EBAY GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM IS A SCAM.

EBAY HAS INTENTIONALLY MISLED SELLERS TO THINK THAT "GLOBAL SHIPPING IS A WAY FOR THEM TO SELL AND SHIP THEIR PRODUCTS TO NON USA BUYERS WHEN GLOBAL SHIPPING IS JUST A IMPORT DUTY COLLECTION SCHEME BY EBAY" Thats untrue you can Still ship Items to NON USA residents without Global Shiipping

Infact you will lose many potential buyers by registering you Item on 'Global Shipping'. Global Shipping is just one of those options that ONLY Ebay benefits and sellers lose potential buyers. What 'Global Shipping' does is that EBAY collects import duty of your ITEM on behalf of the buyers Country. So that the buyers prepays for import duty at the time they are buying your Item.

I PERSONALLY WILL NEVER BUY A PRODUCT FROM A SELLER THAT USES "GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM"

Now the total price of your Item will jump by at least 15% depending on that countrys import duty rate and that is the deal breaker to most buyers. Many buyers will simply then shy away and Not buy products that are checked with global shipping because when added with shipping costs your Item price will now increase greatly to discourage a buyer from continuing with the purchase.

"Global shipping has nothing to do with the ability of a seller to ship an Item to a non USA buyer. They should have called it "Pre-Import Duty collection program instead of calling it "Global Shipping Program".

A seller can still ship an Item out of the USA without Global Shipping. EBAY is the only one that benefits from Global shipping it collects this import duty money, and only gives it to the buyers importing country if asked by that country(allegedly) . In Canada most buyers handle their own import duty. Also some products are not import dutyable and yet EBay charges and collects the money.

Some Buyers have their own Import duty Tax number and sort it out with their own countries.

What you can do, is that at the time of listing your item, uncheck the global shipping for the Item. The Global shipping options for buyers from Canada and the Americas is Not really Neccessary. Or you could post the the item two times, One with Global shipping and the other without, and let buyers know that they can choose to buy the same Item without or with Global shipping.

Or you could ask International buyers to contact you before buying, request that their phone numbers are sent to you

Be a smart seller. DO NOT USE GLOBAL SHIPPING. LET BUYERS HANDLE THEIR OWN IMPORT DUTY. read the forums and internet about what are saying about "Ebay Global Shipping"

Many sellers are misled to believe that they have to use global shipping. You dont.

EBAY GLOBAL SHIPPING IS SIMPLY A GIMMECK THAT BUYERS AND SELLERS DO NOT NEED. ONLY EBAY BENEFITS.

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

I agree.  I noticed the Global Shipping Program AFTER I placed the bid.  Fortunately the seller gave me permission to retract the bid and even instructed me to "check" off the reason to retract even though it isn't so..  Can you imagine paying $10.49 for the shoes, shipping $24.98, and then the taxes and import duty on top of all that?  WHERE IS THE DEAL IN ALL OF THIS?!

Message 61 of 64
latest reply

Totally agree. I am a Canadian buyer on ebay since 2000. I have previously NEVER had problems receiving goods from U.S.A sellers (nor international sellers). Sometimes I am asked to pay GST & PST, often not, and it is super simple. I either pay at the post office or I pay upon delivery.  Brokerage fees have always been quite reasonable, from all transport companies. I have no problem paying the legal taxes, duties on items. But Global Shipping import and brokerage fees are OUTRAGEOUS (over 30% of the purchase price). I would understand if the seller received a cut from this but as far as I know the ONLY beneficiary is ebay and Global Shipping. It certainly does not benefit the buyer. I am buying less and less from ebay because of this. I wish there was an option for the buyer to opt out, until then I am boycotting those sellers that use it. 

Message 62 of 64
latest reply

It has been a scam since the beginning.  It's horrible.

It adds delays, adds costs (not everything gets an import fee at the customs, yet this system charges you every time).

The seller has no idea where the item is at, and it makes it hell of a lot harder to get a refund, since 90$ of the shipping cost is given to Pitney Bowes and not the seller.  So the seller cannot refund it properly if you don't receive your item.

Message 63 of 64
latest reply

Please post all questions about the GSP here: Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Please post all comments about the GSP here: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 64 of 64
latest reply