Ebay Returns and Shipping Cluster

I am fairly new to ebay and shipping and the post office, but here is what is going on in my situation.

1.  sold a star wars comic for $134.99 + $18 for tracked shipping.  so the buyer paid $152.99 in total.

2. i got to post office, and shipped the book off for at a cost of $18.  

3.  the book gets damaged in transit (i have an insurance claim in for $100 on the book and i think i might be able to get a refund on the original $18 for shipping -- still waiting for outcome on situation) 

4.  i have to buy and email a new shipping label for the book so he can return it to me which now costs me $22 as fuel surcharges have gone up.

5.  the funds from ebay were never deposited to me, so when i reversed the transaction the buyer got his purchase price of 134.99 refunded.  i got nothing.

6.  buyer than asks why he didnt get the whole 152.99 back to which i do not know.  so he open up a claim on ebay and then end up giving him the $18 back.

7.  ebay charges my credit card the $18 dollars to which they then return to him.

so wft is going on here.  in summary, i paid $18 to ship it, $22 to ship it back and then ebay charged me another $18 to refund the buyer.  i have now paid $58 dollars out of my own pocket to ship this book around ontario with the hope i might be albe to get $18 back from the post office in my claim.  at no time did ebay ever pay me anything.

does it seem like ebay just pocketed the first $18?  i mean, shouldnt they have given back the customer the whole $152.99 since that is what they paid him? 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

4. i have to buy and email a new shipping label for the book so he can return it to me which now costs me $22 as fuel surcharges have gone up.

Just to be clear, this dispute is being handled through eBay and the shipping label was purchased through eBay?

does it seem like ebay just pocketed the first $18? i

No.

That went to the PO to pay for the original label.

And you did get the damaged book back?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

the initial shipping label was not purchased through ebay.  however, the buyer was charged for the shipping.  he was charged 152.99, he was refunded 134.99 by me and then he complained to ebay and they gave him back the $18 for shipping.  ebay took that $18 from me.  during this process, 0 dollars was ever given to me as the funds were on hold.  except, ebay charged me $18 dollars after the fact to make up the difference for the buyer.

as i said before - should ebay have just not just refunded the buyer the whole $152.99 to begin with?  and not bothered to charge me for shipping.

i do have the damaged book back in my possession now.  like i said, i have now paid shipping three different times to get this book back to me.  

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Could the difference be the eBay fees, not the shipping? If so, those should be refunded to you when the case is fully closed (I think).

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I don't know why the buyer was not refunded the full amount to begin with, something doesn't make sense.

Did the buyer open a return request? Did you refund the buyer once the item was returned or ?

Have you looked at the transaction in sellers hub/payments/all transactions?  It might explain things better there.  I'm not sure what information is given in returns but you might also want to look at sellers hub/orders/returns and that might help too.  I'm just guessing here as I don't have any recent returns to look at.

It might be easier for us to figure out what happened if you are able to share that information..without any of the personal info of course.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

This might be part of the problem.

The loonie has been as high as 80c and as low as 74c over the past month

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=CAD&to=USD&view=1M

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

This might be part of the problem.

The loonie has been as high as 80c and as low as 74c over the past month

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=CAD&to=USD&view=1M

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

The OP has only sold ONE item that was listed on .com and that was in February and not a Star Wars thing. The Star War listing was on .ca and sold May 2nd.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply