Combined Shipping Not Possible

I've had several buyers tell me they couldn't use the combined shipping feature, as their purchases would not go through without them paying. As I do NOT have an immediate payment setting on any item in my store, I enquired further and found that this is an issue with some mobile apps. I advised the buyers to use a PC to shop, but it is inconvenient for them.

Now I have a buyer telling me she can't even add items to her cart on her PC without paying for them individually, here's her exact words:

"Very frustrated, here. I am wanting to purchase multiple items from you, but cannot for the life of me get ebay to drop each chosen item into ONE invoice so I am not charged full shipping charges for each individually invoiced item. They used to have a dedicated button for this. Now there is a select for "add to cart" but when I click it, it doesn't do anything but take me to a page that tells me that there is nothing in my cart... ??? 
Help please? How do I do purchase multiple items from you on one invoice with ONE combined shipping charge?"

We found no way round this, so she purchased them individually and I refunded her the difference, but surely there's a bug here somewhere? Anyone know?

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

"We found no way round this,"

There is a way.

A buyer could send you a list by email of all items wanted.

You then arrange for a fixed price listing for all those items one price; one shipping charge - the buyer buys - the buyer pays - you ship.

The alternative (not recommended) is to add up the value of all items in the list and send a PayPal invoice including one shipping charge. The buyer pays, you ship.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Except that if you use the word invoice (and several others) in a message the algorithm won't allow the message to be sent. I've tried offering custom orders like that before, to enable a discount on a large multiple purchase, but you end up having to deliberately spell words strangely. eBay are so worried about "outside sales" the machines are spying on our private messages.

But that's not the point really, is it. something's not working right. We shouldn't need to go to all that just to offer a combined shipping which is part of their system!

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

"something's not working right.'

I agree with you since many of my customers (collectors) over the years have been purchasing a large number of items per transaction.

However, eBay is more concerned to satisfy its newest, largest sellers who only care about selling one item at the time and getting paid for it quickly.  eBay has been changing its systems over the years to make it more difficult to:

1) combine several items on one invoice/payment

2) effectively communicate with buyers and possible buyers (eBay is paranoid about fee avoidance)

Unfortunately, I often have to send messages to would be buyers through the eBay messaging system stating:  "Please advise directly your email address so I can reply adequately.  I am at myname at myprovider dot com (or ca).  Not pretty but it gets the job done.

I really wish I did not have to do it.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Pierre, I've even had messages blocked when I use the word e-mail, email, E mail, and several other versions of that. But you're right, if they are going to continue to do this (but it seems very selective, some customers are managing just fine) I am going to have to find some other way. 

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

I had this exact problem over the weekend with a buyer from USA.  The buyer thought she had purchased the items, and asked me for a combined invoice - the only way I knew of her difficulties, since the sales never even registered.  I used the solution that Pierre gave, with no problems, it only required a bit of additional communication and time.  The big problem with this is that many customers do not have the patience to deal with this, and will move on to another seller if the items are readily available.

My experience is the same as yours, that this is not affecting every combined sale, but I have yet to figure out what triggers it. 

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

I can't offer any solutions just additional observations.......

I normally only run Auctions, buyers has no issues combining or requesting totals for multiple items. Every time I use one of the Fixed Price promos some buyers of multiple items are forced into paying for each item individually.

I place half the blame for this directly on eBay and the other half on eBay and all those sellers who never stop complaining about non-paying buyers. Like most of the "bad" policy things on eBay they come as an ill-conceived and poorly executed response to sellers complaints.

The old adage "careful what you wish for" is very appropriate for eBay sellers.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

@oldbazaar wrote:

Pierre, I've even had messages blocked when I use the word e-mail, email, E mail, and several other versions of that. But you're right, if they are going to continue to do this (but it seems very selective, some customers are managing just fine) I am going to have to find some other way. 

This is very disturbing. How do you know if messages are being blocked? Do you get any kind of notification that the message has been blocked and the reason?

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

I had this exact problem over the weekend with a buyer from USA.  The buyer thought she had purchased the items, and asked me for a combined invoice - the only way I knew of her difficulties, since the sales never even registered.  I used the solution that Pierre gave, with no problems, it only required a bit of additional communication and time.  The big problem with this is that many customers do not have the patience to deal with this, and will move on to another seller if the items are readily available.

My experience is the same as yours, that this is not affecting every combined sale, but I have yet to figure out what triggers it. 

Again - Very disturbing!

What you are saying is that the same thing could be happening to all of us without our even knowing it. We would not know of any problems unless a potential buyer got an email through to us, and how many people would even bother. I know I'm at the point with computers that if something doesn't work, I just move on - I don't have time

So far I have had combined sales within Canada and 1 to China and 1 to Sweden (I think) I have not had a combined sale to USA. Not that I sell that much in the first place but... I wonder how to find out if combined sales to the US are working.

I always have to send a corrected invoice for combined sales as the shipping charges get added for every item, but that's not a big problem as long as the transactions go through, but seriously how do we know?

This and the blocked email business are just crazy. How are we supposed to know what is going on.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

@around_again_records wrote:

@oldbazaar wrote:

This is very disturbing. How do you know if messages are being blocked? Do you get any kind of notification that the message has been blocked and the reason?

If they blocked the message because they thought you were trying to do an off ebay transaction, they will tell you that the message didn't go through.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:
If they blocked the message because they thought you were trying to do an off ebay transaction, they will tell you that the message didn't go through.

Yes, and what is even more frustrating when you're trying to sort out a problem with a buyer via eBay Messages, is that eBay deletes the message you were attempting to send.  Then you have to start all over again, minus the offending text.

To follow up on the OP's issue, and Pierre's comments: I fail to understand what the point is of having a "cart" system if you can only put one item in the cart and not have the shipping adjusted by the seller.  I think 'recped' is right that this ostensible solution was more of a poorly conceived knee-jerk reaction on the part of eBay.  

I find it harder to imagine that it's because eBay specifically wanted to cater to single-purchase buyers.  Surely eBay itself makes more money if customers can easily make multiple purchases (that they might otherwise not make if they didn't get a break on the shipping).  It's ridiculous. 

I recall Pierre mentioning at one point that asking your buyer to log onto eBay.ca and do the purchasing from there (regardless of where the buyer was located) would solve the problem, since we don't yet have the cart system.  Kind of like getting out the good ol' reliable bicycle (or maybe the horse?) when the car breaks down...Woman Very Happy

Pierre - do you think that will still work?  If so, I find it a better solution than messing around with lists of items and preparing a combined listing. 

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

I thought something was up over the past few weeks.  I've noticed a huge surge in buyers buying a BIN item then paying full with shipping.  Then buying another item and paying shipping and then another item and paying shipping.  I've followed up with buyers asking why they are not combining their purchases and have been told several times that ebay is not allowing it.

I've had to issue refunds on the extra shipping charges plus factor in the losses from the multiple paypal payments.  All my settings are correct and I am not asking for immediate payment.  It just seems that for some buyers they're not given the option to shop around after making one BIN purchase.

It's interesting to find out that I'm not the only one with this issue.  It's become a pain recently.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

We are having the Same issue... I have opened a case with ebay for them to look into it... maybe if more people call in and complain they will fix it. I have noticed a huge drop in our sales because of this issue
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

cba1....I was going to refer you to this thread and I see that you have found it already.

This problem has been ongoing for quite some time.  It would be nice to see it resolved.  Those 30 cent charges add up fast.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

@westernstargifts wrote:

This problem has been ongoing for quite some time.  It would be nice to see it resolved.  Those 30 cent charges add up fast.

I know some sellers have mentioned that they deduct the Paypal charges when making the refund to the buyer -- it might only be a dollar or two less to the buyer, but multiplied by several such occurrences in a month, would add up to a significant amount for a seller. 

Still, that's a workaround, not a solution, which I agree eBay needs to look into as a priority, since it may be affecting huge numbers of sellers (and buyers).  I imagine many buyers just won't bother trying to make multiple purchases again, from anybody, if they encounter one bad experience. 

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

I have done the same thing myself in the past when I thought the buyer was at fault.  Now I can't justify charging a customer an extra 30 cents for S/H when the fault lies with eBay's shopping cart glitch.  eBay should fix it and we should receive a credit for the PP fee (Smiley LOL).

A U.S. buyer emailed me today thanking me for a S/H refund and she also said that the "shopping cart" would not let her combine the items into one payment.  Most never contact me in either regard.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

This is a good way to get low DSR ratings if you can't combine your shipping right away.  Even if you do refund the extra shipping, it does not show up that you have given the refund when the buyer goes to leave feedback.  So if the buyer has forgotten that he/she has received a refund then they will cut an arm off one of the stars.....each item will show the full shipping charge in the feedback section even though you have sent them the refund.

There is a way to avoid paying each time for shipping and that is to simply use the back button on your browser to go back to the item list to purchase another item......but unfortunately most people won't give the time to figure this out.

When I started charging sales tax I had to scrap my shipping charge to Canadian buyers because of all the refunds of shipping,  it would have been too much wasted time figuring out how much tax to refund them on the shipping costs. 

A few months back I ran into a very cooperative buyer from the US who was willing to be a guinea pig for my listings.  I told them to buy what they wanted and try different ways to get them combined and in turn I would cancel the transaction and send them some coins for their troubles.....well it turned out that they had all the troubles that are mentioned above regarding combining the items...."I couldn't get out of the Pay Now page"  they said.  "There's no cart", etc etc. 

There has to be some consistency between eBay.ca and eBay.com , eBay.co, etc. so that all the buyers on different eBay's can purchase internationally without differences in the pages they see and differences in the payment methods, etc. It varies from buyer to buyer as to who is having trouble combining....about 1/3 of my US buyers have no problem combining and I could only guess 75 % of my Canadian buyers don't combine (but you don't have to with free shipping, they gain nothing)

And the eBay app is not helping anything.  I have used it to buy and sell.   As a seller I cannot send a combined invoice through the app, I have to go back to the PC.....this sucks when I am at work and a multiple order pops up.  If I wait til I get home the buyer has lost patience and paid...most times individually.  The app will also not let you request a combined invoice as a buyer.   You are not forced to pay for your item but you can't group them to pay all at once so people just pay one at a time.  Furthermore, the app is very easy when it comes to paying for your items period.  Once you log into your paypal once, the app remembers your info and you just click pay each time after that, you don't have to log into paypal again to pay, not even a week later....secure?  Not if I lose my phone. 

The app adds to the problem of Pay Pay Pay.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

Yes, it's immediate. A large red bordered box appears above the draft message telling you than it has detected a possible attempt to sell outside of eBay. It then instructs you to remove the information responsible, to be able to continue. If it's an actual email address, it specifies this. If it's just the word "email" or other spellings of that (some quite creative I might add) it simply says "words". In every instance that this has happened, the only reaon I was forced to use these words were problems within the eBay system. 

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

This buyer was unable to use eBay.ca. She wasn't clear why.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

I've just received a message from eBay asking to choose one reply as my solution. Obviously this does not apply as the solution lies with eBay themselves. I shall be contacting them repeatedly until I get a solution, and I recommend everyone else does the same.

Message 20 of 28
latest reply