Is Paypal down?

I have tried several times to print a Paypal label on 2 different browsers. I've cleared my cache, still won't work. I get to "print label" and then get a message that it isn't working.

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is Paypal down?

qottie
Community Member

Hi triber.  

The PayPal label platform problems are a known issue, and we are working with them to try to find a solution.  In the interim, please ensure you add the buyer's phone number to labels for any shipments to the US or International destinations before you print them.  More details can be found at https://announcements.ebay.ca/2017/03/17/7958/.  Thanks for your patience!

View solution in original post

Message 55 of 80
latest reply

Seller Manager --> Paid and Shipped and then:

Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 7.18.15 PM.png

And then: 

Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 7.18.29 PM.png

Obviously, I whited-out all the identifying information on this buyer but I've never NOT seen a phone number there. 

Message 67 of 80
latest reply

qottie
Community Member

Just a quick update to this thread to let everyone know that PayPal has resolved the issue of buyer phone numbers not appearing on labels.  More details on the Announcement Board.  Thanks for your patience!

Message 80 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

I have some orders to pack, I'll let you know in an hour or two. 

Message 2 of 80
latest reply

@triber wrote:

I have tried several times to print a Paypal label on 2 different browsers. I've cleared my cache, still won't work. I get to "print label" and then get a message that it isn't working.

New style or Classic (old) version of paypal shipping?

No very long address lines (>25 characters) in the shipping address?

Have no labels to print at the moment so no live/dead action report.

Message 3 of 80
latest reply

Is the destination international?
Message 4 of 80
latest reply

Or address incomplete? Have you tried google mapping it to see if perhaps a unit number is missing or digit is incorrect?
Message 5 of 80
latest reply

Have had problems printing PayPal shipping labels over the past couple of days. Finally was able to do so using the new version of the label. Have just printed 2 shipping labels: 1 Expedited parcel for within Canada was able to be printed from the old classic version, and 1 for Tracked Packet to the USA. which still gave the shipping unavailable message when using the classic version, but did print just fine using the new shipping label version. There is often a problem printing Tracked Packet labels so maybe this is just an ongoing problem &/or glitch of some kind.

Message 6 of 80
latest reply

Thanks, I tried the classic site again, still no go, so tried the new one, success! I much prefer the classic site, guess I'll have to get used to using the new one.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Message 7 of 80
latest reply

If they've retired the Classic version without telling us, I'll be plenty annoyed. I use it always for the simple reason that I need that text field of 1000 characters to send buyers my customized 'shipment' message with critical details like exact days of delivery and dispatch time. I told them so with every 'feedback' allowed. My message isn't 1000 characters but it's more than 250 and cannot be shortened any more than it already is. 

Message 8 of 80
latest reply

I have now packed my first order of four for the day and I printed the postage label via the Classic experience for a Canadian destination with no difficulty whatsoever. For whatever that's worth. One down, three to go. 

Message 9 of 80
latest reply

That is good news, I don't know why the classic site wouldn't work for me, I have always used it. When I get a package again I will try it again.

Message 10 of 80
latest reply

So here is where things got a little weird. I printed two domestic labels in Classic view without difficulty but as soon as I got to the USA one, it wouldn't allow me to purchase the label until I switched over to the new view at which point I got a pop-up window saying I needed the phone number of the buyer which I had in the Sales Record on ebay. The thing is that I had already added it in about six different ways to the Classic form before trying a switch to the new view on Paypal Shipping. 

There is definitely a glitch there. 

Photographic evidence:

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 3.16.20 PM.png

Now, this was written about on other threads over the weekend but my concern is, like I said, even if you enter your buyer's phone number on the label via Edit Address when using the classic view, the label purchase still gets rejected without elaboration. At least, that's what happened with me. I cannot run another international test, my final order to pack this afternoon is domestic.

Message 11 of 80
latest reply

I used the Classic version yesterday with no problem.  

Just a few minutes ago I used the new version for 2 items going Light Packet (overseas).  The first went through fine, the second got hung up for more than 2 minutes after I hit the "purchase label" button with that little processing circle (you know the one) going round and round and round.  Finally the label loaded, but sloowwwwly. Fortunately I did manage to get it printed. 

I find with Paypal that if one processing channel doesn't work, another often does.  So for example if I can't get the label to print by going through the transaction on eBay Selling Manager, I try logging completely out of Paypal, logging back in, and then printing the label directly from the Paypal transaction details.  

Message 12 of 80
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

..... I find with Paypal that if one processing channel doesn't work, another often does.  So for example if I can't get the label to print by going through the transaction on eBay Selling Manager, I try logging completely out of Paypal, logging back in, and then printing the label directly from the Paypal transaction details.  

Good advice. Except when it isn't. Printing directly from paypal is what I always did until ebay announced our discounts on postage labels would no longer be available to us unless we logged into paypal from the associated ebay transaction. For a service like Light- or Small Packet it would make no difference because ebay had no arrangements with Canada Post through paypal shipping for a discount but for the ones like Expedited Parcel or USA Tracked Packet, an ebay seller needs to go through the Sales Record to print that label or lose the discount. Of course, on many overseas destination for Tracked Packet, the discount is now greater through Canada Post EST itself so that doesn't matter. 

Message 13 of 80
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

So here is where things got a little weird. I printed two domestic labels in Classic view without difficulty but as soon as I got to the USA one, it wouldn't allow me to purchase the label until I switched over to the new view at which point I got a pop-up window saying I needed the phone number of the buyer which I had in the Sales Record on ebay. The thing is that I had already added it in about six different ways to the Classic form before trying a switch to the new view on Paypal Shipping. 

There is definitely a glitch there. 

Now, this was written about on other threads over the weekend but my concern is, like I said, even if you enter your buyer's phone number on the label via Edit Address when using the classic view, the label purchase still gets rejected without elaboration. At least, that's what happened with me. I cannot run another international test, my final order to pack this afternoon is domestic.

Yes, this was reported recently, and I suspect the "new" version of Paypal labelling is the only one that they'll be focusing on in future, so I wouldn't think it's a glitch.  It's probably quite deliberate - Paypal probably doesn't want to put resources into updating something that will be phased out.  And I do think we can expect the Classic view to disappear fairly soon.  As much as I personally prefer the Classic version, I figure I may as well get used to the new version, warts and all, so I've been forcing myself to make friends with it.  

I can confirm what you've seen, having prepared 3 labels earlier this week and 2 today.  Although the one on which I used Classic view was a domestic shipment (so I didn't run into the same phone number issue), the others were all international shipments, done on the "new" Paypal system, and a phone number was required for every one before I could proceed. 

I have a bit of a problem having a buyer's phone number displayed on a shipping label (which I see it is).  I understand the usefulness from a postal delivery standpoint, but to me it seems like a personal security issue.  If I'm feeling unsure about disclosing my buyer's phone number, I may just use my own next time. 

Message 14 of 80
latest reply

rose-dee wrote: .... I have a bit of a problem having a buyer's phone number displayed on a shipping label (which I see it is).  I understand the usefulness from a postal delivery standpoint, but to me it seems like a personal security issue.  If I'm feeling unsure about disclosing my buyer's phone number, I may just use my own next time. 

I don't share that view. Having my phone number exposed is the least of my worries, as far as personal security is concerned. Having someone know my full name and where I live is a bigger problem but, in the world of online sales, I would flatter myself to think anyone would pick me to harass simply from seeing my name on a postage label. 

Message 15 of 80
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Good advice. Except when it isn't. Printing directly from paypal is what I always did until ebay announced our discounts on postage labels would no longer be available to us unless we logged into paypal from the associated ebay transaction. For a service like Light- or Small Packet it would make no difference because ebay had no arrangements with Canada Post through paypal shipping for a discount but for the ones like Expedited Parcel or USA Tracked Packet, an ebay seller needs to go through the Sales Record to print that label or lose the discount. Of course, on many overseas destination for Tracked Packet, the discount is now greater through Canada Post EST itself so that doesn't matter. 

Yes, you're absolutely right, that's quite true where parcel services are concerned.  I was thinking of my usual, everyday eBay situation (which is normally Light/Small Packet).  My apologies to all for not being more specific. 

Interestingly, while we're on the subject, I had to send a rather large box (41x32x23cm) to the U.S. the other day that weighed 1.9kg.  This was a non-eBay sale, so I knew I'd get no discounts through Paypal anyway, and decided to try Canada Post's EST .  The actual base shipping cost was $56.34 ($Cdn) for Xpresspost.  The SFSB discount was $3.80, which seemed a little paltry to me.  I think that works out to a 6.74% discount.  

Perhaps I'm mistaken in my recall, but I thought someone recently reported that the Xpresspost discounts were higher through CPC's EST system than those offered by Paypal for eBay transactions.  No matter really, since I had no choice anyway.  

The $500 insurance coverage on that parcel cost me $5.25 above the base Xpresspost rate, which seemed surprisingly reasonable.  I had actually somewhat under-insured the parcel to save a few dollars -- if I'd known the end price, I would have insured it for the full value.  However, by the time I got to the payment page of the EST programme, it didn't seem a wise idea to backtrack.  They've streamlined the forms a bit since I last used EST, but I was concerned that if I went back to a previous screen I'd lose all the subsequently filled-in information.  Apparently that's not the case, it is possible to "go back" without losing all the rest of your details. 

My only gripe about CPC's EST is that the email notifications I chose were sent out en français.  This doesn't bother me at all since I speak French, but I'm not sure my U.S. buyer will appreciate it.  On the other hand, maybe it will act as a reminder that we are another country entirely.  In retrospect, I probably missed a little button somewhere in the EST process to toggle on/off English or French.  I'll have to watch next time. 

By the way, if anyone has the time and inclination (I'm afraid I have neither right now), it would be an excellent resource for all of us to have a comparative list of current EST versus eBay/Paypal discounts on the various parcel services.  I think someone recently mentioned a few, but a full chart would be wonderful.  

Sorry for the slightly off-topic diversion, but I thought I'd mention these EST details while they're still fresh in my mind. 

Message 16 of 80
latest reply

The buyer's phone number is not needed. Simply replace that space for buyer's phone number with: 0000000000  = works just fine for me..

also, I am still printing PayPal labels straight from PayPal and still getting the discount. I compared going through eBay with direct to PayPal method and it's the same shipping costs.

Message 17 of 80
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

rose-dee wrote: .... I have a bit of a problem having a buyer's phone number displayed on a shipping label (which I see it is).  I understand the usefulness from a postal delivery standpoint, but to me it seems like a personal security issue. 

I don't share that view. Having my phone number exposed is the least of my worries, as far as personal security is concerned. Having someone know my full name and where I live is a bigger problem but, in the world of online sales, I would flatter myself to think anyone would pick me to harass simply from seeing my name on a postage label. 

Actually, I was thinking of situations -- hopefully infrequent -- where parcels may be left on a doorstep for all to examine (or steal).  Or, as is the case sometimes in apartment buildings where an item may not fit into a person's mailbox, left on a mail pick-up table in the lobby.  Anyone who has ever lived in a supposedly "secure" apartment building knows how easy it is for non-residents to get in the front door. 

It's not that the phone number by itself is the biggest issue.  I consider the combination or linking of phone number, name and address to be particularly problematic since it opens up many more doors for fraudulent activity, including possibly access to a person's Iphone (and all the havoc that might entail), if that's the number the buyer provides on eBay.  It's just one more level of security concern that in my view amplifies the risk of having name and address on view as well.  

Realistically, it's not that difficult to match a name to an address, but many people have unlisted or otherwise protected phone numbers that they might not want on view to all and sundry.  At least that's how I'd feel as a buyer, which is why I may be tempted to use my own phone number if Paypal insists on having one.  

I also have to wonder whether Paypal will make any use of all those phone numbers for its own marketing purposes.  I haven't read the new user agreement to see if this is the case, but it's worth questioning.  

In fact, I'd like to know the exact reason behind this requirement for a buyer's phone number on labels.  Is this a Paypal idea, a Canada Post requirement, an international postal union obligation, or something else?  Has anybody seen any statement in this regard?

Message 18 of 80
latest reply

Most often, apartment complexes will not allow parcels to be left in the lobby. Or hallway. It's against fire code.
Message 19 of 80
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

The buyer's phone number is not needed. Simply replace that space for buyer's phone number with: 0000000000  = works just fine for me..

also, I am still printing PayPal labels straight from PayPal and still getting the discount. I compared going through eBay with direct to PayPal method and it's the same shipping costs.

You're right about the phone number (didn't the labels use to enter "0's" automatically?), and now that I think of it, you're absolutely right about the labels.  

Although I normally use Light/Small Packet, I do occasionally use Tracked Packet or Expedited for eBay sales, and I was sure I had received the same discount by going straight from the transaction details within Paypal, which is why I gave that advice as a workaround when there are issues in the system.  I suppose I need to apologize for apologizing earlier.  A seller will get the discount through either path. 

I believe the reason this is so is that the transaction is recorded on Paypal as an eBay sale anyway.  Paypal recognizes it as such and processes the label with the eBay discount.  

But 'mjwl' is of course quite right if the sale was not an eBay sale.  In that case, the transaction details on Paypal won't generate the usual label discount.  I've had this happen too, for my non-eBay sales that go through Paypal, and for those I turn to Canada Post's EST.  

Message 20 of 80
latest reply