Cancel or ship? WWYD?

I have an item that is B-i-N with "free" shipping to destinations in the USA and Canada. Overseas shipping is extra.

A buyer with a confirmed address in the USA does a buy-it-now.  According to his ebay profile, he's been an ebay member since 2007 in Brazil.

Three minutes later he sends me a message saying he gave me the wrong address and wants me to ship to Brazil instead.  According to my auction, the shipping to Brazil is $9 more on top of the $39 purchase.

One response I am considering is to instruct the buyer to request a cancellation, then after he changes his address in his profile, re-purchase the item.  That will automatically add the $9 shipping.

Another response is that I send him a message telling him he has to send me an extra $9 manually through PP since we now have each other's emails.

What would you do?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Cancel or ship? WWYD?

Keep in mind that you can cancel due to problem with address, if you don't stretch this too long.

Politely tell the customer that shipping to Brazil, as noted in your listing is $9.00.

Tell him to change the address in his Paypal to the Brazil address.

That should change the invoice to include the overseas shipping. If not you can send him a money request via Paypal.

Keep in mind that you can cancel due to problem with address, if you don't stretch this too long.

I suspect this is a scam, because if you send to an address that isn't in eBay or PP, you lose your already minimal Seller Protection.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

First, I'd check to see if the item was on the naughty or nice list for Brazil customs:

https://www.canadapost.ca/common/tools/pg/manual/PGIntDestDetails-e.asp?table=tblCountry&txtLetter=B...

I would pick either one of your choices based on the buyers feedback (particularly feedback left for sellers) and on the type of item being sold (risk of theft).

-..-

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

cancel..he lied to you. He can not change the shipping address.

Therefore you ship to whatever address is registered....so he has a confirmed adress in the USA..thats where you ship it...period. If he wants to pay extra $ to ship it to brazil..thats fine. You are not obligated to ship to brazil for free ...only the registered USA address.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

If this was a request from a repeat customer, I would handle it differently than from a first-timer with me. 

As this is a first-time purchase from this buyer for you, I'd play it by the books. Cancel due to Problem with the Buyer Address and instruct the buyer to change his address and purchase it again. 

That is, if you want to ship to Brazil without tracking. I highly suspect you will be kissing both your payment and item goodbye. I use only Tracked Packet to Brazil. 

Good luck.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

It can be a shock to see what Tracked shipping is overseas.

I sent a parcel to Australia yesterday(27x13x16 / 1053gr) and https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1 gave the cost* as $78.87.

I hope you have a digital scale and a measuring tape.

They are invaluable when setting postage costs for customers.

Tell Santa there are good Starfrit scales available at Canadian Tire for $20 or so.

*The actual cost was lower because I used my Small Business Solutions card ($73.37) and since I have a reallynice source of discount mint postage stamps my actual cost was even lower.

The postie in Australia will remember the package.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Cancel due to Problem with the Buyer Address and instruct the buyer to change his address and purchase it again. 

That is, if you want to ship to Brazil without tracking.

That is what I did.  I will report back the buyer's response.

I don't have problems shipping to countries like Brazil without tracking.  Maybe the type of things I sell aren't attractive to scammers.  I sell almost exclusively auto parts for a car that hasn't been made for decades.  And then, I try to find parts that no one else has so I don't have to join in on the race to the basement to try to earn a few nickles per sale.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@a52split wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Cancel due to Problem with the Buyer Address and instruct the buyer to change his address and purchase it again. 

That is, if you want to ship to Brazil without tracking.

That is what I did.  I will report back the buyer's response.

I don't have problems shipping to countries like Brazil without tracking.  Maybe the type of things I sell aren't attractive to scammers.  I sell almost exclusively auto parts for a car that hasn't been made for decades.  And then, I try to find parts that no one else has so I don't have to join in on the race to the basement to try to earn a few nickles per sale.

Cancelling and making the buyer repay was pointless if you are shipping without tracking, all you needed to do was have them send the extra money for shipping to Brazil rather than the US.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply