Fees are insane!!

Haven't sold on here for a while. I recently sold a phone case for $75 and paid a total of $25 in fees. Why did Shippo charge me so much just to let me print a shipping label, which I could have done myself for free, and then Ebay charges me a fee on top of the Shippo fee!!!!!

Last time I sell on Ebay!!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Fees are insane!!

@fierostuff wrote:

Haven't sold on here for a while. I recently sold a phone case for $75 and paid a total of $25 in fees. Why did Shippo charge me so much just to let me print a shipping label, which I could have done myself for free, and then Ebay charges me a fee on top of the Shippo fee!!!!!

Sounds like you are confusing an ADDRESS label with a SHIPPING label. A SHIPPING label includes the cost of shipping.

If you are being charged a Shippo fee then you did not set things up correctly. eBay covers the Shippo label processing fee.

What Shippo DOES charge you is the Canada Post shipping label cost which includes postage.  Which is not cheap for parcels in Canada.

If you wanted to ship using inexpensive lettermail (max 2cm thick) -- you CAN NOT buy the shipping label online.  You must put an ADDRESS (label or manual) on the letter and add stamps (or buy postage at the post office/outlet).

-..-

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Fees are insane!!

I don’t know how your fees could be $25.  Ebay fees would be $9 -  10% of the item cost + shipping cost.  The Shippo portion is for the shipping label as Canada Post doesn’t ship for free....you already charged the buyer for that so that doesn’t count as a fee.

The PayPal fee should be around $3 so your total fees would have been about $12.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Fees are insane!!

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don’t know how your fees could be $25.  Ebay fees would be $9 -  10% of the item cost + shipping cost.  The Shippo portion is for the shipping label as Canada Post doesn’t ship for free....you already charged the buyer for that so that doesn’t count as a fee.

The PayPal fee should be around $3 so your total fees would have been about $12.

Let's assume the OP (original poster) is based in the Martimes, sells the item for $75 plus $15 shipping to Canada.

eBay FVF (final value fee) on item: $7.50 + 15% HST = $8.63

eBay FVF on shipping: $1.50 + 15% HST = $1.72

PayPal processing fee: $2.91

Shippo processing fee (for eBay): $0.00

Total fees: $13.26

The possibility does exists that @fierostuff had a clerk at the post office that still does not know how to properly scan a pre-paid label from an SA (Supplier Account) and ended up being double charged by Canada Post.

-..-

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Fees are insane!!

Did you pay for (unnecessary) listing upgrades? From the appearance of your Ended Sold phone case, I would think not, but some things are not immediately apparent to the casual viewer. Bold title in search? International Site Visibility? You can absolutely sell an item without the former which is a big $7 waste of dollars and the latter is 50 cents per listing, it helps gain views but isn't absolutely necessary in order to sell something. 

Or was your '$25 in fees' hyperbole? I think we can account for about $15 CAD. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Fees are insane!!

I think YPCD Dennis has the correct answer.

The clerk at the Post Office charged for shipping even though a Shippo label had been printed. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Fees are insane!!

I haven't sold on eBay for awhile either and the fees ARE insane! Gouge gouge gouge is the new eBay way. Is 10% the new final fee? It was 4.7% "way back when". Are they charging for shipping cost as well? Like anything today we need to use due diligence when selling on eBay, the fees and prices are "through the roof"! I guess I'll find out how much I'm paying when my bill comes in after the sale...

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Fees are insane!!

Confusing! 10% charge on the taxes? Plus the 2.9%? Oh well the cost ultimately will be passed on to the customers.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Fees are insane!!

Sellers now pay GST/PST/HST on Seller Fees. This changed last summer; ebay remits it to government. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Fees are insane!!

@mykeycoins$collectables wrote:
Confusing! 10% charge on the taxes? Plus the 2.9%? Oh well the cost ultimately will be passed on to the customers.

There is no FVF charge on the sales tax you collect (assuming you are registered to collect GST/HST).

Sales tax is only charged on eBay fees. Since July 2017.

PayPal is a separate company, their financial service fees do not have sales tax.

-..-

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Fees are insane!!

Is 10% the new final fee? It was 4.7% "way back when".

The FVF is 10% of the payment, which includes both selling price and (here's the tricky bit) the shipping fee based on the lowest domestic rate.

So if you sold an item to Canada for $100 plus $10 shipping, you would be charged $11 FVF.

If you sold the same item the Netherlands for $100 and charged $50 shipping, you would pay exactly the same fee, $11.

The 4.7% FVF was a few decades ago.

Meantime our other fees have been reduced.

We used to pay  for ALL listings, now, although the listing fee is nominally 30 cents,  we get 50 free listings each month, and larger sellers with Stores pay reduced listing fees (from about 2.5cents to about a dime).

And those Stores are in Search,which is a huge change, again from over a decade ago.

BTW- When your customer's payment clears, it will be Held for 21 days against your service. You can print a shipping label (not Letter rate) from the Held funds.

To use Shippo or SnapShip discounted labels, you will need a Small Business Solutions number, available online from Canada Post. Worth at least 5% on any label, more on some.

This is applicable to all new, occasional, and returning sellers. It's not personal.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Fees are insane!!

@mykeycoins$collectables wrote:

I haven't sold on eBay for awhile ... Is 10% the new final fee? It was 4.7% "way back when". ...

10% is the standard FVF percentage.

If you have a store selling fees are less expensive depending on what you sell.

If you are a Top Rated Seller you can also have a discount off fees.

Selling coins with a store and Top Rated:

4.8% in 2015 (6.0% minus 20% TRS)

now 5.53% (6.15% minus 10% TRS) + GST/HST

Store fees: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/storefees.html

-..-

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Fees are insane!!

You need to use due diligence when selling on any site. I don’t understand why many people don’t check the fees before they list.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply