How to Accurately Quote UPS Shipping Rates

Hello  -  I was just wondering how to quote UPS surface shipping rates in my listings. (to both Canada and USA)

It is simple to quote shipping prices using the eBay Shipping Calculator for Canada Post and Fedex - but UPS discounted Surface rates do not appear on the Calculator.

I use shipping policies based on weight and dimensions - but I need to find a baseline in order to accurately quote a price for UPS.

For instance a 1KG package with dimensions of 31cmx28cmx10cm - I can easily quote shipping prices with CanPost based on the policies I've created using the Shipping Calculator.

I have no idea what price to quote or policy to create for UPS standard surface. (the discounted rate)

If eBay does not continue the discounted Canada Post Tracked Packet - I need to find alternatives.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@oddkins wrote:

Hello  -  I was just wondering how to quote UPS surface shipping rates in my listings. (to both Canada and USA)

It is simple to quote shipping prices using the eBay Shipping Calculator for Canada Post and Fedex - but UPS discounted Surface rates do not appear on the Calculator.

I use shipping policies based on weight and dimensions - but I need to find a baseline in order to accurately quote a price for UPS.

For instance a 1KG package with dimensions of 31cmx28cmx10cm - I can easily quote shipping prices with CanPost based on the policies I've created using the Shipping Calculator.

I have no idea what price to quote or policy to create for UPS standard surface. (the discounted rate)

If eBay does not continue the discounted Canada Post Tracked Packet - I need to find alternatives.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

@oddkins 

devon@ebay 

luke@ebay 

Is this being looked into? When the calculator option was added for dot ca in August 2023 UPS never made it  to tool and Fedex was"wonky' when it was released.

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

https://www.ebay.ca/shp/Calculator   dot ca WIP

https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator  dot com Fully functional

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Just make the initial listing with calculated shipping and some stupid high price. Then you can put in different postal codes on your listing and check the shipping rates. Edit it to whatever shipping policies and price you want after you get the amounts.

Keep in mind that UPS rates vary DRAMATICALLY based on destination. I find that items going to major cities in Canada are often cheaper than Canada Post, but items going to remote areas are MUCH more expensive.

Unless you have a good reason for using fixed rate costs, you would be better off using calculated shipping imo.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

Just make the initial listing with calculated shipping and some stupid high price. Then you can put in different postal codes on your listing and check the shipping rates. Edit it to whatever shipping policies and price you want after you get the amounts.

Keep in mind that UPS rates vary DRAMATICALLY based on destination. I find that items going to major cities in Canada are often cheaper than Canada Post, but items going to remote areas are MUCH more expensive.

Unless you have a good reason for using fixed rate costs, you would be better off using calculated shipping imo.

@oddkins 

You could, if you so choose also add a basic note to the listing that the UPS rate is an estimate only. Final amount may be reduced. Please message prior to making payment for a corrected invoice. You will need their final shipping address to confirm final shipping. 

-Lotz

Message 4 of 4
latest reply