DYK Post

ay656
Community Member

Anyone uses DYK Post? They collect parcel in Edmonton/Calgary, then drive to the US and ship from Montana to US and Internationally. They charge only $1 per parcel, so overall you save a lot. However, I'm afraid there may be custom implications (especially if shipping to outside of the US), return address problems etc.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: DYK Post

There shouldn't be any Customs issues if the declared value is less than US$800. You will probably find that DYK won't handle packages over over US$800.

It doesn't matter if the final destination is in the US or elsewhere.

FYI - I don't use DYK (I'm not in AB) but all the forwarders have pretty much the same policies and do their border crossings in the same way with the same documentation.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

ay656
Community Member

Thank you for the reply.

When I ship with Canada Post, I enter customs information - items, prices, HS codes etc. This all ends up on the label. As I understand, this is very important when the parcel enters the country of the final destination.

How would I fill this if I ship with DYK? It will come from the US, not from my address in Canada, Very confusing,

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

DYK Post like most reshippers has a return address in the USA for you to use.
102 Central Ave Ste (enter your DYK registeration number here), Sweet Grass MT 59484

When you buy a USPS domestic service there is nothing to declare on the USPS label.

You do have to supply customs info to DYK so they can clear the package through the border.

Contact DYK directly for the best answers to your questions:

https://www2.dykpost.com/contact-page/

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

In the end, it appears you cannot print a label online if you ship internationally - must go to their office to manually fill in forms and pay.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Are you sure? You might have to set up an account with a company like Stamps.com  to print your labels. (they have a free account for ebay but apparently its difficult to find) I know that DYK Post did have a drop off point in Red Deer at one time...they may still have it..but since that wasn't an actual DYK office, the labels would have had to already be on the package and paid for so there has to be a way to do it.

You can print USPS labels through Shippo as well.

I don't recall if this has been mentioned already but ChitChat has recently opened up a location in Calgary, you might want to compare their costs to DYK.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

ay656
Community Member
That's what they told me. If it's going outside of the US, they have to fill forms on their computer.

Shippo is a nice service though. I would definitely use them if I lived in the US.
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Many of us here use Shippo now for Canada Post labels.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

You should see if Chit Chats is around you. I'm at BC and using Chit Chats for international shipping and I can buy the postage from home and just drop them off at one of their branches. It's so easy and quick!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I live in Edmonton and use DYK all the time and can say they work well. You will either need to get them to write the forum in the office or you can get them to set up an account for you and do it online. You can't register yourself you will need to email them and talk to them about your situation.

For myself I was able to get a local courier to pick up my packages and bring them all in. I had all my forms done online before they were brought.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

You get a local courier to bring your packages from your location to DYKs pick up point in Edmonton?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Are you sure? You might have to set up an account with a company like Stamps.com  to print your labels. (they have a free account for ebay but apparently its difficult to find) I know that DYK Post did have a drop off point in Red Deer at one time...they may still have it..but since that wasn't an actual DYK office, the labels would have had to already be on the package and paid for so there has to be a way to do it.

You can print USPS labels through Shippo as well.

I don't recall if this has been mentioned already but ChitChat has recently opened up a location in Calgary, you might want to compare their costs to DYK.

I have USPS and FedEx setup under eBay.com (not eBay.ca) and can print labels with the eBay.com discounted shipping rates.  I use DYK Post and have and account an US address through them. Once I have my postage labels printed out, I fill out an online manifest with  DYK Post for customs

Message 12 of 12
latest reply