Global Shipping Program from Canada

I have a 'possible buyer' in Thailand.  He really wants an item  I've listed.  He 'suggested' I use the global shipping plan--BUT, I have clearly stated I will not ship overseas because of the costs and previous lost/damaged items.  I have no knowledge of this program, I simply use Canada Post .  From what I could find on the ebay site, it isn't available to canadian sellers.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GSP is only available for eBay.com USA and eBay.co.uk sellers. Not for eBay.ca Canada

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

GSP is only available for eBay.com USA and eBay.co.uk sellers. Not for eBay.ca Canada
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Global Shipping Program is only available to sellers located in the USA and in the UK to use.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@sandy49-250 

I will not ship overseas because of the costs and previous lost/damaged items.

Well, the cost is paid by the buyer. You would want to use  a Canada Post service that is both Air Mail and Delivery Confirmed to Thailand.

Apparently, Expresspost International does both for Thailand, but check here for how much your customer would have to pay.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

However, this is YOUR choice. If you don't want to ship overseas, nothing requires you to do so.

Your customer if she is persistent may choose to use a freight forwarder. There are many of these companies* in the USA and some in Canada.

The benefits to the seller of shipping to a North American forwarder, are that the responsibility for delivery end at the forwarder's doorstep, the eBay Money Back Guarantee does not apply when the purchase has been re-shipped, and the forwarder usually deals with customs** and sales taxes in the destination country.

But again, it's YOUR choice.

If the customer gets annoying, you have a Blocked Bidder List.

*The Global Shipping Program is a sort of freight forwarder.

** Duty and sales taxes are not the seller's concern in any case.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use tracked packet or XpressPost if Canada Post offer to this country.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

There is no such programs in Canada. Anyway that program is just a way for eBay to overcharge the poor buyer (in my opinion).

Just a question... If the buyer accept to pay for the shipping, then why not selling to him? I'm just curious because most of my sales are international and I wouldn't say no to that kind of money. Thanks
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

The GSP charges are Canadian duty on imports over $20, Canadian sales taxes on imports over $20 and a ~$5US service charge.

Canada Post would charge Canadian duty on imports over $20, Canadian sales taxes on imports over $20 and a ~$9.95 Cdn service charge.

Many do not realize how low our duty free allowance is.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Keep in mind that while our tax/duty-free limit may be low, taxes and duties are only applied to the value of the item. In many other countries, the shipping charge is also subject to being taxed.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@soap-market-and-co wrote:
There is no such programs in Canada. Anyway that program is just a way for eBay to overcharge the poor buyer (in my opinion).

Just a question... If the buyer accept to pay for the shipping, then why not selling to him? I'm just curious because most of my sales are international and I wouldn't say no to that kind of money. Thanks

Some sellers are uncomfortable selling outside of the US on their own as they think it can be high risk. The GSP gives them an extra level of protection so in some cases, if there was no global program, sellers would only ship within the US. They have such a huge market there already so some don't/wouldn't feel it necessary to ship internationally at all.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply