Frustrated with underpaid shipping

I keep getting messages to say I owe for underpaid shipping. I mailed 2 packages last week, I measured very carefully and then add a cm to each measurement and added 10 grams to the weights, and both have come back with underpaid postage. I am wondering how much I need to add each time to make sure I am covered. I repeat, I measure and weigh very carefully.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Frustrated with underpaid shipping

@triber wrote:

That would be good if I mailed items myself, but I have to get someone else to mail for me, so I always do the label online to make it easier. I know my figures were accurate, but I agree, there is no way to prove it.

I didn't mean buy the label at the P.O. -- just get it a second opinion measurement at the counter. Perhaps ask the person mailing for you if they'd be willing to take the extra step for the next package.

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Same here. I got 4 messages from paypal this morning for 4 different packages saying I owe 25 cents and 50 cents etc for underpaid postage. Like you, I am measuring carefully and even adding cm's and grams just to be safe but it still keeps happening. It's interesting that they never send a message saying that I paid "too much" and they want to refund me 50 cents. It only seems to be underpaid postage charges.

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

I personally think this will be a cash grab by someone that will be very difficult to disprove.

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

Measure the package on your scales and when you take it in to the P.O. have it reweighed there to see if there is any difference. Also do the same with the size measurements.

And if passes fine when you mail it, and still gets underpaid charged, then you can call the Canada Post 800 number and complain. All it takes is one piece of out-of-alignment equipment in your package's journey to cause problems.

-..-

Message 4 of 38
latest reply

That would be good if I mailed items myself, but I have to get someone else to mail for me, so I always do the label online to make it easier. I know my figures were accurate, but I agree, there is no way to prove it.

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

You can also go to Canada post website.  Enter all the information and get the exact quote.  It should be exactly the same as at the postoffice.  The only thing that might be different is the weight, depending on the scale you use at home.  

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

I had actually done that. I have synchronized my scales with the one at the post office, but I still have no proof that I did check the values on Canada Post. I think this is the 4th time this has happened.

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

Have they given you the measurements that they are using vs the ones you used? If not, you should be able to find out from Canada Post as I’m sure that others have received that info. Are they all for the same type of postage...for example expedited Canada?  It might be easier to figure out what is going wrong if you have that info. I know that I would be frustrated too if that was happening to me.

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

Hi Triber, just wondering if you are printing your labels though Shippo, Snap Ship or PayPal? Is it possible that the problem is at their end? So far, I haven’t had a problem and have been using Shippo  for my labels (and Snap Ship on Tues in Oct of course).

You may want to bring this problem to the attention of Tyler on Wednesday’s chat.

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

Vintagenorth: The labels are done through Paypal. I have another expedited to do, I am going to go through Snap Ship, I don't know if they will make any difference.

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

No, it just says that a discrepancy has been found. You can't even pay it until you try to print another label. There is a Pay Now on the email, but it just takes you to your Paypal page, there are no details at all.

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

A good scale and calibration weight can help. Even then I've had the odd underpaid shipping due to weight. Only ever with Canada Post, for what its worth.

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

@triber wrote:

I didn't mean buy the label at the P.O. -- just get it a second opinion measurement at the counter. Perhaps ask the person mailing for you if they'd be willing to take the extra step for the next package.

-..-

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

'You can also go to Canada post website.  Enter all the information and get the exact quote.  It should be exactly the same as at the postoffice. "

If you use venture one the rates will not be exactly the same. The online and counter discounts are a bit different due to differing discounts.

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

@widgetc wrote:

'You can also go to Canada post website.  Enter all the information and get the exact quote.  It should be exactly the same as at the postoffice. "

If you use venture one the rates will not be exactly the same. The online and counter discounts are a bit different due to differing discounts.

But if you use the Canada Post website and log in with your Venture One card and then swipe the card at the post office shouldn’t it be the same cost? I think it would only be different if you compare Shippo or PayPal which could have further discounts compared to Canada Post business rates.

Message 15 of 38
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

@widgetc wrote:

But if you use the Canada Post website and log in with your Venture One card and then swipe the card at the post office shouldn’t it be the same cost? I think it would only be different if you compare Shippo or PayPal which could have further discounts compared to Canada Post business rates.

We have found that we ALWAYS pay more at the Post Office than the calculated (venture) business rate we get on line.
Have brought this to their attention but clerks have no explanation except to say that the online rate is ONLY AN ESTIMATE.
We ask, well what if we put stamps on the parcel using the calculated rate we get on line - What happens to the parcel
when it goes through the system?  Clerks just shrug and say they do not know.
No reason why online calculation should not be accurate.

Re "underpaid postage" - after the numerous charges last June for underpaid postage,
one individual posted on the PayPal chat line that he got a Canada Post employee to admit
that some of their parcel scanners were not properly calibrated.  Hence the supposed underpayment.
A while back, we mailed a parcel (USA Expedited) that was OVERPAID by over $3 
(clerk reversed some numbers when entering the measurements)
but we never got a credit or a message saying we had paid too much.

We live 3 minutes from the Post Office so NOW we take our parcels to the Post Office to be weighed and measured. 
90% of the time, their measurements are less than ours.

Message 16 of 38
latest reply

Are you sure the message is coming from Canada Post and is not a phishing attempt? It sounds to me like exactly the kind of premise that would lure unsuspecting (ebay sellers or other) people to click on an embedded (false and harmful) link (to malware) to see 'how much they owe'. 

Message 17 of 38
latest reply

It's coming from Paypal, I can't print another label until I pay when I go onto Paypal. I am going to call CP today and see what they say.

Message 18 of 38
latest reply

What has paypal said about it? If so many users are getting this notice, perhaps the problem lays with Paypal Shipping. Like a glitch. I don't use it anymore, I use Shippo or Snap Ship directly with CPC, so I have no notes with which to compare. 

Message 19 of 38
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

But if you use the Canada Post website and log in with your Venture One card and then swipe the card at the post office shouldn't it be the same cost? I think it would only be different if you compare Shippo or PayPal which could have further discounts compared to Canada Post business rates.

Solutions for Small Business (formerly Venture One) has 5 different rates. Over-the-counter, and 4 online levels based on your volume of shipping labels in the previous 12 months (under $2500, $2501-5000, $5001-7500, and over $7500). *

PayPal currently only has additional discounts for Small Packet Air (USA or International). Everything else should match the online rate you get from the Canada Post website.

eBay (via Shippo)l has additional discounts for Expedited Parcel (Canada or USA), Tracked Packet USA, and Small Packet Air (USA or International). Everything else should match the online rate you get on the Canada Post website.

* - PayPal and Shippo labels now count towards the Canada Post volume levels.

Message 20 of 38
latest reply