Item Description missing

Can you please look at "Al Green - Lay It Down (CD 2008 Blue Note EMI) Near MINT"  The item description seems to say "we looked everywhere" .  Is this just a bug for this one.  Maybe I should amend the listing. 

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Item Description missing

@ricarmic wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies having once been an application developer in a very very much less complicated world in both physical technology ie there weren't phones, ipads, desktops and laptops all running the same software and the software complexity itself, it is a wonder there aren't more problems..... testing in the current world the way we used to in the olden days would take a year to test appropriately before it could be released.

I'm sure the QA world has changed a lot in the last 30 years too...... but changing in place apps that have been running for decades is not easy at all.....

I'm just thinking from a sellers perspective. One buyer arrives at a listing missing those important details and going elsewhere. Never to be seen or heard from ever again. Tough luck doesn't cover it or hold anyone responsible for these never ending issues.

Re: "Sorry about the boat you thought you won but didn't....Apology...We bad...ooopsie!"  

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

Item Description missing

devon@ebay 

Can someone please attend to the listing description issue? Screenshot 2024-05-03 233929.jpgIt's near midnight. I checked my listings from a different computer and location. They still have that stupid kid photo in the descriptions.  That's at least 12 hours this has been going on. 

What the heck??

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

Item Description missing

Update Sat morning 9:30. The issue is still happening for me. It is resticted to certain items new and older listings. I'm suspicious it may be affecting certain types of listing creations such those created with  "Sell Similar" however it's speculation. 

As well the glitch is not on the eBay app. For me it occurs only on computers running Windows 10 and  Windows 11. You do not have to be logged in to experience the glitch. 

If you see this in your listings please report it to technical support. As @lotzofuniquegoodies  has pointed out it will cause lost sales. It may also cause you to receive INADs for items sold bearing NO product descriptions. As a suggestion you may want to keep track of your sales during the duration of this glitch should you get an INAD as a result.

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

Item Description missing

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Update Sat morning 9:30. The issue is still happening for me. It is resticted to certain items new and older listings. I'm suspicious it may be affecting certain types of listing creations such those created with  "Sell Similar" however it's speculation. 

As well the glitch is not on the eBay app. For me it occurs only on computers running Windows 10 and  Windows 11. You do not have to be logged in to experience the glitch. 

If you see this in your listings please report it to technical support. As @lotzofuniquegoodies  has pointed out it will cause lost sales. It may also cause you to receive INADs for items sold bearing NO product descriptions. As a suggestion you may want to keep track of your sales during the duration of this glitch should you get an INAD as a result.

@intimewithmusic 

@ricarmic 

@cbar999 

From my recent testing it is entirely random. (And sure sounds like PC related.) Unsure if there has been any followup on dot com regarding this known widespread issue but there has been crickets on ca as to any response to it being looked into. Unfortunately what happens when a weekend or holiday hits and there is what appears to be no one around "personing" the desk. Something this critical needs immediate addressing.

My last sale was April 27. Before that April 20. Are the negative numbers below connected to this and other recent issues?

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1714842966506.png

lotzofuniquegoodies_1-1714843008132.png

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

Item Description missing

I would say that this probably worries me less than others, a long time ago I began putting everything of consequence in my title as buyers were generally not reading the descriptions. There are of course exceptions, old or some cases where the title just doesn't give room.....

Old style description:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/200942164987 

Newage description:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/204776028654 

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

Item Description missing

Thanks @lotzofuniquegoodies 

I checked with dotcom technical issues list and they have no reports. I'm not sure if we have a TI list here in Canada and am looking for it. I remember seeing a link somewhere to report issues. 

There is an interesting other report on a news channel about the US version app. Apparently eBay has disengaged the listing links to "Sellers Other Items".  The issue there is the link "View Seller's Other Items" exists but is non functional forcing prospective shoppers to abandon the seller's store. Apparently "you don't get what you pay for".

Me thinks too much interference with the back causes conflicts with the front. One of my items the description vanished is a highly viewed/watched item that I just declined an offer on. I will start going through the others...

To those just tuning in...  to clarify, the descriptions are not being deleted, they are just being hidden from potential buyer view on desktops/laptops. So far the actual descriptions seem to be intact.

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

Item Description missing

@ricarmic wrote:

I would say that this probably worries me less than others, a long time ago I began putting everything of consequence in my title as buyers were generally not reading the descriptions. There are of course exceptions, old or some cases where the title just doesn't give room.....

Old style description:

Newage description:

@ricarmic 

@intimewithmusic 

@musicyouneed 

Just spitballing here but as sellers should we really need to reword hundreds of listings because of an eBay generated glitch?

Remember in the past when sellers were constantly reminded to have detailed listings with a quantity of photos and buyers were responsible to review a listing in its entirely before COMMITTING to buy? Did that somewhere go out the window and even more so now with the suggestion to use AI vs taking the time to do things properly?

As a side that could work in some categories but not across the board.

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

Item Description missing

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Thanks @lotzofuniquegoodies 

I checked with dotcom technical issues list and they have no reports. I'm not sure if we have a TI list here in Canada and am looking for it. I remember seeing a link somewhere to report issues. 

There is an interesting other report on a news channel about the US version app. Apparently eBay has disengaged the listing links to "Sellers Other Items".  The issue there is the link "View Seller's Other Items" exists but is non functional forcing prospective shoppers to abandon the seller's store. Apparently "you don't get what you pay for".

Me thinks too much interference with the back causes conflicts with the front. One of my items the description vanished is a highly viewed/watched item that I just declined an offer on. I will start going through the others...

To those just tuning in...  to clarify, the descriptions are not being deleted, they are just being hidden from potential buyer view on desktops/laptops. So far the actual descriptions seem to be intact.

I was able to locate several discussions yesterday on the subject. Unable to find same specific ones today. The 1 I have attached says problem was resolved earlier this morning (post 11). Maybe that was just for the double click with app variation?  There are also discussions saying it was affecting solds which could get very messy for INAD's.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/All-listings-missing-sellers-item-description/m-p/33084937

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

Item Description missing

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@ricarmic wrote:

Old style description:

Newage description:

@ricarmic 

@intimewithmusic 

@musicyouneed 

Just spitballing here but as sellers should we really need to reword hundreds of listings because of an eBay generated glitch?

"Remember in the past" when sellers were constantly reminded to have detailed listings with a quantity of photos and buyers were responsible to review a listing in its entirely before COMMITTING to buy? Did that somewhere go out the window and even more so now with the suggestion to use AI vs taking the time to do things properly?

As a side that could work in some categories but not across the board.

"Remember in the past"? I sure do.  I remember I had to place an order for $25K in Christmas stock just from Yamaha (1 supplier)  6 months before Christmas to guarantee stock. In July you had no idea what the sales would be like Dec 1 to Dec 24! LOL

There is no way to compare the needs of sellers on eBay.

@ricarmic  describes an entire inventory with 80 characters of description. Good grief that's fortunate for him. Stamps don't make sound. They don't require boxes the size of dishwashers. Are there stamps with celebrity's autographs? the point is we're all so much different. 

Here's some 2024 statistics (from "Obero") 

• 16.4 percent of items sold on eBay fall in the “Electronics & Accessories” category, the top-selling category.
  • There are 1.7 billion listings on eBay.
  • $18 billion worth of goods were bought and sold on eBay’s marketplace platforms in Q3 2023.
  • There are 135 million eBay users worldwide.
  • The eBay app is used by 3.67 million users in the US every month.
  • As much as $11.6 billion worth of merchandise is purchased on eBay via mobile devices per quarter.
  • 940,000 eBay sellers use the “Promoted Listings” feature on over 250 million listings.
  • 71 percent of eBay purchases are shipped for free.
  • 94 percent of sellers say eBay contributes to their success.
  • 28 percent of eBay sellers are in the US.

Just for fun we should all try and write a fully descriptive 80 characters or less title for 

John Merrick's bones... 

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

Item Description missing

I think it bears mentioning that I would love for the titles to be longer than 80 characters (note what all I used to include in the description in the "good old days" example).

At least in my world I believe my buyers generally don't read the description,so I've chosen over the last several years to put as much as I can manage into the title. Often there isn't enough room and I make a call for what's most important in the title, and usually I don't bother putting the rest in the description because when I do put caveats etc in the description, all too often I have problems that the buyer as usual didn't read the description anyway.

I've actually had an increasing number of people who are asking a question that is actually answered in the title...so it's not getting better!

My point was only that since I've headed in this direction, the "temporary" glitch affecting the descriptions has less of an effect on me than it does on others....

Message 30 of 35
latest reply

Item Description missing

@lotzofuniquegoodies Here is one from yesterday.  The ebay reps didn't comment on it.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Report-eBay-Technical-Issues/Item-Description-Gone-from-Sold-Item/m-p/...

The thread that you mentioned said the problem was  'fixed' this morning was actually from 2022 so same or similar issue, 2 years later.

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

Item Description missing

@ricarmic wrote:

"I think it bears mentioning that I would love for the titles to be longer than 80 characters (note what all I used to include in the description in the "good old days" example).

The title is the title. The description is the description. There'd be no point in watching "Raiders of The Lost Arc" if the title was the end of the movie. 

The title is where you attract buyers and sell the sizzle. The sale happens later. 

Without a proper description there is no later . On eBay there's no seller protection without a clear description. Photographs limit clear descriptions. thinking sellers should omit descriptions is ludicrous. 

Recently eBay upgraded the importance of video in descritpions. they did this to the point of self hosting the videos. Sellers who sell antiques and vintage items that rely on provinance must add those features to their descriptions.  The current discussion is about an issue that eliminates descriptions, vidoe and prvenance from listings presented to buyers. 

I'm not sure why someone would take the issue lightly. 

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

Item Description missing

@ricarmic wrote:

"I think it bears mentioning that I would love for the titles to be longer than 80 characters (note what all I used to include in the description in the "good old days" example).

Recently eBay upgraded the importance of video in descriptions. They did this to the point of self hosting the videos to increase the buyer trust in products.  I recently invested in a motorized turntable for video which a lot of sellers are doing right now to help buyers examine items in more detail.  Sellers who sell antiques and vintage items that rely on provinance must add those features to their descriptions.  The current discussion is about an issue that completely eliminates descriptions, video and provenance from listings presented to buyers. 

I'm not sure why someone would take the issue lightly. What I understand you are saying is that it's not your problem because you sell stamps.  In my mind you're certainaly a valued part of the community. This should be something you would want to fix. The rest of us depend on listing descriptions to sell our products. 

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

Item Description missing

update 10:15pm Sat

As mysteriously as they dissapeared 2 listing descriptions reappeared on Windows 11. 

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

Item Description missing

@ricarmic wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies I understand that's what others are seeing, but I'm not seeing it (so far) on anyones examples provided here, mine or others.

@cbar999  It'll be another ebay glitch, because some folks (at least me) can see it ok, the description isn't lost, its just not being presented properly and hopefully fixed by tomorrow or someday soon....

devon@ebay 

Hi @ricarmic! This should be fixed and working as intended now!  

Message 35 of 35
latest reply