How to override Native Policy ?

I am trying to list a needlework kit called "Indian Exotic".  Indian means from INDIA.  The Native Policy prevents me from listing this item.  Does anyone know how to override this stupidity?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to override Native Policy ?

Worked it out myself. Submitted the listing as "India Exotic", the went back and did an edit to "Indian Exotic". That was accepted. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

marnotom!
Community Member

Here's the link:
https://www.ebay.ca/pages/help/policies/artifacts.html

Although the "policy" isn't specific, what happens is your listing is scanned for words like "native" or "indian".  You are blocked from listing if these words are found.  

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Worked it out myself. Submitted the listing as "India Exotic", the went back and did an edit to "Indian Exotic". That was accepted. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

What Native Policy?

https://www.ebay.ca/help/account/policies/az-index-policies?id=4649

The OP probably ran up against this policy. Have ran into this same problem quite by accident too. There are I believe restrictions on trading in Native artifacts as well but that falls under a different policy.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/offensive-material-policy?id=4324

There can be serious consequences if this policy is ignored or circumvented in some way. Have had listings removed and received stern warnings against listing certain material.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I list Old Postcards  and run into a warning that appears if the term Indian, Native specific Tribe etc appears.  (Silliest one is for The Indian River near Stoney Lake Ontario. Nothing to do with their restrictions just the name of the River) Cannot remember the exact wording of the warning  but it says if this is produced specifically by a Specific First Nations Group etc it should not be listed .  The warning does say if it is not specific artifacts and does not go against policy they can be listed. Have never had a problem continuing on with these cards 

Only had one instance on ebay where I was not allowed to list an item  (it would not go through) A Vintage snapshot of a Soldier wearing a gas mask. If Gas Mask appeared in the title it shut me down.  Ridiculous there were actual gas masks listed on the site. Talked to a Ebay Rep and they saw no way around it  so sold it elsewhere 

weavers

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I too have run into problems. I list of a lot of knitting patterns and North American designs are very popular. At one time I couldn't describe them as that, but now there is a check to say that certain Indian items are not allowed, but I can click to list again and it works.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

The verbotten word warnings seem silly most of the time and you're correct the warnings are just that, they can be and are mostly ignored. The military category restrictions are a different kettle of fish though, especially items whose origin was of a certain German era. I've had to market medals and things elsewhere too.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

You get similar issues with anything Inuit, Civil War, That Island off the coast of Florida that Canadians can holiday at but US will have nothing to do with or items involving the Historical World War 2  related to the German Army as mentioned by @kawartha-ephemera . Even had problems when trying to list antique Kipling books that include a reverse symbol which is technically a Hindu good luck symbol vs the other interpretation. Silly thing is before GTC kicked in you had to accept prior to relisting. Now those items once tinkered with to eBay's satisfaction relist automatically bypassing that warning. Doing occasional searches in eBay you can always find listings that have escaped the wrath of those bots...mysteriously. Some of those policies really need to be updated.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

In some cases even avoiding the use of any of the keywords will not save you, ebay either has better AI than they are given credit for or there are actual moderators watching those categories. This was before all the layoffs though.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

AI, censorship, poor programming or political correctness. Who is to say?

-Lotz

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

A number of years ago I had a British WW2 Booklet that was based on  a Radio Play The BBC was running at the time

Called "Adolph In Wonderland"  ( A take off of Alice In Wonderland but all key characters were portrayed as Nazis) 

The cover had a Large Swastika on it

Before listing it I checked with ebay to see if it could be listed or not.  They allowed it and it sold

Don't usually list WW2 era postcards  but the exception is Zeppelins Dirigibles and some war ships tanks etc.  Some have A Swastika on them  Hit and miss if you get the warning or not. ebay will allow at times items with this symbol to be sold here but there are warnings that certain things  related to this cannot be shipped to Germany.  That is German Restrictions not ebay

Have not listed Antique  Good Luck Postcards here in years. Many portray the Swastika which was a Good Luck Symbol (usually circa 1900 to 1913 or so) in many cultures before the Nazi's started using it.  The original swastika is different  the Nazis added  small lines to the tip of it to claim it as their own. Use to get warnings about those too. Again talked to ebay and those were allowed

Best thing to do on those types of items is to talk to ebay before listing and see if it's okay to list or not and make sure they flag the item if they say okay to it,  just in case there are concerns down the road. That way they have a record of the conversation that states they agreed to it

weavers

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

There you go, bans are iffy at best. Hard to argue that logo shouldn't be retired though.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply