Has Anyone Else Noticed Yet About Shipping Rates?

roadripper905
Community Member

Hey everyone,

I have noticed over the past week that the shipping rates when creating a label through Paypal/ebay are the identical rates as Canada Post.

BUT, Paypal/ebay shows a "Small Business Rate".  Which is false!  As a regular customer with Canada Post (not Venture 1) the shipping rate will be identical.

This is false advertising, how can I go about reporting this without contacting them via phone.  Last time I did that, it was a 49 minutes conversation that charged me over $25 on my cell phone ~ I will NOT be experiencing that again.

I now feel helpless and taken advantage of.

I appreciate all the ebay offers to us as far as our market, but when they charge us our fees, FVF and Shipping, plus Paypal fees and then entice us with "Small Business Rate", does not cut the cheese for me and it is false advertising.

I PDF'd the pages for referencing.

Anyone else notice this at all???

Thnx :~)

Everyday Is A Brand New Day
Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Not all services have discount. Small packet prices are the same via paypal and over the counter.

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

Nothing to notice. You misunderstood what was Small Business rate means to an eBay seller. Calling it a Small Business rate does not mean there is a discount for all services.

Small Packet and Light Packet PayPal rates are the same as personal and business over the counter rate at the post office.

When using eBay PayPal shipping, Expedited Parcel Canada and Expedited Parcel USA get discounts of 25% over the regular over the counter rates.

When using eBay PayPal shipping, Xpresspost Canada, USA and International get discount of 8 or 9 %.

Using there is nothing to get excited about in the PayPal shipping use of Small Business rate when using PayPal shipping. Canada Post has rate schedules for Personal (non-business) and Business. Some rates are the same. Canada Post services business and non-business.

No ebay/PayPal/Canada Post conspiracy.

Too bad you wasted $25 on the cell phone. Please ask here in these forums first when you think something is wrong or you do not understand something.

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

If you figure out a shipping rate using Canada Post's business rate calculator HERE and then put in the same information into the personal rate calucator HERE, the rates will be the same. So the paypal "small business rate" that you see during the label printing process is the same or similar to CP's "business" rate.

I'm not sure about all of the services but in at least some cases, the rate shown next to paypal's "small business rate" is slightly different than the CP calculator because the fuel surcharge seems to be included but at a lesser amount.. Also, when you use paypal shipping, you do receive about a 20% discount when shipping expedited within Canada or expedited USA.

I really don't think that  ebay or paypal is trying to take advantage of you or anyone......not in this case anyway. lol

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

What I noticed was that to ship expedited across this country the rate has increased dramatically.  I use the system to print my labels.  It still shows a business rate decuction but the finaly amount is the same as if I took it to the post office as Joe Blow. The first amount before deductions is inflated.  Has anyone noticed THAT?

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

It still shows a business rate decuction but the finaly amount is the same as if I took it to the post office as Joe Blow. The first amount before deductions is inflated.  Has anyone noticed THAT?

Nope, I haven't noticed. When I was testing it out yesterday it didn't work that way, it was defintely less for expedited when using paypal. On the paypal shipping form the number next to business rate included the fuel surcharge and it was just a few cents more than the top number on the CP calculator.  (before $1.50 fuel charge & taxes)  So after the discounts on paypal, the total was about 19% less than the bottom total on CP calculator which is what regular Joe would pay.

Any chance that you accidently clicked on regular postage?

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

I tested PayPal shipping yesterday too using the ShipNow tool. I got the same rate on Light and Small Packet as the the Post Office and that was expected. I got a discount for Expedited Parcel but did not check into details at what % it worked out to be.

Now there might be reason for concern since eBay Canada announced that the Canada Post Flat Rate box option was discontinued May 30. Maybe something got messed up when they removed that option. I doubt it but eBay.ca did change the shipping options recently. This removal of a service should not affect calculated shipping.

Here is the announcement on the CP Flat Rate box.

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/ca/201205300839172.html

If you have that as a shipping option in your listing (GTC) and it is the only shipping option, then you might have issues.

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

Now my testing with PayPal ShipNow option is not the same test as the information being passed from eBay to PayPal shipping so there could be an issue with the eBay/PayPal interface.

So someone creating actual eBay/PayPal labels should look closely to see if there are any issues.

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

I am testing PayPal labels using the ShipNow option. ShipNow no longer offers the large 20-25% discount. It offers only a flat 5% Small Business rate discount. So eBay sellers using ShipNow can't get the larger 20-25% discount. This was working with the larger discount before Christmas if I recall correctly. It seems like the eBay discount of 20-25% is only available on eBay sales now.

So is an eBay sale still getting the 20-25% discount when passed through to PayPal shipping?

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Roadripper,

You're quite right. For eBay/PayPal to call the postage for a Small Packet a Small Business Rate is highly misleading, if not quite false advertising.

Tom

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

roadripper905
Community Member

Toff and Sheepgal,

THANK YOU for noticing!  I knew I wasn't going crazy!

A couple of things I would like to note/add to this topic (from what I see on my end of the spectrum)

1.  When you ship using the Paypal/ebay shipping, and you ship using whichever method of service, (for argument sake, I will refer to small packet,) you will notice a higher price, then a "Small Business Rate"

NOW ...

The "Small Buisness Rate" is identical to Canada Posts website when you use the "Ship-In-A-Click".

Thus - Toff - you are right it is false advertisement.  Period.

Sheepgal, when I read your post - I immediately thought "Amen!" lol, I'm NOT crazy, (especially being a new member on these discussions.)  That "inflation" you've mentioned was exactly what I was trying to convey in my OP.

As I've mentioned in my OP, I have PDF'd these pages for referencing.  Question is ... how do I go about reporting this?  I'm definitely not going to call them and drive my phone bill up again.

Af for the others who have replied, I am frustrated with this, and I do feel like I've been taken advantage of.  This is legally called Unfair Business and it falls under the Comsumer Protection Act.

I'm not trying to stir a pot, not saying the thought hasn't crossed my mind, but that is not what I'm after.  I would like some guidance as to how I can bring this to ebay's attention.  Technically speaking, this is terms for a, uh oh I'm gonna say it ... a lawsuit.  But I don't want to do a lawsuit - just speaking legally here.

They want to drag fees out of us for our shipping, then they should be accurate with their terms of service and what they advertise.

Lets be just here.  Not just be here.

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

1.  When you ship using the Paypal/ebay shipping, and you ship using whichever method of service, (for argument sake, I will refer to small packet,) you will notice a higher price, then a "Small Business Rate"

I'm sorry but where do you see a higher price? Is is possible for you to post a screen shot here?

When I look at the price on Paypal shipping, I see the top line as showing the Small Business Rate. On small packet the top line will be the same as the bottom line. There is nothing suggesting that their rate is special...unless you are looking somewhere different than I am.

The "Small Buisness Rate" is identical to Canada Posts website when you use the "Ship-In-A-Click".

Thus - Toff - you are right it is false advertisement.  Period.

As I mentioned in my other post..you will also see the same rate if you go to the Canada Post site and use the business section calculator. So basically,Canada Post is the one calling it a small business rate, Paypal is just repeating it. I'm a bit confused as to what you are upset about but if it is because you think that it is false advertising because the business rate and personal rate are the same...you should complain to Canada Post as they are the ones who make up and name the rates.

Sheepgal was referring to expedited shipping in particular. I haven't had a problem with it but are you saying that with paypal shipping you end up paying the same as the CP quoted regular parcel price? If so, is it possible to give an example? I would like to help and many of us here are very familiar with paypal shipping but it is difficult to help when one isn't totally sure what the problem is. Btw Paypal does hae a toll free number but they do not understand how Paypal works in relation to Canada Post so it is not much use to complain to them.

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

Af for the others who have replied, I am frustrated with this, and I do feel like I've been taken advantage of.  This is legally called Unfair Business and it falls under the Comsumer Protection Act.

If they inflated the top price and called it a regular rate and then did a discount and called the total rate a business rate...then I could see how someone would feel they were getting a special rate and feel misled.  But I can't see that being done which is why I asked for some examples or a screenshot.

Message 13 of 41
latest reply

I am testing PayPal labels using the ShipNow option. ShipNow no longer offers the large 20-25% discount. It offers only a flat 5% Small Business rate discount. So eBay sellers using ShipNow can't get the larger 20-25% discount. This was working with the larger discount before Christmas if I recall correctly. It seems like the eBay discount of 20-25% is only available on eBay sales now.

So is an eBay sale still getting the 20-25% discount when passed through to PayPal shipping?

Yes, I'm getting the discount on paypal/ebay shipping and also I just tested it on paypal/shipnow and received the discount on there too.

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

I think you may be confused ... If it the confusion is that business and personal rate is the same in some cases there is nothing wrong with that nothing legal or false about it ... It is just saying that the shipping method you have chosen has the same price for personal or business rate

Message 15 of 41
latest reply

You may be right that calling something a Small Business Rate while it's exactly same rate as Personal Rate may be perceived as deceptive. It would not fall under Consumer Protection Act (provincial level), but under Competition Act, section 74 (federal level). You want to pursue this under federal level.

I understand your pain and think you might have grounds here. Why don't you submit complaint to Competition Buerau ? No phone charges there, it's online.

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/h_00130.html

Message 16 of 41
latest reply

But I have to warn you. I stopped believing the justice and fairness in this country is for everyone. A lawyer once told me: justice in this country costs money.

Personally, I doubt the Competition Buerau would attack another federal organization unless there was a blatant violation or huge public outcry.

Message 17 of 41
latest reply

roadripper905
Community Member

Whoa Horse! 😐

I didn't mean to stir a legal pot, lol.  I was just therotically trying to make a point.

Perhaps I forgot to take my meds yesterday?:^O

Screenhots:

I went back into my computer and did find the PDF's I saved, and I must apologize - I shot my mouth off a little too fast.  The "Small Business Rate" was the same as the final shipping rate - both within Paypal and CP.

I don't how to paste a screen shot on here so I cut and paste into Note Pad and then into here:

Light Packet™ - USA See Postal Guide for Delivery Standard$8.31

Small Business Rate: $8.31 CADSub Total:

$8.31 CAD

Total Shipping Cost: $8.31 CAD

Still, none-the-less, this is NOT a Small Business Rate.  One could still go to a CP Outlet and apply their Venture One account and GET a Small Business Rate applied to their shipping.  I personally won't waste my time and money to get my butt there - but again, theoritically speaking, it is still misleading.

I suppose I'm feeling disgruntled by shipping because the Royal Canadian Mint screws people over with their shipping and maybe I'm carrying it over into here ... another story for another forum ...

A question I did ask in my last post was not answered (maybe because no one knows the answer?) how can I go about addressing this to ebay and Paypal, without using my phone?

Thnx 🙂

Message 18 of 41
latest reply

Still, none-the-less, this is NOT a Small Business Rate.  One could still go to a CP Outlet and apply their Venture One account and GET a Small Business Rate applied to their shipping.  I personally won't waste my time and money to get my butt there - but again, theoritically speaking, it is still misleading.

I suppose I'm feeling disgruntled by shipping because the Royal Canadian Mint screws people over with their shipping and maybe I'm carrying it over into here ... another story for another forum ...

A question I did ask in my last post was not answered (maybe because no one knows the answer?) how can I go about addressing this to ebay and Paypal, without using my phone?

As I've said before, why address a problem to paypal or ebay when they are calling it the same thing that CP does on their business rate calculator?

By the way, a venture one card does not give you a discount on all services. I'm not positive but I believe that that discount is for expedited parcel and perhaps for xpresspost and also for some mailing supplies..

The end discount on paypal is much more than any venture one discount.

I am sorry, I know that we don't see it the same way but I think it is a non issue.

Message 19 of 41
latest reply

shoot, I hit post instead of review. The first 3 paragraphs in my last post are quoting the previous post from the OP>

Message 20 of 41
latest reply