Listing Items?

Is it worth it to list anything on eBay.ca to try and Sell Items with all this still mail going on?

I am honestly not sure anyone would ever receive their item plus the shipping rates would be higher to make sure the Buyer Actually received the item and not have it go to waste in the system and now look at charging more to have items Delivered Via Courier, by doing so, many Buyers really won`t to Pay for the Higher Priced Shipping Rate to Buy the item.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Listing Items?

This looks like your buying ID so I don't know what you sell.

If you've been watching here you'll have seen those who've shut their stores down since the strike began, to those who slowed down their operations a bit, to those who continued full steam.

I am one of the throttled back folks, my only regret is that I throttled back. I should have kept going full steam.

I am in a "safer" category (stamps) for this kind of situation.

As the others have done, you'll have to balance your risk tolerance (for possible $$ loss and time spent communicating to customers) against the financial reward reopening creates.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

This looks like your buying ID so I don't know what you sell.

If you've been watching here you'll have seen those who've shut their stores down since the strike began, to those who slowed down their operations a bit, to those who continued full steam.

I am one of the throttled back folks, my only regret is that I throttled back. I should have kept going full steam.

I am in a "safer" category (stamps) for this kind of situation.

As the others have done, you'll have to balance your risk tolerance (for possible $$ loss and time spent communicating to customers) against the financial reward reopening creates.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@piperscorner1924 wrote:

Is it worth it to list anything on eBay.ca to try and Sell Items with all this still mail going on?

You can have up to 50 free listings on ebay.CA (and 50 free on eBay.COM).

If you are uncomfortable with mailing anything at this time, you could set up some listings and only allow local pickup (unless you want to avoid local pickup).

Then when shipping has settled again, you can add additional shipping choices to your already set up listings.

As for buyers not wanting to use a higher (tracked) shipping rate -- you could be pleasantly surprised -- it depends a lot on what you want to sell.  Also consider bundling items to make tracked shipping a small percentage of the total price.

-..-

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Personally I think its too risky. I sell vintage toys and people want them by Christmas, not in January.  I quit selling 3 weeks ago and I don't think I'll start until it looks like the mail is moving smoothly again.  

Interestingly, I've started selling on my local buy and sell  (for pick up only) and have been able to sell things on there for more than I would have gotten on ebay - because there is no shipping cost to add.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

As for buyers not wanting to use a higher (tracked) shipping rate -- you could be pleasantly surprised

Keep in mind that we don't have a choice on tracking really.

Canada Post services are either tracked or untracked.

You do have the choice for USA/International of choosing Small Packet which is untracked and starts at $7.18 or Tracked Packet which starts at $14.04.

The cheapest rate is LetterPost which is not tracked.*

If the buyer cannot afford tracking, too bad. Tracking is one of the very few Seller Protections

*Registered Mail is not reliably tracked outside of Canada and costs ~$17.50. So not really an option.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

If I were new to selling, I’d probably use this time to learn and start the process of listing in mid-January.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I totally agree. Christmas would not be the time I'd want to be learning how to sell on ebay. January makes more sense when buyers are not so worried about getting their parcels by a certain day. (I think they used to cal it "Christmas" - But you wouldn't know it from all the "Holidays" ads.)
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Wow, these guys are talented! I'm sure Freddie would have enjoyed this. Blows Pentatonix out of the water.

Happy Festivus everyone! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus
...And a Merry Christmas too!
Message 9 of 9
latest reply