Ebay Chat

Sorry to say, the chats are an absolute disgrace. Not one thing got answered today.

I am sure some will be happy but I can not continually waste my time with chat for absolutely nothing and no answers.

I am sure I am not the only one that feels this way and to those of you that will continue to participate, good luck.

Message 1 of 72
latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Ebay Chat

Like I said before, you asked. I answered.
Message 61 of 72
latest reply

Ebay Chat

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

"However, in my view, "Request Total" should always be an available option for buyers as long as eBay still permits smaller independent sellers to list on this site"

I understand what you are saying but I don't agree that it should be an available option if the seller does not want to offer combined shipping...and some sellers do not want to offer it.   It shouldn't be an option either if the seller already has discounts set up properly. Why should they have to deal with an invoice request if the amount in the cart is already correct?  

Well yes, but I perhaps I should have been clearer.  I did mean that of course the seller would have to first choose to leave "Request Total" on.  That's a given.  I can't see why eBay's programmers couldn't handle that task.

What I was referring to was that if the seller chooses to offer manually combined shipping discounts, that option should always be available to buyers, wherever they might be, and from whichever site they might be purchasing.  

The way things are at the moment, I think a lot of sellers who want and intend to offer non-automated shipping discounts (and even advertise such in their listings) are completely unaware that their buyers are unable to access "Request Total".  That must apply to millions of sellers.  Which, by extension, would apply to millions of buyers, a certain proportion of whom may be trying to purchase more than one item and get a break on shipping, then give up in frustration when they reach eBay's "dead-end" screen.  

Personally I think this is a terrible way for eBay to do business.  However they don't seem to think it's much of an issue, so I suppose other sites will benefit from their loss of customers.  

Message 62 of 72
latest reply

Ebay Chat

Betsy should have been called Testy since it constantly puts its sellers & buyers through h....with all its testing nonsense.

I closed up shop there after many years. Got tired of all the **bleep** there.

Message 63 of 72
latest reply

Ebay Chat

I think a lot of sellers who want and intend to offer non-automated shipping discounts (and even advertise such in their listings) are completely unaware that their buyers are unable to access "Request Total".  That must apply to millions of sellers.  Which, by extension, would apply to millions of buyers, a certain proportion of whom may be trying to purchase more than one item and get a break on shipping, then give up in frustration when they reach eBay's "dead-end" screen.  

Personally I think this is a terrible way for eBay to do business.  However they don't seem to think it's much of an issue, so I suppose other sites will benefit from their loss of customers.  

Neither of us have any idea if millions are involved. Everyday there are people who get combined shipping  and who are able to request an invoice. Yes, it's a problem in some cases but to say millions are affected is just guessing on your part.

I don't get the impression that ebay is saying that buyers should not be able to request the total when a seller wants them to.  They are saying that as long as the seller has their combined shipping enabled (shipping rules not necessary) and they don't have seller enabled immediate payment then buyers should be able to ask for an invoice in the cart.   Now perhaps that is not what is happening but we have to be able to show them that the a seller has everything set up correctly and the buyer received that message. They seem to think that it is working as they want it to and if they see that it isn't, perhaps they will seriously look at fixing it.

Anything that I've read from the .ca or .com reps suggests that they think that it is working as I described.
I realize that they may still not fix it even if shown that it doesn't work the way it was intended but I still like to think that most of the time, a cup is still half full.
Message 64 of 72
latest reply

Ebay Chat

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Neither of us have any idea if millions are involved. Everyday there are people who get combined shipping  and who are able to request an invoice. Yes, it's a problem in some cases but to say millions are affected is just guessing on your part.

Not so much guessing, but a bit of reasonable extrapolation I'd say.  How many millions of independent, smaller sellers does eBay have?  Likely still millions around the world.  Of those, how many make a sale of more than one item at a time now and then, and offer manually-adjusted combined shipping discounts?  Probably the majority.  (Actually, it's rare to see a smaller seller who doesn't offer such discounts, it's a common theme).  And of those, how many have, on their own, set up automation rules, or understood the message from eBay that they must toggle combined shipments on?  It's probably safe to say a large proportion haven't.  

So we're still left with a pretty large number that could conceivably be in the millions.  Or tens of thousands.  Or just a few hundred.  The actual number is hardly the point.  

Every potential checkout problem is a potential lost customer, not only to the seller involved, but to eBay itself.  By allowing any checkout issues to continue, eBay is giving away its buyers to the competition.  In fact, I'd be willing to bet even eBay doesn't know the net effect, because there is no way to prove a negative.  It's impossible to quantify how many buyers may have given up trying to check out when they can't get a total easily from their seller.  

"I don't get the impression that ebay is saying that buyers should not be able to request the total when a seller wants them to.  They are saying that as long as the seller has their combined shipping enabled (shipping rules not necessary) and they don't have seller enabled immediate payment then buyers should be able to ask for an invoice in the cart."   

I agree, I don't think eBay is saying buyers shouldn't be able to request a total.  They're just not ensuring that it's possible in all possible checkout situations on eBay.  What they've done is to re-design the system to benefit sellers who prefer to use automated shipping rules (which will include most of the bigger sellers), while utterly failing to clearly explain to all sellers that the combined shipping option must be turned on (even without rules).  I see this eBay's failure to provide proper service to all its paying users, across the board.  

Anything that I've read from the .ca or .com reps suggests that they think that it is working as I described.
I realize that they may still not fix it even if shown that it doesn't work the way it was intended but I still like to think that most of the time, a cup is still half full.

Yes, of course it's working as described, but it isn't working for all sellers or buyers because of eBay's negligence in either:
(a) not clearly informing all sellers what they must do to ensure their buyers can check out without problems; and/or
(b) not designing programming to overcome the gap they created in the first place.  

That programming could take several forms, but as I've said earlier, I'm sure eBay's designers could come up with something -- if they wanted to.  This isn't the first time they've "improved" some feature and muddled it up for a whole lot of people as a result.  Personally, I just don't think they consider all the consequences, and so they minimize the situation when they are made aware by users that there is a problem.  

I'm sorry, but in my view there is absolutely no cup half full when it comes to customer checkout.  Providing a fully functional, easy, and consistently operational checkout experience for all buyers and all of its paying subscribers and users (sellers) should be the top priority of any online venue.  

Message 65 of 72
latest reply

Ebay Chat

I see today another example of a seller who is experiencing these problems and doesn't understand why, because eBay hasn't made it clear (or hasn't considered it important enough to design some sort of fix).  

There must be many, many other sellers out there wondering why their buyers have had trouble getting an adjusted total on a combined order. 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Ebay-adds-Insult-to-Injury/m-p/382146#M83434

Message 66 of 72
latest reply

Ebay Chat

mcrlmn
Community Member

Ear service; even during Raphael's tenure.

I don't even bother to read the thread any more.

Message 67 of 72
latest reply

Ebay Chat

I am another of those Rose, I keep losing buyers because they can't combine shipping. Some can purchase and ask for a revised shipping invoice with no problem, other just can't, as soon as they commit to buy, the payment is made. When they try, they get a message saying  that I don't combine shipping.

Each time it has happened I have called eBay. I am to that my settings are all set correctly, and sometime they even re-set them. The only suggestion I have had is to ask the buyer to call eBay. Most just do no want to do that, I don't even ask, they shouldn't have to.

Message 68 of 72
latest reply

Ebay Chat

I purchased sunglass from Thursday night and I didn’t get any email from ebay my email address just give me answer please

Message 69 of 72
latest reply

Ebay Chat

ZOMBIE THREAD from 2015

The problem with zombie threads is that the information in them is often out of date and inaccurate.

Please open your own new thread to get useful advice.

You purchased sunglasses yesterday.

I will assume you paid.

The seller has not yet given you a tracking number for the shipment.

Give him a chance to pack your purchase and ship.

Message 70 of 72
latest reply

Ebay Chat

I'm not sure what your question is but please start a new thread with your question.  This thread is 4 years old and they will likely close it.

Message 71 of 72
latest reply

Ebay Chat

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 72 of 72
latest reply