Currency Freedom

Why Ebay do not allow us the freedom to choose the currency of our choice. we don't need restrictions about  how to sell our products. only the sweller know what is best for him

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Currency Freedom

You do have the freedom to choose. Any ebay in the world will accept your listing.

For CAD list on ebay Canada; for USD on ebay.com; for AUD list on ebay Australia et cetera. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Currency Freedom

It's Ebay's sandbox.

They only care what is good for them and the shareholders.

As previously posted, if you want to list in a different currency you will have to list on the Ebay site that uses the currency you want

By the way, nice guitars!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Currency Freedom

I also think its part of job protection and having a Canadian Ebay office.  If most Canadians listed in US dollars, than why have a ca site.  By having both USA & CDN currency it also allowed Canadians to take advantage of promos both for Canada and the USA.  Example 5000 free listing allowed Canadians to list 5000 on ca and another 5000 on com.  With the change in currency to ca that loop hole has been closed.  At least we still get the dual listing advantage with a store.  We can list some in CDN $ on ca and some in US $ on com.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Currency Freedom

Of course it is easier for those of us who can use Flat Rate shipping on our stamps, books or CDs (among other thin lightweight products) to choose to sell on another site.

I have most of my stamps on dotCOM, except for the discounted Canadian mint postage lots and a few items that would mostly appeal to Canadian buyers.

It is much harder for a guitar seller, who must use Parcel shipping (and some pretty fancy packaging, I imagine).

Shipping is always the hardest part of selling online/mail order.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Currency Freedom

You don't get it> I want  freedom as eBay canada to sell in US dollars, no less no more

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Currency Freedom

There is no country that allows listings in multiple currencies.

Canada allowed it but now have made us the same as all others, 1 country, 1 currency.

It is Ebay's playground and they can and do make whatever rules they want.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Currency Freedom

But I do get it.

The switch to a singular currency on ebay Canada is already old news. As in many months old. See https://announcements.ebay.ca/category/cad/ and https://announcements.ebay.ca/category/cad/page/2/

Every regular seller has long since either adapted to CAD or moved their listings to ebay.com.

I'm sorry that you find this to be upsetting but ebay Canada is not ever going to switch back to the dual currency mode. If you want advice, I'd tell you that you'd be better to pour your frustration into analyzing whether it is better for you to stay on ebay Canada and use CAD or move to ebay.com for the USD.

The time to decide has come and gone. Nothing will change that. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Currency Freedom

You don't get it> I want  freedom as eBay canada to sell in US dollars, no less no more

At the moment, it doesn't look as if you have sold any guitars at all.

Have you compared your listings to those of more experienced sellers in Canada?

I noticed this one

item number:  332124445956
  which to my unmusical eye looked very much like yours.
The seller is also in Canada and has a lot of sales under his belt.
Like you he is selling in loonies, to take advantage of Calculated Shipping, a necessity for bulky items.

Do a compare and contrast.
Start with the title, which has more words than yours. You have 82 keystrokes, free gratis and for nothing, to catch the browsing customer. The more words the more bait.
Then he has a personal description (properly spelled, which is always a bonus), to make the customer feel that the seller knows what he is talking about.
There may be other reasons why his guitar is priced at three times what yours is, but those are two ways he is more likely to find a customer.

BTW- your listings show on dotCOM Searches in US dollars-- and the listing itself has both currencies.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply