I cannot revise my eBay listing

yllenne
Community Member

Greetings all,

This is my first eBay listing in about 5 years. I have properly re-validated my sales account and I posted my first item.

Now I need to make a few adjustments to the ad, however, whenever I click Revise It, I see a big red warning at the top of the page,

"We’ve noticed that you have been selling more on eBay. We want to ensure you continue to increase your sales successfully. Before listing any additional items on eBay, please contact us to discuss your selling plans and goals. Please click here to acquire the phone number and PIN to directly contact eBay customer service and speak with a representative.

Note: To acquire a PIN you must be logged into your account."

I clicked, "click here" and it took me to a generic help page. Somehow I did manage to get a pin sent to me, but I cannot locate a phone number to call.

But why am I seeing this? Why can't I simply just save the changes I made to my ad?

Thank you so much. ‌‌

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: I cannot revise my eBay listing

Glad you were able to get hold of what seems to be a real eBay rep.

Many numbers found on the intertubes are just scammers.

how long eBay places the hold and how long I am on "probation."

The Hold on a specific payment is usually 30 days.

Then the payment is transferred to the checking account you specified in your new Managed Payments account.

You did open a Managed Payments account, right?

The "probation" is less a matter of time than it is of listings and sales.

You can ask every 30 days for the restrictions to be reduced or removed.

Until you've been selling for 90 days and sold 25 items your payments will be held until tracking shows delivered, or in 21 days if there's no tracking. They can hold the payment for the full 21 days if you're selling in a high risk category. 

I've also heard of 30 day Holds. Not sure what is accurate, but if you expect 30 days and get 21 days, result happiness.

And the default for transferring from MP to your checking account is Tuesdays.

So if you get a payment late on Monday, you probably won't see it in your bank account until the next Tuesday.

And some banks get the transfers promptly but are slow about depositing them.

More generically.

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

marnotom!
Community Member

@yllenne wrote:

But why am I seeing this? Why can't I simply just save the changes I made to my ad?

You pretty much answered your own question right at the beginning of your post.  It's been a few years since you last listed anything for sale, and since you've just listed an item with a starting bid of a few hundred dollars, eBay wants to make sure you are who you claim to be and get a sense of your business plan should you continue listing.  Auctions don't make up a huge portion of the listings on eBay now, and one that starts out at a few hundred dollars may have raised a few automated red flags with this site's new focus on security.

Sorry I can't help you with that phone number, though.  Have you considered going through one of eBay's online chat options (Facebook, Twitter/X, or the site itself) to see if someone can point you in the right direction with that?

By the way, have you set up a chequing account where your payments can be directed?  Sellers can no longer have their payments sent to a PayPal account.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

yllenne
Community Member

Update:
After some effort, I was able to find a customer service call-back option (it works the same as Amazon) and I was able to speak with someone within a few minutes. 

I guess eBay has changed quite a bit in the past few years. My account was limited to 1 listing with no revisions allowed (kind of an odd limit). But in order to be able to revise my listing and list more items, I was asked a lot of questions regarding what I planned to sell and the price range of my sales. I mean, how should I know the exact nature of the items I plan to sell and their price ranges? I'm not a business... I'm kind of a ridiculous hoarder... I just want to get rid of it all. LOL  I exaggerate calling myself a hoarder, but I needed to give the cs agent an answer.

What happens if I go out of the stated categories and price range? She also said that they hold on to my payments for a certain period of time. I don't know why I didn't ask for more information, such as how long eBay places the hold and how long I am on "probation." Maybe someone in this community can offer some clarity on these questions? 

Anyhow, I expect to be good to go within about 30 minutes. 

Thanks all.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Glad you were able to get hold of what seems to be a real eBay rep.

Many numbers found on the intertubes are just scammers.

how long eBay places the hold and how long I am on "probation."

The Hold on a specific payment is usually 30 days.

Then the payment is transferred to the checking account you specified in your new Managed Payments account.

You did open a Managed Payments account, right?

The "probation" is less a matter of time than it is of listings and sales.

You can ask every 30 days for the restrictions to be reduced or removed.

Until you've been selling for 90 days and sold 25 items your payments will be held until tracking shows delivered, or in 21 days if there's no tracking. They can hold the payment for the full 21 days if you're selling in a high risk category. 

I've also heard of 30 day Holds. Not sure what is accurate, but if you expect 30 days and get 21 days, result happiness.

And the default for transferring from MP to your checking account is Tuesdays.

So if you get a payment late on Monday, you probably won't see it in your bank account until the next Tuesday.

And some banks get the transfers promptly but are slow about depositing them.

More generically.

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank you so much for your friendly advice. 

I think I am good now. 🙂 

Two listings up... 5 million items to sell! LOL

Wishing you all the best. 🙂 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Did the same to me after a ten year vacation. I was very persistant and finally got a high start limit,

Message 6 of 6
latest reply