Canadian shipping from the US

I live close to the US border, so I could ship directly from there. It would be cheaper for American customers. But I’m worried about custom. When crossing the border, sometimes they ask if we’re going to ship something. Is there regulations for Canadians shipping from the US? I tried to Google it but it didn’t work.
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

hlmacdon
Community Member

@aristiana wrote:
I live close to the US border, so I could ship directly from there. It would be cheaper for American customers. But I’m worried about custom. When crossing the border, sometimes they ask if we’re going to ship something. Is there regulations for Canadians shipping from the US? I tried to Google it but it didn’t work.

Short answer yes, long answer review some of my posts on the subject along with those from others. 

There are precise procedures you need to follow, fees to be able to do so, and the possibility of getting permanently barred if you don't follow procedures. Things are stricter and more controlled these days so do your research ahead of time before you show up at the border with product. If you have questions you contact CBP ahead of time. You are performing a commercial importation of product into the country at that point, regardless if you sell as a business or as a side hobby, and the standards are much higher than what you may be familiar with from casually bringing personal goods across the border. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Try searching this board, there are a number of old threads that explain the process of crossing the border with commercial goods.

There is paperwork that you must do, if you follow the procedures you won't have any problems, if you just try to casually cross the border without the proper documentation you will have no end of problems.

Here is one link to get you started.....

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/IF-you-are-taking-your-stuff-across-the-US-border-to-mai...

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

hlmacdon
Community Member

@aristiana wrote:

Short answer yes, long answer review some of my posts on the subject along with those from others. 

There are precise procedures you need to follow, fees to be able to do so, and the possibility of getting permanently barred if you don't follow procedures. Things are stricter and more controlled these days so do your research ahead of time before you show up at the border with product. If you have questions you contact CBP ahead of time. You are performing a commercial importation of product into the country at that point, regardless if you sell as a business or as a side hobby, and the standards are much higher than what you may be familiar with from casually bringing personal goods across the border. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply