INR claims with pandemic postal problems - a solution?

In the past we sold as a hobby (on another account). We would like to do so again.
But with the postal delays, along with tracking update failures,
we are worried about impatient buyers/scammers clicking the button for an INR refund
the day after the ebay expected delivery date.

This is merely a TECHNICAL question - not whether it is a good idea from a sales perspective.

1. If a seller pads a "handling time" to 20 or 40 days - is that added to the total delivery time for the purposes of an INR refund? i.e. will the ebay bot for INR refund be forced to wait for a total time - including that 20 or 40 - before the buyer/scammer clicks the button?

2. will the paypal INR proces work the same way - does it wait the total time - including the seller-specified "handling time" - before it would allow a buyer/scammer to get a refund?

With the horror show of the postal delays/tracking info problems,
the "cookie jar" is no longer enough to protect sellers,
in our opinion.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: INR claims with pandemic postal problems - a solution?

Just as a note, here's a thread that reviews my experience.

It turns out it felt a lot worse to me than it actually was, however please keep in mind I am selling in the stamps categories, other categories may be different.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/COVID-losses-not-as-bad-as-it-feels-but-OHHH-the-account...

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

1.)  Yes

2.) Yes

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

1. If a seller pads a "handling time" to 20 or 40 days - is that added to the total delivery time for the purposes of an INR refund? i.e. will the ebay bot for INR refund be forced to wait for a total time - including that 20 or 40 - before the buyer/scammer clicks the button?

Yes. The handling time would be added on to the total time before a buyer could open an inr.

The exception...If you list on .com using a generic shipping description such as 'standard international' and the buyer's country does not have an eta in the listing, I'm fairly sure that they don't take the handling time into account and if you and the buyer are not in the same country, they can open an inr on day 31.  If they are in the same country, it would be on the 8th day. (there is no eta for Canada on .com in some cases)

2. will the paypal INR proces work the same way - does it wait the total time - including the seller-specified "handling time" - before it would allow a buyer/scammer to get a refund?

No.  They don't take the handling time into account.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I don't recall every seeing any info from PP saying that a buyer must wait past the estimated handling time before opening a claim and I know that in the past, buyers have bypassed the ebay waiting time by opening a claim in PP.  I don't think that it is quite as simple these days as buyers are usually directed back to ebay for claims as long as the purchase site does have a buyer protection program.  But..if a buyer can get past that, I don't think that there is a min. waiting time stated anywhere. But...perhaps you or someone has evidence to the contrary as I really can't point to anything in writing.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I know of quite a few sellers that have not had a big problem with inr's during he pandemic. Imo, communication when sending out the item giving them a realistic arrival time and mentioning that there may be delays does make most buyers more patient.  It may vary by category.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thx...

ricarmic - not sure if you u se Tracked Packet to the USA for stamps.

Result might be different for other categories - electronics for example.
Also might be different from where you are sending. From Out west or Ontario for ex. It will go to different USPS centers
We send from Ontario where Tracked Packet always went through the Ciicago center, it was fast pre pandemic.
Others have had not so positive experiences with Tracked Packet / Ciicago.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Shipping-to-U-S-via-USPS-is-a-Covid-disaster/m-p/442492#...

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/US-post-is-crashing-amp-burning-Sellers-Beware-6-8-week-...

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/About-Chicago-The-Black-Hole/m-p/442102#M116281

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Sometimes it comes down to my costs on the product. Can I afford to lose it?

For a 249gr /2cm thick packet to the USA.

Letter Post --$11.14 untracked

Small Packet USA -- $9.25 untracked

Tracked Packet USA-- $18.38

Is tracking worth doubling my costs?

Tracking only is useful if the buyer opens an Item Not Received Dispute, when proof of delivery will close the Dispute in the seller's favour.

@ricarmic makes a good point that in his category (and philatelists are excruciatingly honest so there's that) he has the data that shows no greater number of disputes for INR.

Electronics? Horse tack? Jewelry? Designer sneakers? Coins?  Outcomes could be different.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hi @heartovermind  

Yes I ship boxes up to bankers boxes, so I use small packet, tracked, expedited and expresspost regularly.

I purposefully do not check the tracking it just causes additional stress, I wait to hear from the buyer.

I send a message upon sending advising the buyer that things might be slower. That seems to help.

(example:

Thank you for your purchase and quick payment.  Your parcel has been shipped out today, Monday XXXXXXX.  Note that the global pandemic may impact the parcel delivery timeline. Some parcels move at normal speed or even more quickly, some are slowed down significantly. A lot depends on which sorting/customs centers are affected and for how long they are impacted. Once the parcel arrives, I hope you will find everything satisfactory.  If you are not completely pleased with this transaction, please feel free to contact me.  I will do my very best to resolve any problem you may have.  Thank you very much in advance for your extra patience while the parcel makes the journey. Regards, RICARMIC (Ron))

My point with my post about the actual results was that I also felt like the other folks posting that "everything" was getting lost in the mail, when in fact when I checked my actual statistics it was if anything just a wee bit worse than normal. No where near as bad as I thought/felt it was. But that is only my situation in my world.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply