Highlighted
Community Member
Accepted Solution

Canadian sellers know that on a low priced item that it is unlikely to sell with tracking cost

[ Edited ]

There is a person in Mount Ulla NC that has been buying from Canadian sellers that cannot afford to put tracking on their items. This is because the item is low cost and will not sell if there is going to be a $12.95 tracking charge added to the cost. The buyer has been targeting Canadian sellers that do not use tracking for the above reason. This person has said that 8 packages never arrived and I think the number is more likely quite a bit higher. The sellers including myself were made to refund this person their money , we all reported this to ebay but for some reason it took months to do what ever they do. Which amounts to very little in my eyes. I am recommending that Canadain sellers do not sell to American buyers unless they are well known and good people. I know that a package can get lost but I also know that 8 packages do not get lost they get ripped off. This has sadly taken money from decent people that work hard to suppy a great service to eBay customers. the sad part is that most people leave feedback immediately after the sale is done. I suggest do not fill in anything until you know for sure it is not another type who takes and takes and has no intention of buying anything that has tracking on it. eBay will not allow us to change feedback that was left , and of course the artist does not put in any feedback to anyone so a negative will never show on his site unless he leaves feedback that a person can respond to. Be very wary of new start ups because once they are found out they start another one under an assumed name and do it all over again. eBay can only do so much they told me . but his site is still up and running as far as I know. DO NOT SELL to this person . People like this have no ethics or give a darn about you or I the seller. I am not selling to anyone unless thier established , and I suggest you do the same. There are lots of good people out there pick and choose your sales carefully and if you feel uncormfortable. Ask the buyer to pay for tracking . The coin I was taken from me was a high grade 1961 sealed Franklin half dollar!If he wants the item bad enough he will pay the high Canadian cost of tracking. thank you lambarcl

Community Member

Re: Canadian sellers know that on a low priced item that it is unlikely to sell with tracking cost

[ Edited ]
in reply to lambarcl

That is a wall of text and hard to read.

You had a customer who purchased 8 items from you.

He reported that none of the eight arrived.

Without tracking you were required to refund him.

We've all been there and you have our sympathies.

Now.

Your products appear to be low cost numismatic and sportcard items.

Did the buyer purchase eight separate items on eight separate occasions?

Or were they purchased together and did you ship them together?

What was the total value?

If for example you had eight $5 items with free shipping, thinking that you could ship for $1.20 LetterPost and still make money, then you had $9.60 of his payment available to offset the $12 cost of tracked shipping.

Still a loss, but not a $40 loss.

And it could be covered by using Cookie Jar Insurance.

Ask the buyer to pay for tracking . ....If he wants the item bad enough he will pay the high Canadian cost of tracking.

The seller controls shipping.

Free Shipping means that the cost of shipping is included in the price of the item.

• Which is cheaper : a $5 item with $1.00 shipping or a $6 item with Free Shipping?

You cannot charge the buyer more for shipping than you advertise.

Which means you cannot ask after purchase for more money to cover tracking.

We also cannot name and shame other members on these Boards.

It might be helpful to other sellers, in the long run, if you phone the Post Master in Mount Ulla and discuss the problem with her.

I got one phone number from Google Maps, , but you may want to decide which of the two POs is closer to your customer's address.

If the customer is right, someone is stealing mail. The PostMaster will want to know about it.

If you are right, the customer is committing mail fraud and the PostMaster will want to know about it.

Be polite. You are trying to solve HER problem not yours.

Community Member

Re: Canadian sellers know that on a low priced item that it is unlikely to sell with tracking cost

in reply to reallynicestamps

No he did this to 8 buyers that I am aware of, and I have good reason to think that there were more then the 8 in total that's including the 1 package that I sent to him. I have been thinking of different ways of trying to get in touch but of course the email address is a phony address . So I think if the email is no good then it is likely that this was a con game from the beginning. thank you for your reply. Marshall

Community Member

thank you for the info , do you know how I can edit the message to remove the persons name ? Marshall

Community Member

in reply to lambarcl

but of course the email address is a phony address .

Good.

You can Report him for incorrect contact information. EBay does not allow that.

You can self-report your post, but really the worst that would happen (the first time) is a 'pinkslap', which is just a grumpy note from the Board Moderators.

Don't do it again though.

Of course you are angry about your loss.

I'm glad to hear it was only one piece on your part.

Now think about how much money you actually lost. Not how much it sold for, but your costs. Procurement, fees and postage.

I see a similar item at around $14-15. Not pleasant, but I hope not a budget breaker.

Now let me tell you the Good News about Cookie Jar Insurance.

This is self-insurance.

You add a small amount, rarely more than a dime to each asking price and toss those virtual pennies into  virtual Cookie Jar.

If you get a Claim --or better, when a customer reports a problem-- you pay the costs out of the Cookie Jar.

The Cookie Jar takes the place of tracking and of insurance.

It covers problems that neither of those will-- like an item broken due to inadequate packing.

When faced with an Item Not Received query, you can refund the buyer, who may well be right, and add a note telling him that when the item arrives, he can return the refund using Paypal's Send Money service. Most will in my experience.

If you can encourage the other eight sellers to phone the Post Masters in his small town, he may be getting a visit from the USPS Postal Inspectors. Those guys have a rep.

Community Member

I have notified some of the others to file a fraud inspection with USPS inspection department. I do not care about the single loss to me maybe was 20 dollars.The problem here is that eBay had been warned prior to my sale to the crook , and they had more then enough complaints prior to mine to put a stop to this. How many people do the let get ripped off before they do anything 3 ,5 10 well that's what is was. In approx. 3500 packages mailed out or to me ,  I never had a loss in the post office . The postal people have been excellent. Another issue is that eBay looks at the feedback that a seller puts out after the sale has taken place . The feedback should be for when everything is finalized , and then they should make their decision on that seeing how they will not allow anyone to update or change feedback. When I re-open after re-orqanization , I will not post any feedback until the sell is finalized , unless it is a customer with good standings and has been on eBay for a while.  They had numerous complaints prior to my sell but did not seem to care enough and let it happen anyway. That is a problem that needs to be changed somehow. I only contacted the Canadians that never tracked their packages , and every single one of them was ripped off , and was made to refund the crook. So you can think what you want about people being angry about a loss. It not just about the loss ,  it is eBays reluctance to do squat. The other thing it is just not a 20 dollar loss . How many more low priced  items  does a seller have to sell  to recoup their money. A person has to sell 3 maybe 4 to get his loss back so it is not a 20 dollar loss it is also the money you would have had from the other sales now goes to cover the ripoff. So there is a lot more to this then you make it out to be. I want you to know I do appreciate your feedback on this issue. I am hoping that the postal inspectors do catch this person , and charge him with International mail fraud. On a positive note eBay said they would work with any law enforcement agency , and as far as I know the postal inspectors have full lawful jurisdiction when it comes to these types of issues. Thanks again for you input ,I do appreciate your time and suggestions to make things better for everyone involved. M 

Community Member

in reply to lambarcl

Another issue is that eBay looks at the feedback that a seller puts out after the sale has taken place .

EBay does not use feedback as a metric.

Less than 40% of transactions get any feedback, and most of that is left by sellers.

I only contacted the Canadians that never tracked their packages , and every single one of them was ripped off , and was made to refund the crook.

Every loss is painful.

This is why I promote Cookie Jar Insurance (self-insurance) so strongly.

I ship without tracking partly because I am in very trustworthy categories, but also because I have a few pennies from every sale in a virtual Cookie Jar for the very occasional problem. Some of which are my error, btw. Most of us who use CJI actually make a little bit on it, just like a real insurance company.

I am hoping that the postal inspectors do catch this person , and charge him with International mail fraud.

You are not alone in that.

Community Member

in reply to lambarcl

It is one of many reasons we have to use mail service with tracking number even to International countries to protect ourselves.

If the buyers balk at the rates for the mail service with tracking number, thy don't have to buy!

Community Member

in reply to honeybed1950

Yes your absolutely correct. I have a fair good following and the people I trust I will do the cheap shipping . We are re-organizing right now to reopen next year again. thank you for your advice . I appreciate the time you took to point that out again to me. So it looks like it is going to be tracked or forget it to the US . I do not sell to any other countries . Had enough of the bull that comes with it. Take Care good luck with your sales . thanks Marshall