Is eBay's Paypal shipping link not working??

I've tried four times this morning to get to Paypal labels through my eBay transaction (Selling Manager), and continue to get a screen saying "this feature is not currently available".  

What is going on?  Has anyone else had difficulty getting through to Paypal labels today? 

If this is the case (and since we no longer can use Paypal labelling directly if we want the discounts), this is a big concern.  First the back door is closed, now the front.  If we're no longer going to be able to get eBay discounts directly through Paypal, eBay needs to make darn sure their link is functioning each time, every time. 

I'm disgusted, to say the least. 

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is eBay's Paypal shipping link not working??

qottie
Community Member

All,

PayPal released a fix to the shipping labels flow was earlier this afternoon, and we think that the service should be back to normal.

Specifically, when eBay sellers choose "Print Shipping Label" on My eBay, and enter the label printing flow on PayPal:

• sellers should no longer be asked to register or connect their Canada Post account before printing a label
  • "eBay-negotiated" Canada Post rates and services (including Light Packet for US / International destinations) should be showing up again as options for label printing

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you are still having issues with printing labels.  We will continue to work with PayPal to resolve any outstanding issues that arise.  Thanks for your patience as we worked with PayPal to resolve the issues.

View solution in original post

Message 34 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

@rose-dee wrote:

I've tried four times this morning to get to Paypal labels through my eBay transaction (Selling Manager), and continue to get a screen saying "this feature is not currently available".  

What is going on?  Has anyone else had difficulty getting through to Paypal labels today? 

If this is the case (and since we no longer can use Paypal labelling directly if we want the discounts), this is a big concern.  ...

Discounts are still available directly on paypal for eBay sales -- or where still available when I checked yesterday.

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

I  still use PayPal shipping labels by going directly to the PayPal transaction - as I found there was no difference from going through eBay or going directly through PayPal. All buyer info and shipping discounts still available by going directly through PayPal.

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

Very odd.

I tried the three ways that I know to get to Paypal to print postage from ebay the way we are supposed to... and all led to the same dead-end. 

Luckily, going directly to paypal still works. 

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

You usually sell on dotCOM don't you?

For the few PP labels I need, I just go directly to the customer's payment on my PP account and work from there.

Whether or not it's working today I can't say, since I buy labels about once a month.

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

You usually sell on dotCOM don't you?

For the few PP labels I need, I just go directly to the customer's payment on my PP account and work from there.

Whether or not it's working today I can't say, since I buy labels about once a month.

Yes, thanks everyone, I do normally go through Paypal if the eBay link doesn't work, but as 'mjwl'  pointed out, now that eBay has told us we no longer get our usual discounts on the higher services by doing that, we're stuck if eBay's direct link doesn't work. 

I wasn't so much looking for a solution actually, I suppose I just wanted to fume a little over the fact that now there is no alternative, we're reliant on eBay if we want the discounts.  And if eBay's link doesn't work, well, we're hooped.

In this particular case, fortunately I was using Light Packet (no discount anyway, so I went through Paypal), but if I'd been shipping with Expedited or Xpresspost, I would have really been hopping mad.  What's the use of having a discount if you can't access it?  

For me, those discounts are really meaningful, as I frequently ship to the U.S. using those services.  CPC's "Solutions for Small Business" discounts were never as good (although didn't someone recently say that certain services were actually better?). 

Maybe I'm just getting too old to cope with this nonsense, but some days eBay seems hopeless. 

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

I  still use PayPal shipping labels by going directly to the PayPal transaction - as I found there was no difference from going through eBay or going directly through PayPal. All buyer info and shipping discounts still available by going directly through PayPal.

Yes, but be aware that you'll no longer get your generous eBay seller discounts on Expedited and Xpresspost if you go through Paypal.  

That was my original point above -- had I been intending to use Expedited or Xpresspost, I wouldn't have been able to get access to my seller discount.  EBay needs to make their direct link work, all the time, every time! 

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

Yes, but be aware that you'll no longer get your generous eBay seller discounts on Expedited and Xpresspost if you go through Paypal.  

That was my original point above -- had I been intending to use Expedited or Xpresspost, I wouldn't have been able to get access to my seller discount.  EBay needs to make their direct link work, all the time, every time! 

That is not true. The ebay discounts are still available through paypal for ebay sales.

The announcement last January made it sound like sellers had to use the ebay link to get the discount.

In reality it looks more like a case of getting people to use the eBay link before eBay switches to discounted shipping through Shippo -- then expect paypal discounted shipping for ebay sales to disappear.

-..-

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

It worked fine for me as I printed 3 of them an hour ago.

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

Yes you would still have received the discount if you had gone directly to PayPal.  As stated by other posters the situation has never changed regardless of eBay's annnouncement.

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

They're not the same for me. There's a 2 $ difference on Tracked Packet.

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

That's interesting.  I compared the cost of domestic expedited parcel in the last day or two and the price was the same using either method but I hadn't checked tracked packet for a few days. When I read your post I checked it again and today It was about $1.50 more to go directly hrough pp rather than going the pp/eBay route. 

Earlier today I entered my Canada Post small business number, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

That's interesting.  I compared the cost of domestic expedited parcel in the last day or two and the price was the same using either method but I hadn't checked tracked packet for a few days. When I read your post I checked it again and today It was about $1.50 more to go directly hrough pp rather than going the pp/eBay route. 

Earlier today I entered my Canada Post small business number, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Have the ebay/paypal rate always matched regardless of where you printed? I've only ever printed via the paypal side and haven't looked into how that matches up with generating the request from within ebay. If they have in the past and aren't now that probably explains some of the issues we are seeing with the paypal side at the moment as it would indicate they have switched the account that is submitting the rate request. Assuming they are including (not sure if this is live or using a paypal/pitney account) your business number in the rate request through the API, the returned rates should reflect the small business online rates and should align with what EST gives you via the Canada Post site.

When the API request is made it references the user account along with the package information to grab the correct rate table that reflects your rate class and the applicable services. Given paypal is supposed to support the current ebay printing for the next few months it would be kind of a strange setup if eBay's contracted rates were still available via ebay printing, but not if you are generating on the paypal side because they were prompting for a Canada Post account number. This whole thing seems to have been handled very poorly.

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

Yes, in the past the rate has always been the same regardless if I went through eBay or directly to PP.    eBay had announced in January that starting the following day we would have to go through eBay to receive the lower rate so  I guess that day has come.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

After entering my Canada Post account number in that pop up and then discovering Light Packet was no longer in the list of shipping options I drove myself nuts thinking I had clicked on a phishing link or got a virus!  

I tried to ship directly from Ebay, directly from PayPal, I cleared cookies, refreshed my browser, tried to ship from two other browsers as well as my mobile device, restarted my computer, ran a virus scan, network scan.. and nothing helped. I thought I was crazy, but  I am seeing a lot of other people having the same trouble now.

If they have purposely removed Light Packet, what an awful way to go about it!

Message 15 of 34
latest reply

qottie
Community Member

Good morning everyone.  Thanks so much for pointing out the issues with PayPal label printing.  We are aware of the issue (see our announcement for more details), and we are working hard to get a resolution.

In short, PayPal recently made a change to the label printing flow, requiring sellers to register for a new Canada Post account or link an existing one, to their PayPal account.  When this linkage is made, it seems as though eBay sellers see the rates & services for Canada Post's "Solutions for Small Business" offering, rather than eBay rates & services.

As we announced in January of this year, this was an expected behaviour change for labels that were printed when sellers go directly to PayPal, but no change was to be made to the behaviour when sellers click on "Print shipping label" in My eBay.

We are currently working with PayPal to reverse the change on the eBay flow and will keep you updated on progress.

Message 16 of 34
latest reply

We're not seeing incorrect rates, we are unable to print at all in many cases.
Message 17 of 34
latest reply

qottie
Community Member

rose-dee, 

Per my comments below, there was no change made to the eBay link.  However, PayPal made a change in the way they manage label printing across their platform, and it impacted what sellers see on their site when they try to print eBay labels.  This change was not expected and against our agreement with them, so we are working to reverse it for eBay label printing.  

Will keep you posted as we get updates. 

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

mrdutch1001,

You are correct, you will currently get buyer info if you go direct to PayPal, but per our announcement earlier this year, buyer info will soon no longer be pre-populated if you go direct to PayPal, likely in the next month or two.  Likewise, the discounts shown on rates will differ when you go direct to PayPal, but not if you print a label via the eBay "print shipping label" flow (from My eBay).  

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

pjcdn2005,

Good catch - it does seem that the linkage to Canada Post is causing a conflict in the rates and services offered by PayPal, even when coming from eBay.  We are working with PayPal to resolve the issue.  See my post below for more details.

Message 20 of 34
latest reply