Confusing buyer

So, I was making use of the free auction promo and relisted a bunch of old books. An Aussie buyer (I haven't had one in a while) messaged me first saying my starting bid is too expensive since I'm also getting paid shipping to Australia. The message itself was kinda rude too.

Then minutes later she messaged me asking if she buys all 20 similar books, what's the cheapest price and again stating she's from Australia. She totally had me scratching my head wondering if she's aware of how far Canada is, or if she thinks Aussies should get a deal?? First she complains about one book being too expensive, yet wants to know how cheap I can go if she buys 20??

I checked her feedback and looks like so far she has only given out positive feedbacks. She's a 4 years buyer with around 20 feedback. Judging from the sellers she tends to buy from, those sellers start their auctions low and can afford cheaper shipping from Asia.

How would you handle this one?

I decided to reply only because she hasn't left any negative (not false positives either) to other sellers. Pretty much told her that I can't lower my starting bids, how much airmail shipping would be for all 20 books, and told her that there's nothing I can do about the expensive shipping from Canada to Australia but I do offer combined shipping for multiple books. Will see whether or not she responds lol.

The good part is, that means my listings aren't completely invisible on eBay! I listed those auctions about 12 hours ago so getting a message about them so soon means people are checking them out. Hopefully some of those watchers will turn into a buyer... 🙂
Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Confusing buyer

mcrlmn
Community Member

I'd scare her off with the unfortunate reality of the approx. 14,000 km / 9,000 miles registered shipping cost for the weight and size of 20 books.

It probably won't matter even if the books are offered for peanuts. I'll bet she declines.

Message 2 of 53
latest reply

Confusing buyer

How would you handle this one?

I'd give them a price for the books and shipping!

If they like the price they will buy, if they don't they won't.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 53
latest reply

Confusing buyer

I believe buyers sending rude messages before purchasing are doing me a favour by letting me know in advance what I can expect if they actually buy.

I block them, solves that problem before it starts.

Message 4 of 53
latest reply

Confusing buyer

If she left negatives then yeah I would have ignored and blocked her. I'll see how she replies to the "no I can't lower starting bid" and "here is how much I can ship to you for if you do buy 20" (it's cheaper than what eBay quotes her since shipping is less combined). Who knows, maybe she'll still buy. Though I did give her a quote for small packet air and not tracked packet, so if she does buy a lot, I'll upgrade to tracked packet out of my pocket.

And I probably mentioned "international shipping" 3 times in the message juuuust in case she actually thinks I'm in Australia. eBay does funny things sometimes, I can't rule out that possibility 😛
Message 5 of 53
latest reply

Confusing buyer

Yes a lot depends on how big the potential order is, how long/old the listed item is etc.

I probably should have said "generally I block them" because I'm sure sometimes I've chosen to take the risk....but not a lot of times!

(As a note, I've had buyers who have already purchased from me and I've had occasion to want to check their "left feedback" after they purchase and they've left some scary negatives for scary/poor reasons....so far though the ensuing worry it causes me has been unfounded, I haven't been neg'd by any so far (keeping fingers crossed) ...so one can only read so much into their left feedbacks too)
Message 6 of 53
latest reply

Confusing buyer

@mccrim

Tracked, not registered.

Registered is only Confirmed Delivery within Canada. And neither eBay nor PP accept Registration in an INR dispute.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=how_to_show_that_you&cattype=kb&cat=sending...

Note that for overseas, the proof of delivery is a paper form that is mailed back to you. (Some philatelists collect these!)

For the USA, Registered Mail is transferred to Express Post and therefore has acceptable proof of delivery.

Message 7 of 53
latest reply

Confusing buyer

Er, I hope you quoted her the rate for Tracked Packet to Australia. 

Message 8 of 53
latest reply

Confusing buyer

I quoted her small packet air counter rate, but if she does end up buying a lot ($150+) I’m fine with upgrading to tracked packet on my dime. The SFSB discount makes it only around $10 more than small packet if I remember correctly... and those books are quite old.

Honestly I don’t think I’d hear back lol since I already said “no” to lowering my prices.
Message 9 of 53
latest reply

Confusing buyer

I have no idea why I posted twice......

Message 10 of 53
latest reply

Confusing buyer

"Tracked, not registered"
Yup, that's what I meant.
Message 11 of 53
latest reply

Confusing buyer

Wow I got a reply that started with thank you for replying to my message! Still a bit blunt with the lack of punctuations but......

She actually made a reasonable offer! She'll take the 20 books at listed price if I pay for shipping. They even out to about 25-30% off the entire order. So I'm gonna actually check and weight all the books together with boxes to make sure the estimate I gave her is close to the actual shipping (and I'll upgrade it to tracked packet myself). I'm surprised that it sounds like it'll work out. If everything goes well this would be my largest single-order on eBay! 😄
Message 12 of 53
latest reply

Confusing buyer

That’s good news! Keep us posted. Finger crossed for you that it all goes well to the end.
Message 13 of 53
latest reply

Confusing buyer

Is there any major difference between tracked packet and Xpresspost other than shipping speed? I was originally going to send the books as two tracked packets (the weight of the books are 3.2kg before packing), but it turns out 2kg tracked packet to Australia is $80.44 each with SfSB. Whereas a 4kg Xpresspost is $158 with SfSB so it's cheaper...

I have never used Xpresspost before, do you just print the label out and tape it onto the box just like you'd with a tracked packet label? Do you have to print out the sales record listing the books or would the label's customs declaration form suffice?

I have other books that are similar to the ones she's buying which I haven't listed. I'm debating if I should ask if she's interested in other books as well, or would that overly complicate things? Afterall, I have never dealt with her before.

And then I saw that music was just asking about Chit chat express. It's about 20 minutes drive for me... I wonder if I should try using them instead for this shipment? I guess it depends on whether the saving is worth the 40 min roundtrip drive. But then I did tell the buyer that my shopping quotes are based on Canada Post rates, so if I switched service, would it count as a SNAD...?

I feel like I'm overthinking it again...
Message 14 of 53
latest reply

Confusing buyer

IMO now that you're in "free shipping" mode you can ship however you want, and the bonus is each of the options you are considering are tracked so the buyer can see where the package is while it is en-route and you are of course protected.

(That was the long way of saying it doesn't matter how you ship now that the negotiations have progressed)

The buyer is simply trying to eke out savings a different way. I doubt very much they care how they get there, especially if they are trackable en route!

Looks like you've done a good job of salvaging a great sale!!!
Message 15 of 53
latest reply

Confusing buyer

Tracked Packet has  max insurance limit of $100 but that's still what I would use. Xpresspost is overkill for this. If you're truly worried about loss, but extra third-party instance on Tracked Packet. It'll probably cost you enough, no need to escalate it to Xpresspost. In my opinion, it's not worth it. Xpresspost Australia is not fast enough to warrant the cost over Tracked Packet too Australia. I've used both. 

Message 16 of 53
latest reply

Confusing buyer

.....Unless your order is worth more than $875 CAD and you need signature on delivery in order to be protected under Paypal's Seller Protection rules so that you then have to research whether Canada Post Xpresspost or Priority is the one with Signature Confirmation to Australia.

Message 17 of 53
latest reply

Confusing buyer

I'm thinking of using Xpresspost because it will be cheaper than tracked packet. My order is 3.2kg, $400 with shipping; doing two 2kg tracked packet will be $80x2=$160, while doing one 4kg Xpresspost is $158, so it makes sense to use Xpresspost... I'm not worried about loss and am happy with tracked packet if it's cheaper lol

... Except I'm still waiting to hear back from CCE for a 4kg parcel quote to Australia. I emailed them last night but haven't heard back... I'm at work so it's hard to call them.
Message 18 of 53
latest reply

Confusing buyer

Tracked Packet is only suitable for international/overseas shipments up to 2 kg and within a certain volumetric weight.

Message 19 of 53
latest reply

Confusing buyer

Oh, I see you saw that. Xpresspot then seems like a better choice.

Message 20 of 53
latest reply