FREE SHIPPING or NOT FREE SHIPPING

Here is a comment I've read numerous times in these helpful discussion forums.   This scenario, which I think has good instructive intentions, is sometimes not so good.

I quote:

What is better:

(1) An item that cost $2 with free shipping?

Or (2) an item that cost $1 plus $1 shipping?  (with no Combined Shipping Rules stated)

The simple answer is that both are identical.

In some instances, I find the second example much more advantage to buyers.

My reasoning is when a buyer wishes to buy a few similar low priced items from the same seller.

I'm assuming the seller is satisfied with selling the item for $1 + $1 shipping = $2 total.

In the first case, we all know the shipping cost is added into the cost of the item so no problem if you only want that one item.

If you want to buy 10 similar items from the seller, you will then be paying 9 times the hidden shipping assessment.  A windfall for the seller, but not so much for the buyer.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I think it depends on what you're selling, how often you anticipate selling multiples (and how much), and how much of a shipping cost you build into your prices.

If you are selling something where selling 1 and selling 10 results in the same shipping cost, I can understand forgoing free shipping and setting a shipping cost on each time, then setting your combined shipping to only charge shipping once.

If you are selling something where you have to bump up to parcel rates for multiples (which can be a big jump), it may be better to build the same shipping cost into your items with free shipping so when they buy multiples it covers all (or most) of the higher shipping cost. (This is what I tend to do, as what I've sold has been stuff that can go Lettermail in Canada for 1, but bumps up to parcel rates for 2. I need to be able to have enough of a shipping cost built in to cover as much of the costs as I can in either case.)

In the second case, you could also charge a shipping cost and then set up your combined rules to add $1 shipping for each item, or something along those lines.

As I said at the start, it really all depends what you're selling, how much, and if you build any shipping cost into your prices.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Not always. You will not pay 9 times the shipping cost as long as the seller offers combined shipping. I have my preferences set up to offer combined shipping and that is what my buyers get.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

The simple answer is that both are identical.

Exactly.

I'm not here to play Lady Bountiful, I'm here to make money.

There are tradeoffs in every 'deal'.

The low priced machine purchased online probably won't have a warranty honoured by the manufacturer.

Cheap items purchased from overseas are very very expensive to return if they are Not As Described.

Overseas sellers who offer 'free' shipping use the cheapest service possible, which is usually also the slowest.

Free shipping isn't free.

Purchasing several items with free shipping means paying more for shipping than 'necessary'.*

The tradeoff is ease of purchase, especially for those using mobiles. Who are apparently more than half of our customers.

-1.jpg

The person buying several items with Free Shipping is choosing fast ordering over cheap shipping.

*Many sellers will process a rebate through Paypal's Send Money service if the difference is ludicrously out of whack. Some will keep the money as an offset on the times they lost money on shipping, or fees, or selling price.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Your reply is exactly what I wrote as my orginal posting.

I wrote the simple reply as they're both identical.....and then I wrote a scenario where they are vastly different.

If I'm planning on buying multiple items, I would prefer to buy from the ones who list the items without free shipping.

If buying only 1 item...it doesn't matter.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

100% completely agree with your response.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply