Combined Shipping Discount Issue

Hello everyone! 

I would like to provide a shipping discount for the United States and Canadian buyers. My base shipping price for these countries is $5.95 and each additional item that a customer purchases is $2 for shipping. I have applied my rule and it works out, but there's a problem with the International shipping discount. 

For international customers outside of North America, they get charged a base price of $9.95 for shipping and the additional shipping discount is also $2. I don't want this to happen and I'd like to keep the additional shipping cost for international buyers the same cost of $9.95. 

I have attached a screenshot of my shipping information on my listing.

Is there any way to add profiles to specific territories? For example, a profile for the additional shipping cost for Canada, and then another profile for the additional shipping cost for International? 

Because at the moment, International buyers can purchase an item from me with shipping costing them $9.95, and if they purchase a second item it will only cost $2 for shipping.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I'm going to venture to say: probably not.

I have found, personally, that the combined shipping 'rules' we are given to work with are limited in terms of capacity to alter and manipulate specific things and are not able to understand the difference in cost between combining shipment for USA versus UK, for example.

What I ended up doing is abandoning flat-rate altogether in favour for calculated shipping. If you know the weight and dimension of your objects, you can't go wrong with that. It's a lot of work on the front-end to get it set up right, though. Once it is, smooth sailing.

Another seller may be better able to answer your question.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Wait, are you listing on ebay.com? Or ebay.ca?

If you're listing on ebay.com and ship from Canada, you can only use flat-rate while on ebay.ca you will have the option to choose Calculated shipping.

You are able to set up different profiles like Domestic Rule and International Rule but I'm not clear on how you would apply them to an ebay.com listing since my listings are all created on ebay.ca. As a result, I'm not the best member to answer your question. 

If you're looking for a 'do I list on ebay.com versus ebay.ca' discussion, I'm sure the Community can accommodate that too. There are pros and cons to each which are regularly discussed here. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I don't know enough about setting up shipping discounts to answer your question although I suspect that MJ is corect. I was wondering about one statement that you said.

Because at the moment, International buyers can purchase an item from me with shipping costing them $9.95, and if they purchase a second item it will only cost $2 for shipping.

Your screenshot says that the charge for the second international item is $9.95. Perhaps the screenshot is just showing how you want it to look, not how it actually looks after you set up the discounts?

Another comment....According to your screenshot you are listing on .com but are you actually shipping from the U.S.? If you are shipping from Canada and using CP you shouldn't be saying that you are using USPS. There is an area in the shipping section on .com for a non specific service 'shipping from outside of the U.S. '  That's the best thing to use if you are using non U.S. services.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

No that is a real screenshot of one of my listings. Despite having the $9.95 shipping cost for an additional item for International customers, they still get charged only $2. This is because the International portion is lumped with the Canadian shipping options, and the profile rule applies to both territories. This is why I was asking if it was possible to create separate profiles for specific territories. I have tested the shipping options out (the exact way its listed on the screenshot) and International customers still get charged only $2 for additional items.

I also do not reside in the U.S. and the reason why I'm listing from the .COM website is because the majority of my products ship out from the U.S. Also, I like the listing layout of the .COM website more than the .CA website. 

Anyways, I have also fixed this issue my way by now offering free shipping to customers in the U.S. and Canada and I have decided to just add the shipping cost to the purchase price of the products.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

"because the majority of my products ship out from the U.S."

If so, your listing should show USA as the location of the item, not "Toronto, Ontario, Canada".

Message 6 of 6
latest reply