Help with buyer.

A buyer purchased a skincare item from me for fairly cheap ($17 / free ship) . The item in store new in box is valued at over $40

The item is new, clearly pictured with no seal and no box.

Ebay category details only required I state it as "new" vs used. New with or with out box was not even in my selection. I figured it being pictured with out a box was safe.

I ship it out and today I get a message asking if I can send them pics of the listing they purchased, they said it is not loading. So I send them screenshots.

The buyer replys with: "Thanks for responding. The item says new, so I was definitely not expecting to receive it without a sealed box or at the very least, a sealed top. There was no mention of either of these in your listing, therefore I m not comfortable using something in this condition. With all due respect, would you buy something at a cosmetic store that wasn t in a sealed package? I read e-Bay s policy on cosmetics, and I feel this item does not meet the standards they specify. I m upset about spending money on something I m not comfortable using."

For clarification, the item does not come sealed - only the box it comes in is sealed, and it was shown with out the box. So if she knows it's supposed to be sealed in a box than why buy one that is shown outside of the box?

I try to remember to point this out in the description if I can but I sort of stopped because I feel it's common sense. If the listing asks me, I divulge, otherwise I expect the buyer to ask or use their best judgment.

I don't feel that they are entitled to a return or refund which is clearly what they are angling for with the last message.

I've dealt with this kind of attitude before so I know the bad feedbacks surely coming next if I don't cave in to their demands and so forth.

Will ebay side with me if I deny them / remove bad feedback or should I just take the loss even though I know they are wrong??
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Help with buyer.

IMO your buyer is absolutely right. If that product category had a new without box, or open box, or whatever condition field it might be different.  eBay's condition description for New in cosmetics appears to be

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag.

Since it would have originally come in packaging and you don't have the original packaging (nevermind the lack of the original packaging being sealed), listing it as new is incorrect and absolutely subject to a return. The item is literally not as described in your listing information.  Condition IS part of the listing information.

It would certainly be nice if buyers paid a little more attention to pictures and descriptions, but seeing images of a product outside its packaging is common from manufacturers or other sites that sell in volume. It's reasonable for the buyer to assume (imo) that you had done something similar and the item they were actually receiving was sealed in its original box.

I realize that's not the answer you wanted, and other people may have differing opinions, but that's the way I see it.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Okay, so that's fair.

So if I post in the description that there is no box can it be considered new then?

Because in my opinion listing it as used isn't a good look either?

Or are you saying I am only supposed to be selling things that are not missing a box?

Cause this type of stuff makes up like half of ebay..

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I'm not sure for cosmetics as I don't sell them (I'm actually surprised eBay allows them to be listed as used at all), but I would list it as used in the condition field and include in the title something like "no box never used". In the description I would be very clear that it didn't include the original packaging and therefore wasn't sealed, but that none of the product was ever used.

That would put you on a pretty firm leg to stand on. Someone who is uncomfortable in buying the product unsealed won't buy it, and someone who is comfortable and wants a great deal will know exactly what they're getting.

As a side note, you should also check up on shipping regulations and make sure you're okay there. Canada Post in particular has a lot of rules and regulations about liquids and creams, never mind any international considerations.  I don't sell in that category, so I'm not sure what is allowed and what isn't.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

15 min article

Item condition by category

Being clear and accurate about your item's condition lets the buyer know whether they're getting something new, used, or something in between.

On the listing form, you can choose from one of several preset item condition options, which vary depending on the category that you list your item in.

It's important to select the right item condition as it also helps ensure you're following our selling practices policy. Find out what each item condition means in a particular category by reading our list below.

Note that some sub-categories have a different set of item conditions from their main category. To get more details, review the Item Condition Look-up Table.

Health & Beauty

• New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details
  • Open Box: An item in excellent, new condition with no wear. The item may be missing the original packaging or protective wrapping, or may be in the original packaging but not sealed. The item includes original accessories. The item may be a factory second. See the seller's listing for full details and description
  • Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections
  • For parts or not working: An item that does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, or items missing essential components. See the seller's listing for full details

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/item-conditions-category?id=476...

Your item was incorrectly listed, the Buyer is correct about this issue.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Ok I can agree with you.

But I do think this is unfair because in cosmetics there should be a category for things with out a box.

its actually ridiculous, they should really do some thing about this!
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

"The item may be missing the original packaging or protective wrapping, or may be in the original packaging but not sealed."

THEY did do something about this, they put it in your catagory.

The BOX is PACKAGING?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

As others have pointed out, it is your error not the buyer's error. 

eBay is unlikely to remove negative feedback in this scenario. 

Your best bet is to be polite and provide good customer service. Apologize for the item not meeting their expectations, and invite the buyer to open a return so that you can provide a free return label and a refund. 

eBay doesn't arbtrate returns. They require the sellers to accept a return at cost or refund the item. If a buyer abuses the buyer protection policy, sellers are supposed to report the buyer. eBay does remove buyers who are reported by enough sellers. 

The one scenario where eBay might remove negative feedback is if you invite them to open a return, and they do not -  or if they open a return and they do not follow through with sending the item. Keep in mind, negative feedback really doesn't matter much. Especially if a seller acts in good faith and consistently does a good job. Nobody looks at feedback and eBay doesn't assess sellers based on their feedback. 

Other than welcoming the buyer to open a return, if you believe this was your error, and there was no way the buyer could have reasonably expected the item to be in the condition that you sent it in, there are other things you can offer like a partial or full refund without a return. Ultimately, it depends on the nuance of the situation. 

Ultimately, this is a learning experience. As others have pointed out, you may have chosen an incorrect condition for the item. People do sometimes play fast and loose with conditions, and not always in bad faith or to be deceptive. They might list a brand new item where they remove the retail packaging prior to shipping, and make it evident in the photos and listing that the packaging will be removed to save on shipping costs. With that said, that's technically not a brand new item, and a seller who does that has to weigh the likelihood that a buyer might not read or understand the listing, and not including the original packaging (even if the item is brand new) might lead to a buyer being unhappy or opening a return. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

It would be a hygiene situation.

If I received makeup without a box, it wouldn't bother me.

But no seal??

Ick.

Send the return shipping label and refund on delivery.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply