Got this message - never seen it before

“eBay note: This total includes tax that eBay is required to collect from your buyer. You can view the amount paid to you in the sales record.”

I know now that some of the States has to collect sales tax (as I understand it it is a real mess).  But I can’t imagine that Canadian sellers are expected to remit taxes to the US.

My inclination is to refund the money to the buyer.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ebay collects the sales tax money (currently for Australia and some USA states) and forwards it to the tax authorities. You are not involved.

The total show what the buyer paid, the details what portion you actually got paid.

Current sales tax list of USA states where eBay collects:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/taxes-import-charges?id=4121#section4

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I’d not.

Is your buyer Australian?
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Also, you’re not remitting anything to anyone; eBay is doing that. If you issue any refund, the money you send back is coming from you.

I don’t know what message you received but if eBay collected tax, it’s ebay’s job to remit it. You’re not involved in that aspect.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

ebay collects the sales tax money (currently for Australia and some USA states) and forwards it to the tax authorities. You are not involved.

The total show what the buyer paid, the details what portion you actually got paid.

Current sales tax list of USA states where eBay collects:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/taxes-import-charges?id=4121#section4

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

No, from the US.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thank you. Buyer brought a small item for $5.25 with tax $5.78. That could put a ding in sales.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

So a ~10% tax on the $5.25 and not $5.78 on the $5.25 (over 100%)?

I'm not good with numbers.

That could put a ding in sales.

Online sales generally, not yours specifically.

All online sales in that state will be hit with the tax.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply