Does making partial refunds damage my account?

A buyer contacted me to negotiate the price of an item.

Something like from 100$ to 95$.

Buyer went ahead and purchased the item for 100$ and I gave him a 5$ partial refund by going to :

View Sales Record -> PayPal Transaction Details

Is this a bad idea? Will eBay consider there was something wrong with my item which is why I gave a partial refund?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

There is nothing wrong with making partial refunds. And it will not affect your account. Sellers including myself do it all the time to refund shipping overcharges & for other things. If it makes your buyer happy then it makes eBay happy.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

As far as I know the system will not allow you to refund anything but shipping cost (partially or completely).

If they would allow partial refunds on items, this would create problems with calculations of sellers' FVFs.

If the item was with FREE SHIPPING you just can send $5.00 to the buyer, but if it was not a Free Shipping you can refund it easily.

Good Luck! 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

hlmacdon
Community Member

No.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@block36 wrote:

As far as I know the system will not allow you to refund anything but shipping cost (partially or completely).

If they would allow partial refunds on items, this would create problems with calculations of sellers' FVFs.

If the item was with FREE SHIPPING you just can send $5.00 to the buyer, but if it was not a Free Shipping you can refund it easily.

Good Luck! 

Sellers are free to hand out whatever refunds they want. You may be thinking about applying discounts to a sale prior to payment, that is limited to the amount of the shipping because the Item amount itself cannot be changed.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

YOU ARE RIGHT - This limitation is about discount 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply