Caught in eBay Unable To Send Micropayments Loop. HELP PLEASE

pmacd
Community Member

I live in Canada and have been a memeber since '98.  I set up then on .com in US$ and am still set up that way.  

I sold recently for the first time in years and everthing went fine.  Then I started getting messages that my payment was frozen and that I needed to provide banking information.  So, I created an account in US$ at my local branch of a Canadian bank.  I populated the required eBay screen with all of the banking info and was told that they would send 2 micro pmts to the account.  Then I would be required to go back into eBay to confirm receipt of those micro pmts and that would be it.

I then got this message: "We were not able to send microdeposits to your bank account. Please provide a different bank account. We use this information to verify your bank account by sending you 2 microdeposits over the next 1-3 business days. Once you confirm these amounts with us, your bank account will be verified for payouts."

When I click on the link in their email,  it brings me to the page where I'm asked to confirm receipt of the micro payments they say that they've sent!!  A check of my US bank account shows no payments from eBay at all.

There's no explanation as to the reason they are not able to send the micropaymants.  There's nothing wrong with this bank account so why do I now have to provide another account??

Can someone please help me!  Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Caught in eBay Unable To Send Micropayments Loop. HELP PLEASE

Are you trying to set up your bank account while signed into  .com or on .ca.  In it is on .com you should try on .ca.  Your managed payment has to be on .ca since you are in Canada. New sellers have to register on .ca and set up their bank accounts on this site. They should have the option of setting up the account in $C or $US dollars but it can't be changed once that's been done.  Sellers registered on .ca can still sell on either site.

Some of the sellers that like you who had registered on .com before .ca existed were able to set up managed payments on .ca and not start a new ID but some of them gave up and started new ID's. I honestly don't know how they did it as it was all really confusing and didn't seem to be consistent.

You might want to contact customer service although it might take a while to actually talk to someone who knows what to do.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@pmacd 

What bank were you trying to use?

Also confirm, this US Dollar account is a checking account? The name on the account is an EXACT match for your eBay registered name?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the reply.

The big problem here is that they tell you that they are unable to send micro depostis to your account yet they don't tell you what the problem(s) is/are.   They let you try and figure that out on your own.

I just went on .CA and it shows my banking information as provided by me.  

There was a middle intial difference between eBay info and my bank that I've since corrected.

The account that I opened is titled in part "eSavings" but I believe that I can write a cheque on it.  I will check with my branch ASAP.  If I can write a cheque on it, is that acceptable?  

If I do have to open an account that is a true US chequing account, I will incur a $3US/month fee (no Srs discount) and since I'm a VERY sparodic seller, it's not worth it to me to pay the fee.  

I notice that on .CA if I try to add a new bank account, it only gives me the option of dealing through Trustly - no microdeposits option.  I go on line and the 1 * reviews outnumber the others by a WIDE margin.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the reply.

The account that I opened is entitled in part "eSavings" but I think that I may be able to write cheques on it.  I'll check with my branch ASAP.

I did have an initial difference in the names.  I corrected that.

If I do have to open an account that is a true US chequing account, I will incur a $3US/month fee (no Srs discount) and since I'm a VERY sparodic seller, it's not worth it to me to pay the fee.  

I notice that on .CA if I try to add a new bank account, it only gives me the option of dealing through Trustly - no microdeposits option.  I go on line and the 1 * reviews outnumber the others by a WIDE margin.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

"There was a middle intial difference between eBay info and my bank that I've since corrected."

It may have been this middle initial difference that caused, I've read here several times about the name information having to be EXACT. If you've changed that hopefully it works for you.

Also, I can't remember what all was involved in the change over to Managed Payments, but if you haven't sold in many years make sure all Managed Payments info has been set up also, payment info, frequency, etc.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@pmacd wrote:

The account that I opened is entitled in part "eSavings" but I think that I may be able to write

I’m not sure what you mean by a “true US checking account.” Yes, the account has to be a checking/chequing account and it has to be in US dollars, but it has to be with a Canadian bank operating on Canadian soil. Do not get steered into opening a checking account with a US-based operation of a Canadian financial institution, e.g. RBC Bank.

@pmacd wrote:

This makes it sound as though you’re registering on the .com site which @pjcdn2005 advised you not to do. I don’t think the .com site is set up to handle Canadian account numbers. Is your bank account on US soil then?

Strange how Trustly pops up for you. It didn’t for me when I attempted (for 💩 and giggles) to register my free US dollar chequing account from my credit union a few years back. Of course you’re going to see almost nothing but negative reviews of it; people don’t tend to go out of their way to post reviews of things that are working the way they expect them to work. I remember when PayPal started becoming a thing. The eBay.com discussion boards were filled with nothing but posts from users who had difficulties with the service or who felt they had been scammed by it in one way or another. Yet there must have been people who were using it without issues, otherwise it wouldn’t have become the pretty big deal it is now.

Disclaimer:  I haven't used Trustly myself.  What little I've found out about it so far suggests that it's a Swedish financial tech company that's used pretty extensively internationally.  Even PayPal uses it.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

There may have been a difference in the micropayments because of changing currency exchange rates.

Try confirming another way.
I used my passport and DH used his driving license. No need to use your SIN, although I believe eBay still gives that as a possibility.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply