thought that it was mandatory for the last year.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

My outlet manager has told me the reason they were encouraging the online

method (prior to the Sept. 21 Mandatory Deadline) is that customers were arriving

at the outlet and did not have this form and wanted the postal clerk to help them

fill it out (instead of taking a bunch home and having them ready) thus, line-ups and

people waiting and more work for the postal clerks.

The online was not mandatory but I gather some postal outlets were

not telling the customers that and asking them to go online.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Considering our post office only allows three people inside (two counter clerks) and the desk for forms is right inside the door where customers line up, I can see why this is necessary.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

This is not accurate and there is no mandatory deadline. You can still use the paper forms if you wish. If any post office is telling  you otherwise then they are just being difficult. Canada Post strongly encourages you to use the online form, but regularly sends us memos reminding us that it is not a requirement.

The information still gets electronically added to the label if you use a paper form. It's just an added step for the clerk because they have to manually type all the info from the paper customs form into the fields on the computer.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Well,  in my postal outlet there is a sign from Canada Post on the counter advising

that as of Sept. 15/21 these forms will no longer be accepted and must be filled out

onlne. The postal clerk/manager confirmed this.

So, as there has been different messages in the past with different postal outlets

I would suggest you check with yours.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@15westcoast wrote:

Well,  in my postal outlet there is a sign from Canada Post on the counter advising

that as of Sept. 15/21 these forms will no longer be accepted and must be filled out

onlne. The postal clerk/manager confirmed this.

So, as there has been different messages in the past with different postal outlets

I would suggest you check with yours.

I work at a postal outlet; have for the past five years. There has been no word from Canada Post on this matter. They can't just completely stop accepting the paper customs forms as there are many people who don't have the means to complete it electronically (namely, the elderly).

I don't know why your postal outlet has a sign up. Maybe the manager typed it up themselves because they don't want to deal with paper forms any longer? The only other thing I can think of is that your outlet is a test location by Canada Post for electronic-only processing. I wasn't aware that was a thing, but who knows.

I would bring this up with Canada Post directly - call or chat with them on the website and see what they say.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

This is why Canada Post has all the problems that they do !  I also agree with you

that there are many people that do not have a computer, so what are they going

to do other than ask the postal clerk for help.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply